An inexpensive battery-backup option that works quite nicely: the 'mini UPS'

nately

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having got my tank to a state where I'd be upset to lose its inhabitants, I went looking for a battery backup option.

The choices I could find were:
- Purpose made, pump specific 12V DC options like the ecotech marine battery backup; $319 AUD
- More general purpose made options like the IceCap; ~$150 AUD and sold out everywhere
- A cheap UPS that gives 240V AC (120V for the USians) for about 30 mins; $120 AUD

I found this: 12V 2A Mini UPS battery backup, and bought it to try it out.

Similar items on eBay go for about $50 AUD. They're basically designed to sit after the AC adapter, charge from the mains power and automatically kick in when power cuts out. This one consists of 6x 2000mAh Li-ion batteries. They're marketed to be used for wireless routers, security cameras etc - but they suit my purposes perfectly.

Mine runs a Hygger Mini Wavemaker at full power for about 8 hours. It sits between the AC adapter and the wavemaker controller; the wires included fit perfectly. I imagine it could work with a DC return pump too; I didn't bother as I don't have backup for my heater so the return pump doesn't offer any extra benefit.

It probably isn't the most reliable piece of equipment ever built, but it's a drop-in solution that seems to do the trick.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info! Those reef brand battery back ups are too limiting for me. I just want one to be a little more universal so I can justify the price tag you know

OP
OP
N

nately

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I think branded versions are a bit of a rip off. As long as you've got a 12V DC device, this should work. The only issue being it won't send the wavemaker into a low-power mode (to my knowledge).

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back