An opinion and experience of keeping Moorish idols

香港reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there people!

Im a semi newbie in the saltwater hobby, advanced fish killer as I have kept a lot of fish to death. However I am becoming more and more aware of my fish keeping methods in the past and im now evolving and learning constantly about how to keep aquatics well animals well and about everything in this amazing hobby.
First of all, moorish idols are one of my favorite fish and I believe a lot of you guys love them as well. And would at some point of time take one of these fish home. It is undeniably true that these fish are decorations that are very appealing to the human eye but will break even with the mildest tickles. In these 3years into the saltwater side i have kept over 12 moorish idols and none of them lived to tell the story that how bad of a reefer I am. However through this species i have learnt to do intensive research on everything that i want to put in my system and providing what they need are the most important keys to success. But anyways enough of this and i will be sharing my experience and what i have learnt about the Moorish idol.

MY BRIEF UNDERSTANDING OF BIOLOGY AND BACKGROUND IN MY TINY WALNUT BRAIN:
Moorish idol or the spined moorish (Zanclus cornutus), is a species of rayed fin fish that belongs to the order Acanthuriformes, rabbitfishes, tangs and a few other families belong to this order, family Zanclidae aka moorish idols, and the species itself. My opinion, besides of the looks of the fish is special, its classification is also very interesting. It is the only living species in its family. The species have an extinct cousin tho... Eozanclus brevirostris, so they are like tangs and butterflyfish and rabbitfish but sort of in between. Moorish idols inhabit most of the tropical oceans, anywhere from the pacific, Indian ocean and what have you. Reaching up to a size of 25cm, they feed primarily on sponges and algae, as well as other benthic inverts and small animals. In large reefs they form huge schools around the reef fringes but they also live on their own or as a mated pair. Very very active fish. They are of course, mainly used for ornamental fish and in some places for food purposes(I will get to this in a sec).

MY ANECDOTAL EXPERIENCES:
Out of the 12 unlucky individuals the one that lives the longest is 3 months. Due to a velvet outbreak. However i have concluded that there are a few aspects that may be fairly important when it comes to keeping them healthy for a decent amount of time. I will be cutting those aspects into a few parts and will share my overall experience with the moorish idol. (Disclaimer, the following are not very accurate and definately not an instruction manual for success in any way).

1. TANK MATTERS
AT LEAST A 100 GALLON TANK FOR 1. Bare minimum I would say, these fish like to swim, they swim for miles in the ocean. Too small can stress them out and they would die as these things are super allergic to stress. I tried to put them in smaller tanks and they didnt live as long as the ones in my 120 gallon reef. They need a lot of space to scretch and swim.

2.PROVIDE DECENT TANK ENVIRONMENT
Please give a good and stable water quality, or else they can have ich and other protozoan diseases very quickly, these fish have a very weak immunity to such things. Also provide a scape which can provide caves to swim behind in and graze on, these fish graze all day everyday on the reefs, for any experienced hobbyists try your best to have some sponge and some algae or nori in your tank at all times to get them grazing, this can help replenish their diet so you dont have to feed often. I dont recommend a bare tank, they will be extremely stressed, if you have a large bare tank then at least put some caves in. Trust me, i tried and they dont do well in bare environments long term.

3.NO CROWDED TANKS, NO BULLIES
If you have a crowded tank and wanted to keep a moorish idol, dont even think about it. Moorish idols may seem calm when swimming with schools of other fish or its own kind in the wild but its not the case in an aquarium, having big fish bumping around and killer damsels side by side is nothing similar to the ocean, moorish idols also fight one and other until one is left. I would suggest its best to add ONE morish idol to a spacious reef tank that is lightly stocked and has open spaces. Avoid too much tangs, other moorish idols and generally aggressive fish is the way to go. Or simply add the moorish idol early on and add the aggressive fish later so to provide time for the idol to settle in. Moorish idols doesnt take bullying kindly and if it is overly stressed or being injured by other fish then you would most likely find ich or velvet all over its body if the issue is not addressed well. And they are hard to treat as well.

4.CHOOSE A HEALTHY INDIVIDUAL FROM A GOOD SOURCE
Ok after you got your tank to meet moorish idol standards, the next step is to buy yourself the right fish. I suggest to buy a moorish idol that is either freshly shipped( buy straight with the bag) or a moorish idol that is very established and stayed healthy in a healthy system for a long time (Getting one from other hobbyists, or fish out a very generous amount of cash and ask the shop owner for that 3 year old idol in his display). Before you curse me down in the comments please hear me out. The reason I suggest to buy straight with the bag is because the holding tanks in some shops do not have very good water quality and may be jam packed with fish, the food competition and the stress is also very intense so the idol might be starved, these are the places where fish diseases are very common. The idol will likely get those diseases shorty after exposure to the infested water, the fish in the holding tanks might also injure the idol as the place is way too crowded and stressful. So you might be getting a sick and injured moorish idol at the end of the day. While the idols are usually packed individually for shipping so they do not share water, thus chances of being infected are technically lower. So it might be better off to buy it before it got exposed to infested water. Getting a very established idol can increase success drastically because it is likely to be adapted to captive environments. While choosing the fish, observe the fish for a few minutes to see for any obvious signs of diseases or parasites and any weird behaviour, if you see one that has spots all over, head twitching, heavy breathing, clamped fins, damaged or completely dislodged dorsal spine, thin body with its spine visible, injuries, laying on its side etc, AVOID AT ALL COSTS. A healthy idol should be fat, swimming smoothly, chasing other fish, looking around and pecking here and there. Also if you have the chance please do ask the retailer to feed it, if it eats then that might be a good specimen to start with. Also choose idols which are 2.5 to 4 inches. Too small cant handle shipping well and too large rarely adapt well to captive life. Moorish idols in my city are dirt cheap, usually I pay for about 40 to 60 Hong Kong dollars(5 to 7.5 USD) for a 3 inch. Very cheap but the quality are usually very bad.
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-20 at 3.17.54 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-20 at 3.18.43 PM.jpeg

The average environment of an LFS here in Hong Kong, this is a well known fish store that has a very interesting way of selling fish. they put fish into small cubicles which are connected to a same sump, and customers can get a net and a cup to scoop out the fish they want, bring it to a counter and the employees there will bag em up and ask you to pay. Unfortunately i cant blame anyone for treating fish like this, it is a reality here.

Another cool thing, as said moorish idols are found around almost all tropical oceans, single or small groups of moorish idols can be found around Hong Kong's wasteland oceans. Sometimes in rare occasions moorish idols are accidentally being caught by local fishermen and they will sell those in seafood markets at a jaw-droppingly cheap price, ive tried to obtain one and quararntine them, but those are usually quite huge( usually 5 to 7 inches) and are almost impossible to keep because a most of them are severely injured by nets and the fishemen normally dont know how to handle them.
WhatsApp Image 2022-04-20 at 3.45.32 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-20 at 4.04.31 PM.jpeg

This one is sitting right around a corner in a seafood store, photo credit from another hobbyist.

According to him and after talking to other people on Facebook, people claim that they taste like triggerfish and filefish but in between, rough texture and has a strong taste of seaweed to it. There are also some Japanese recipes on moorish idols on the internet. As a matter of fact i would like to try one if i can find one. Hopefully I can write a food review thread here on R2R lol.

5.PRACTICE QT! THATS AN ORDER
Please quarantine your fragile moorish idol, i know it must be very tempting to put your moorish idol in your DT right away, but i hereby STRONGLY WARN that you MUST NOT do this in the name of the safety of your DT and your idol. Please QT your idol for a period of time before adding it to your DT. In my opinion its just not only for quarantine, you should keep your idol in that holding tank for an extended time to observe it and condition it. I tried to get a large non transparent tub from IKEA and it does better than transparent tanks. The tub must be as big as possible. I live in a very small apartment, the best i can do is a 40 gallon tub. For you house dwellers I think the bigger the better. Then treat that QT tub as another DT as you should keep the idol in there for like 2 months. Here is a checklist of what I bought to set up this QT.

1.Big a** non transparent tub (reduces stress and can avoid the scratching of its beak, broken beaks will stop them from eating ), bigger the better
2.PVC pipes for the idol to retreat in (rarely)
3.A few pieces of CLEAN live rock, even better if the rocks have sponges growing on them.( optional as it can harbor and breed parasites)
4.Salt (for water changes, you will be doing this more frequently)
5.A hang on back filter (Highly recommend as they are east to maintain)
6.A light (keep a regular day night cycle, or similar to your DT)
7.Meds (copper, prazi, formalin etc)
8.Disposable filter media (sponge or cheap bio rings)
9.Powerhead or pump

I suggest to set up the QT some time before you get your idol as you should cycle it with high quality bacteria, I used API quick start, Seachem stability and Microbacter start XLM, can get the job done if you only have 1 fish in a big system. Idols are really better of in cycled water. Do 100 percent water changes quite constantly and run the tank with hyposalinity. Moorish idols can have fluke, ich or velvet outbreaks frequently when newly added so remember to do short FWBs in advance. I use cheap filter media is because i can toss them into the trash and refill the new ones in, the big 2 (ich and velvet) can attach themselves on those materials easily. I found tossing them out and add new ones in while doing complete water changes are really effective on keeping parasites at bay. And keep the water parameters stable, in stable water the idols are less stressed and chances of having diseases will be a lot lower. To ensure bacterial presence in the media, I kept the whole sack of disposable media in my DT sump to let bacteria to seed it. Avoid the reliance of meds and pre treated water as in my experience moorish idols do a lot worse when in medicated water constantly. Of course use the meds accordingly only when necessary. Keep the idol in the QT for 2 months and the longer the better, this is to let your idol to adapt to captive life and get used to your food, they need more time to adapt than other fish. Overtime the idol should have disease outbreaks less often and fattens up if given the right food and environment. When it is really healthy and is disease free for a long time, add to your DT slowly and best in a breeder or isolation box, it will be easier to catch once it has diseases again or anything bad happens, as well as allowing interaction between it and the tank gang.

6.FEED PROPERLY
People always claim that moorish idols are extremely hard when it comes to getting it to eat, i think it is the complete opposite though, among the 12 unfortunate individuals, 11 of them ate fiercely almost instantly the second I put the in QT, if you chose a decent quality fish they will eat pellets readily. In the wild idols mainly graze on sponges, tunicates and algae all day long. So remember to try different foods with some sponge in it, or add sponge amino acids into the food, also feed high fibre vegetable base foods. They must be fed a lot of times a day to cope up with their high metabolic rate or else they will wither quickly, there should also be something in the tank for them to graze. The longest idol ive kept, I fed it with Hikari seaweed extreme, Hikari algae wafers and hikari marine S pellets dipped in Brightwell phytochrom and Angelixr. Fed small amounts 5 to 12 times a day. And provide nori, cabbage and peas on a clip to let them graze, i also collected some sponge at the pier behind my school during lunchtime and chuck into the freezer, i fed it like this in DT and in QT. The idol turns out to be very fat and healthy until the DT velvet apocalypse struck. Unfortunately Hikari mega marine angel is not available in Hong Kong or else it can make things easier. These are not the fish that only need a few sprinkles of food every other day.

CONCLUSION
Ive failed to keep moorish idol alive for a long time but i tried my best. Moorish idols are really really fragile and not for me whiny noobs, and should be left for you pros out there, must need a lot of time and dedication to have little chances of success, im just here to share my experiences and give some anecdotal advice on the husbandry of these fish, and really want to discuss about this interesting species with someone. Hope yall have a great day and please look forward for my food review on a moorish idol. Really passionate on this hobby and I HAVE to write this even my finals starts tomorrow. Happy reefing everyone!

OP
OP

香港reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 30+ years reefing I haven't known anyone who has kept one for more than a year or so even though they've claimed they've been able to get their moorish idols to eat. I'd like to see this fish removed from availability lists myself.
Yes, I can confidently day that moorish idols are very very easy to get earing but almost impossible to keep alive afterwards

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve kept a moorish idol for 6-8 months but then returned it because it absolutely destroyed corals. Here’s my experience:

1. Absolutely not reef safe. Horrible with LPS corals specifically.

2. Get a juvenile. They are easy to accept food.

3. They handle QT very well. Don’t skip it.

4. Don’t buy more than one. They will fight (I tried and returned them after a week). Tank mates will not help it survive better.

5. Feed lots of high calories dense foods: Nori, pellets, LRS fish frenzy, Reef Mastik.

6. Be aware that these fish may have a shorter than average lifespan. Experienced people kept them for 5-7 years. They mature very fast which is a sign of a younger lifespan.

My thread on my experience keeping the moorish idol: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/my-attempt-at-the-infamous-moorish-idol.859981/

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait so someone that has killed 12 Moorish Idols and never kept one alive longer than 3 months is sharing advice on how to keep Moorish Idols? For real?

Please - stop buying Moorish Idols.
Sorry, but did this add anything to the conversation, or just object?

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but did this add anything to the conversation, or just object?

It seems pretty irresponsible to me. It's alarming that some of you seem to be OK with this. We're not in this hobby to experiment with the lives of animals - sure, things happen. We do our best to take care of them, some of them are challenging. But to continue to buy them to a count of 12, fail at caring for them (beyond even 3 months), then go on a forum to post "advice" seems pretty wrong to me. So yeah, I object.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems pretty irresponsible to me. It's alarming that some of you seem to be OK with this. We're not in this hobby to experiment with the lives of animals - sure, things happen. We do our best to take care of them, some of them are challenging. But to continue to buy them to a count of 12, fail at caring for them (beyond even 3 months), then go on a forum to post "advice" seems pretty wrong to me. So yeah, I object.
Given the standard position is "you cannot keep these in captivity", I appreciate any and all experiences that people share. Good or bad this shared experience is a positive for the hobby and moves the hobby forward. There was a time when nobody could keep acropora in their tanks. Due to people trying and sharing, almost anyone can keep them.
If killing 12 fish is the cutoff then I am sure that most reefers would fall into your irresponsible catagory.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the standard position is "you cannot keep these in captivity", I appreciate any and all experiences that people share. Good or bad this shared experience is a positive for the hobby and moves the hobby forward. There was a time when nobody could keep acropora in their tanks. Due to people trying and sharing, almost anyone can keep them.
If killing 12 fish is the cutoff then I am sure that most reefers would fall into your irresponsible catagory.

Generally I would agree with you, and part of the appeal of this hobby is that it's not all figured out yet, and we're all still learning. But my point is how does this post in particular move the hobby forward? The guy has clearly not had any success. Also - there's a difference between killing 12 fish and killing 12 *of the same kind of fish*. At what point will he give up? Moorish Idols tremble when this dude walks into the LFS.

We learn what works from positive results. This guy doesn't have positive results, yet he offers a rambling summary of his unsuccessful experience as advice. @Miami Reef 's thread is a much better example, and much more responsible.

I just feel bad for the fish. My 2 cents.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally I would agree with you, and part of the appeal of this hobby is that it's not all figured out yet, and we're all still learning. But my point is how does this post in particular move the hobby forward? The guy has clearly not had any success. Also - there's a difference between killing 12 fish and killing 12 *of the same kind of fish*. At what point will he give up? Moorish Idols tremble when this dude walks into the LFS.

We learn what works from positive results. This guy doesn't have positive results, yet he offers a rambling summary of his unsuccessful experience as advice. @Miami Reef 's thread is a much better example, and much more responsible.

I just feel bad for the fish. My 2 cents.
I'll just reiterate that any information shared is good information.
Condeming people that share their lack of success is not the best way forward. There is a lot that can be learned from others shortcomings.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are people out there keeping these animals for 1 year-5 years, sometimes longer and they’ve only gone through 2-3 in most cases, if you have gone through 12 then something isn’t going right and even I would’ve stopped trying that species, and I’m one for the rare/“impossible” to keep species.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Condeming people that share their lack of success is not the best way forward. There is a lot that can be learned from others shortcomings.
I totally get you but again, going through 12, with the longest lived only being 3 months and still trying that species is just experimenting with lives at that point, nothing to do with the ornamental side.

2-3 and I could understand, even then you can still give advice and help but 12 and none of them getting to 3 months except one isn’t right IMHO.
Getting 2-3 to stay alive for a year or longer is success, going through 12 with the oldest being 3 months old is what I’d say is failure at that point unfortunately.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this.

Condeming people that share their lack of success is not the best way forward.
Disagree in this case - this guy is absolutely deserving of condemnation, in my opinion. He's killed 12 of these poor fish. With literally zero success (3 months max). That's shameful and irresponsible. It's not good for the hobby at all, and I'd be embarrassed if anyone considering the hobby read this post, frankly. As a community, we shouldn't be OK with this. IMO.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this.

Disagree in this case - this guy is absolutely deserving of condemnation, in my opinion. He's killed 12 of these poor fish. With literally zero success (3 months max). That's shameful and irresponsible. It's not good for the hobby at all, and I'd be embarrassed if anyone considering the hobby read this post, frankly. As a community, we shouldn't be OK with this. IMO.
Fair enough. We disagree, but that is not what this post is about. Do you have any Moorish Idle experience that you can share?

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with this.

Totally agree. This is the sort of post that certain people will read and fully support banning of all saltwater fish collection from the wild. Because this guy has bought 12 of these fish, supporting the capture of moorish idols from their homes in nature only to be essentially be killed in 3 months when they could have had a longer life in the wild. But money is coming in, in the purchase of these fish, so therefor more will continue to be picked out of their natural habitat only for people like this to continually kill them. And then post about it for all to see, possibly those that want to find support for reasons to make more restrictions and bans on wild caught fish.

Toob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. This is the sort of post that certain people will read and fully support banning of all saltwater fish collection from the wild. Because this guy has bought 12 of these fish, supporting the capture of moorish idols from their homes in nature only to be essentially be killed in 3 months when they could have had a longer life in the wild. But money is coming in, in the purchase of these fish, so therefor more will continue to be picked out of their natural habitat only for people like this to continually kill them. And then post about it for all to see, possibly those that want to find support for reasons to make more restrictions and bans on wild caught fish.
Exactly - and then our response, as a community, is “great write up, bro!”

Embarrassing.

Back