An idea to increase quality of top up RO water!

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after change RO filter for a while like 4 weeks on, the first minute TDS will run up to 100!! a minute or two after, it will slowly drop to 10 or so. I have no time and no budget to throw away filter each month… I then turn to think what could be the reasons of some dino problem, RO quality could be one of them! It is not only about TDS value but also bacteria! During rest of RO filter they are actually the best place for some kinds of bacterias and the will not be completely rushed away with waste water and will flow some into RO water! Especially at the first minute or two!

The my solution comes:

I bought a 12v magnet valve for few bucks and a 3 pors 1/4‘ connector, I split the output from my RO machine into two way, one normally to the base tank of top up system; another one connect to the new valve and goes to waster water pipe.

Time programming: 3 times top up, when each phase begins, my new valve is turned on for 2 minutes, all RO water goes back into earth.. then the power of top up system is turned on, wait for 10 seconds and turn off the valve, RO water goes to my sub tank. The reason for 10s overlap is to avoid RO system turns off power as my top up has a 5 seconds delay before it opnes its valve!

I can recall lasted time I replaced all the filters in last October! The first 2 minutes average TDS is about 60 now, and the TDS goes into tank is under 8! and for every time!!

I am a lazy man to be honest, I would switch my schedule to change filters from 3 months to 6 months now on. And I can reduce of opening time of maget valve at beginning like 30 seconds, and increase slightly every month.

The cons is obvious, I have more wasted water of course, but compared to my previous time and the quality of water I would turn blind to it!

So it could be an ultimate solution for those who looing for long term quality of top up water, or any other good suggestion or criticise ?

DA9D0DA0-B866-49C5-AB47-337C0D39CCC8.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
left white pipe is the main output. blau goes to tank and right white pipe goes to my basin

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you sure you are not reading the input side of the filter (vs output)?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after change RO filter for a while like 4 weeks on, the first minute TDS will run up to 100!! a minute or two after, it will slowly drop to 10 or so. I have no time and no budget to throw away filter each month… I then turn to think what could be the reasons of some dino problem, RO quality could be one of them! It is not only about TDS value but also bacteria! During rest of RO filter they are actually the best place for some kinds of bacterias and the will not be completely rushed away with waste water and will flow some into RO water! Especially at the first minute or two!

The my solution comes:

I bought a 12v magnet valve for few bucks and a 3 pors 1/4‘ connector, I split the output from my RO machine into two way, one normally to the base tank of top up system; another one connect to the new valve and goes to waster water pipe.

Time programming: 3 times top up, when each phase begins, my new valve is turned on for 2 minutes, all RO water goes back into earth.. then the power of top up system is turned on, wait for 10 seconds and turn off the valve, RO water goes to my sub tank. The reason for 10s overlap is to avoid RO system turns off power as my top up has a 5 seconds delay before it opnes its valve!

I can recall lasted time I replaced all the filters in last October! The first 2 minutes average TDS is about 60, and the TDS goes into tank is under 8! and for every time!!

I am a lazy man to be honest, I would switch my schedule to change filters from 3 months to 6 months now on. And I can reduce of opening time of maget valve at beginning like 30 seconds, and increase slightly every month.

The cons is obvious, I have more wasted water of course, but compared to y previous time and the quality of water would turn blind to it!

So it could be an ultimate solution for those who looing for long term quality of top up water, or any other good suggestion or criticise ?

Its a phenomenon known as TDS creep.

If you are running RODI they take a 3 way ball valve and call it a DI bypass valve to combat this issue. Dump the effluent for 2 minutes then direct the flow through the resins will take care of that.

You should not be replacing RO membranes every few months. They should last years. You might want to look into your source water for chlorine/chloramines as these will reduce life of a RO membrane very fast. You would need to combat it with a more robust carbon filter made for chloramines.

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but are you sure you are not reading the input side of the filter (vs output)?
quite sure!

the picture is slightly confusing, that is due to long pipes I have not reroute then yet, but for sure other you will neber get a TDS 5 from the wrong side!!

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are running RODI they take a 3 way ball valve and call it a DI bypass valve to combat this issue. Dump the effluent for 2 minutes then direct the flow through the resins will take care of that.

You should not be replacing RO membranes every few months. They should last years. You might want to look into your source water for chlorine/chloramines as these will reduce life of a RO membrane very fast. You would need to combat it with a more robust carbon filter made for chloramines.
actually my system is quite powerful with 3 main filters and 3 membranes and then one cabon and a DI, and input water for this system is softer water, I am lazy not gonne to make more big change, it works for me now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 20

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quite sure!

the picture is slightly confusing, that is due to long pipes I have not reroute then yet, but for sure other you will neber get a TDS 5 from the wrong side!!
Never say never, we have a whole house filter and get < 10 routinely on the input side after flushing.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually my system is quite powerful with 3 main filters and 3 membranes and then one cabon and a DI, and input water for this system is softer water, I am lazy not gonne to make more big change, it works for me now
It sounds like you over complicated a custom solution where a simple one has already been devised and executed lol.

This simple valve goes in line on the product water side of the RO membrane before it goes into the DI resins.
You turn the valve horizontally and high tds water from the tds creep when system is off will flush out of your membrane.

That phenomenon is not whats killing your RO mebrane though....and your system is not robust if you are destroying membranes in a few months.....

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you over complicated a custom solution where a simple one has already been devised and executed lol.

This simple valve goes in line on the product water side of the RO membrane before it goes into the DI resins.
You turn the valve horizontally and high tds water from the tds creep when system is off will flush out of your membrane.

That phenomenon is not whats killing your RO mebrane though....and your system is not robust if you are destroying membranes in a few months.....
actually my system has that, I have done a flushing today happenly AFTER several months!! how often will you guys run it??

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually my system has that, I have done today happenly AFTER several months!! how often will you guys run it??
I degas my RO so mine stays open until im ready to make DI water. Tds creep doesnt bother my system at all since it gets diluted in the RO mixing bin before it ever sees my resins.

If you dont degas, you just open it before you turn on your source water. Leave it open until the RO product effluent tds is at its normal level vs elevated.

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I degas my RO so mine stays open until im ready to make DI water. Tds creep doesnt bother my system at all since it gets diluted in the RO mixing bin before it ever sees my resins.

If you dont degas, you just open it before you turn on your source water. Leave it open until the RO product effluent tds is at its normal level vs elevated.
I relay on the system run full automatically, the water comes from my softner goes into my RO system and then connected directly to my automatic top up system, as said 3 times a day. I have no idea of degas…

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

how often do you dump the effluent?

fmp47

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The my solution comes:

I can recall lasted time I replaced all the filters in last October! The first 2 minutes average TDS is about 60 now, and the TDS goes into tank is under 8! and for every time!!

The cons is obvious, I have more wasted water of course, but compared to my previous time and the quality of water I would turn blind to it!

I have a whole house filter. Water going into riding is usually 47tds. Makes a big difference. Change spectra pure filters every 14 to 16 months. Change to filters every 5 to 6 years using Spectra pure protocol.

OP
OP
Bigair

Bigair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a whole house filter. Water going into riding is usually 47tds. Makes a big difference. Change spectra pure filters every 14 to 16 months. Change to filters every 5 to 6 years using Spectra pure protocol.
thank you for reply

I would have one concern for your solution, mineral water would be better for human health, low tds water contains very limited minerals and ph is also lower. have get that into consideration?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back