An Inherent Flaw in LED lighting-- Why all LED fade, and what you can do.

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long post but, here we go. I'll start at the basics.

In layman's terms, essentially when a LED is created, there's a substrate that is laid down, usually a crystal lattice. This substrate sits between your LED and your wafer from the chip. This substrate sits on top of that wafer and unfortunately the process of LED Wafer chip manufacturing is pretty complex, and ultimately the substrate almost always develops micro cracks to some extent as a result of this, or most likely, micro cracks in the die used for making the semiconductor.

These cracks are called Threading Dislocations. Ultimately, they get bigger over time and multiply when the chip on the LED itself is exposed to high temperatures.

This ultimately means that in layman's terms, for a LED to work, you take a board, you coat it with a net negative impurity, then a net positive impurity over that, then when a charge is applied, the negative electrons travel between the two layers to fill a hole in the positive layer. This process is supposed to emits a photon, if all the electrons have a pathway to meet a proton partner.

If they don't find this partner however, (let's call this electron, "Barnabus"
) It's because instead of Barnabus having to travel a mile to their friend with benefits, Carol's house, now the city installed a huge tower apartment complex across the street with lots of hot beautiful women. Because Barnabus is actually a lazy vampire and takes the path of least resistance, and they view love as a binary event, a reason to feed, They don't actually care about Carol, they just want the closest food possible. So they go across the street.

Because Barnabus goes across the street now, he has no reason to walk back down that road and meet up with Carol, and Carol no longer has any reason to keep the outside lights on anymore.

When they do this, eventually everyone else in the area gets the same idea over time and more and more of these buildings open up across from eachother.

As this happens, these people in the country begin to develop mental health problems they didn't have before when the previous system was working. Other parts of their life may begin to crumble or fall apart when they begin to compare themselves to what they too, could have..... (The chip begins to lose it's ability to do the job properly and begins creating a lower threshold for a breakdown voltage event to occur, eventually conducting current in reverse.) Once this reaches about 5V, most manufacturers of LED will short circuit and or failsafe. This is virtually never going to happen, but this is why your LED dim over time, and because this threshold is lowered, it means it's more likely that additional reverse bias from a voltage spike or ESD would cause a complete premature failure.

That said, basically after about 3000 hours of burn in on most led they won't get any dimmer. There's not really an efficient way to test that either however, it looks like the average usable life sites somewhere around 35-50 k hours and your typical CFL is 8-10k, and metal halide is 7.5k-20k.

So at most, led change every 4 cfl replacements, and at least, led change every 6 cfl replacements or 7 mh replacements. To maintain peak. But this assumes you run 100% capacity. Most of us do not. So I think over time, and some might already be experiencing this, there is a meaningful shift in PAR even on nicer lights, if in consistent use. But with a value at this level, and 12 hours a day of use, this could still be 3-4 years you are looking at before it becomes a problem, in theory. So the key is to purchase the biggest light possible, run it at the lowest power to reduce stress and maximize your cooling ability relative to the entire fixture, and you'll get a lot more use out of them because there's less energy turning into heat overall.

Some sources :

Thanks for coming to my LED Ted talk

Tl;Dr

If you want to save a lot of money on this hobby, replace your LED on your fixture once a year and make sure your lights have enough heatsink or cooling so as to slow down microcracking aka thread dislocation process.

Running your lights at lower power and having more of them, can also extend the life of your LED.

If you opt not to replace your LED, increasing your current to the LED to compensate will accelerate the thread dislocation process, but if you plan on buying new lights in the next 1-2 years, it's not worth getting upset over.

If you replace your LED, you can ultimately control your spectrum as well if you wish to make some changes to it.

If you are electrically inclined, making sure your light's fans are always on either by rewiring or by selecting the option is always a good decision, as is adding a heatsink such as aluminum and doing things to improve the airflow around your tank. This will not only help your LED, but ultimately most tanks are oxygen deficient at some level, especially if you aren't using a skimmer, or you have the tanks in a room that doesn't get open windows, etc.

I'm not suggesting you liquid cool your lights, as that too, will likely cause dimming. But be aware that the likely issue with your lights dimming resides exclusively within the individual LED wafers, assuming you don't let heat become such an issue that it damages your actual board.

So yep, that's what I spent the last day reading about on depth.

In a weird twisted way, a dimmer light is a better light, and the best designed light is going to be designed to limit things it can actually mitigate, like output and heat.

I'm not sure that's a $800++ price tag, but you as a customer need to do your due diligence here and read the articles above to come to your own conclusions and begin asking questions to manufacturers that will
A: Improve the hobby

and

B: Give you a reliable product that matches your expectations as a consumer.

You know, the problem with LED is the technology moves so quickly, most of these degradation arguments are pointless for everyone except people like us who seek extreme stability long term for something like light output.

I can say with confidence that whether you buy the most expensive LED or the cheapest, there is little to no way to do quality control manually at the level that is required to determine each LED without the use of Machine Learning, AI centric, Camera-Based algorithms that are designed to identify them based off of regression models.

I will tell you with confidence that virtually nobody will do this because the length of time for these to fail is such that most protocols replace them before it becomes a relevant problem that could cause life or death or massive loss situations.

Ask anyone here growing coral and or running a website how often they replace their lights? Their pumps? Heaters?

I'm not telling you to go buy GHL or go buy Radion, or buy a black box. I'm telling you the product that you all want doesn't exist because there's a inherent requirement to replace LED regardless of manufacturer because of the above design flaws present in all LED.

So, if you really want to keep customers as a lighting manufacturer, it might make more sense to design the LED to be as easily replaceable as possible, and sell those so that if a customer thinks their blues aren't all there, and you as a manufacturer can sell them the new kit, then great.

But don't go around changing key spectrum or coverage when people already trust your product and enjoy it.

Personally I think maximizing your surface area for heatsink is just about the smartest thing you could do to help mitigate dimming.

Light manufacturers with good fans or huge heat sinks, or both? Major props to you for thinking of longevity for the customer instead of putting a spotlight on a metal plate of circuits with a small cooling fan that is ready to heat up in a hurry or maybe even too hot to touch sometimes.

Anyway, I figured this community deserves to have this information presented to them and I feel I can make a much more informed decision about LED and LEd lighting deaign as a whole after reading the above articles.

Maybe some other people heavily involved with the process of designing LED can chime in here, but I just want people to be aware that there's a difference between radion and say, Maxspect, but the most important thing to look at isn't necessarily something you can test by turning it on or putting in a spectrometer. I the case of LED, assume all will eventually fade and die if given enough time. So look for ways the manufacturer has found solutions to successfully mitigate the problems that exacerbate that process, so you get as much life out of your lights as possible, regardless of what you paid for them, and regardless of what you have right now. You can take steps to extend your LED life, but as I went to great lengths above, I hope now you will be able to identify them.

What a beautiful world to live in and have the extremely privileged opportunity this hobby affords us.

Peace and love,

Kyle

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyle
I never changed a led(bulb) in my life. I think they are soldered to the heat sink, or not easy to swap out.
Is this true?
Do any mfg’s make led lights for reefs that are “plug Nplay” or unplug and replace with out solder?

I got distracted by the wild led that is swapping electrons with neighbors, thanks for the description and help for the new frontier. Try to keep the descriptions less provocative for better reproductivity in the family room discussion.

Thank you.
screw this lauren conrad GIF by The Hills

OP
OP
AKG

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kyle
I never changed a led(bulb) in my life. I think they are soldered to the heat sink, or not easy to swap out.
Is this true?
Do any mfg’s make led lights for reefs that are “plug Nplay” or unplug and replace with out solder?

I got distracted by the wild led that is swapping electrons with neighbors, thanks for the description and help for the new frontier. Try to keep the descriptions less provocative for better reproductivity in the family room discussion.

Thank you.
screw this lauren conrad GIF by The Hills
I know Radion sells pucks that are plug and play, as does Luxdium.

As far as LED replacement, it seems to vary wildly by model but some have a history of people taking them apart and doing mods, usually with photos or pictures. It's not extremely complicated but you do need some basics like isopropyl alcohol, thermal paste, hot glue, a soldering iron+solder, and basic understanding of what to replace them with, but usually that information is freely available either online or on the LED itself.

Usually it's thermal paste to the heatsink and of you buy a black box sometimes it's actually a super skimpy amount.

Sometimes though depending on the model, like my nicrew 150w, you can't take them apart without risking losing the ability to hang them because the bolts that hold the lights together also hold a female thread that is easily overtightened or torqued, often superglued in place, and easily snapped.

Soooo my best advice in that case is do some searching on forums, YouTube, etc.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have established that LEDs wear out over time. Should I just go back to fluorescent and Metal halides? Are there any other considerations that should be taken into account?

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the writeup. Lot of stuff I am not sure I understand lol. Having said that I am not sure that at least for me I need to. I got a ton of various LED lights and never really had an issue growing coral with them as they age. If my Blackbox LED that's over a decade old has lost some power in the past decade its not enough to be noticeable with my par meter in the tank and it still works just fine and grows coral for me.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have established that LEDs wear out over time. Should I just go back to fluorescent and Metal halides? Are there any other considerations that should be taken into account?
I had some LED failures on mine for UV LED's and a string of royal blue LED's but the fixture was in use for 9 years. It is a DIY fixture so I replaced the LED's. I also had to replaced some of the wiring that was near the UV LED's the insulation was crumbling off the wiring. The white LED's were OK but they are 3 amp LED's with a 1.5 amp driver and still were run at 50% of that. The other royal blue string was also ok.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some LED failures on mine for UV LED's and a string of royal blue LED's but the fixture was in use for 9 years. It is a DIY fixture so I replaced the LED's. I also had to replaced some of the wiring that was near the UV LED's the insulation was crumbling off the wiring. The white LED's were OK but they are 3 amp LED's with a 1.5 amp driver and still were run at 50% of that. The other royal blue string was also ok.
Sounds like a heat dissipation issue that caused the brittle wiring. I love finding the limits of a particular system and then finding a way to stretch that limit.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why buy 1000$ lights, then run it at 20%, and extend fixture life for a year more, when u can buy fixture for 200$, run it at full, and replace it when needed.

5 units, for same money, lets say running at full will give them 3 working years... And, 1000 units running reduced will last 5 years, 2 year longer than unit running at full.

15 years of use for 1000$ vs 5 years if using for 1000$.

Really not sure, but at least i hope for progress and improvement in reef led lighting in next 5 years, let alone in next 15....

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a heat dissipation issue that caused the brittle wiring. I love finding the limits of a particular system and then finding a way to stretch that limit.
It was only the wiring near the 4 UV LED's that had that issue and the heatsink they are all on is very large and has cooling fans. Each LED was mounted to a single star that was mounted to the heatsink. I used three LED's per star on the replacements. So I now have 6 UV LED's instead of 4. The royal blue string ended up being one LED that was out but I went ahead and changed the whole string of six LED's. In the photo below the ones on the right were the bad parts. The ones in the bag ended up being good. The second photo is the wiring that was changed. The third photo is the lights back in place and on.

0AEF5694-2243-49CD-9AE2-11FBF7875EAF.jpeg

0B37A10B-9ABF-4750-A2EF-2D81D9118C12.jpeg

251E97A4-555D-44A7-A53F-BDEF1D817056.jpeg

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they do not recommend replacing them yearly nor is that their use case.
No not at all. More of a failsafe position.

A bit more on manuf "as I see it"
1) No light uses "top shelf bins" in all likelyhood for 2 reasons.
a)cost
b) availability

As a made up example manuf. of leds involves producing variation in a production run.
Best to shoot for best AND most likely produced.
bin.JPG

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write-up on the LED issues that many of us DIY's had researched many years ago.

I have a DIY Led array running for 6-1/2 years now on a small nano reef. At the time it was clear that the commercial units available were deficient in a number of areas, but then the brand new LANI LED array caught my attention, and I adopted the concept of lots of emitters each run at lower power for more even coverage. Today, we have more advanced units overall, but most are not designed for a very long life for the typical reasons of reduced manufacturing costs and planned obsolescence.

The array I built uses an oversized heat sink to accommodate a larger than typical number of emitters run at lower power levels which also eliminated the need for fans. Since creation, I have only needed to replace the violet/hyper violet emitters as I ran them at intensity levels close to my 'blue' channel for a few years to emulate what is found in nature, but this eventually caused noticeable emitter degradation (I have since dialed the violet channel back to a more modest 1/2 the blue channel's PAR level for longer emitter life). All other emitters have functioned flawlessly (other than losing one or two early on) and looking back on my initial PAR level records degradation has been minimal (a few percent points at most).

https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/370285-nano-sapiens-12g-diy-pwm-led-build/#entry5256957

If I had to invest in a commercial unit today, I know exactly what kind of form factor I would invest in :)

Last edited:

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I told you it was cheaper to replace the T5s every 2 years.

Ignoring the 'told you so' argument this can more or less be calculated since both bulb and LED kits have lifecycle numbers attached to them. Take the life expectancy or hours and let math answer this.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignoring the 'told you so' argument this can more or less be calculated since both bulb and LED kits have lifecycle numbers attached to them. Take the life expectancy or hours and let math answer this.
Awhile back I did a crude analysis of "state of the art" mh/t5 vs "state of the art" LED.. Rough break even point was 5 years.
Used 1.5yr bulb changes and no ballast failures.

Catch of course was at 5yrs you still had an "old" led light
BTW those 10 plus years ballasts are probably a thing of the past..

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back