An overview of 3D Printing in the reef aquatics hobby

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There comes a time in this hobby that something breaks, or a custom solution is needed, and you wish you can just make it like a scene in some old science fiction movie. For my last tank build, I needed more stable legs for an egg crate frag rack, a flow nozzle, a floss/carbon holder, […]
Source

Continue reading...

Marc K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. Is there a good basic starter printer you would recommend. I noticed you had one of the Creality units though I’m not sure which model. I have seen the Ender 3 units for sale at pretty good prices.

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the write up. Is there a good basic starter printer you would recommend. I noticed you had one of the Creality units though I’m not sure which model. I have seen the Ender 3 units for sale at pretty good prices.

I suggest the Prusa i3 MK3. Hands down, this printer makes quality prints without a lot of tinkering. There are other printers that are considered "starter" printers but usually they require upgrades for all the features that come standard with a Prusa. I use a Prusa almost every day. Also, Prusa makes their own filament. For years I would buy the cheapest I could find on amazon or makergeeks.com, etc. with disappointing results. But, I just use my first 2 rolls of Prusament PETG for a few DIY parts with water contact, and I'm very impressed. My prints came out perfect first time. I just finished printing my own MP40 anemone guards, a few DIY float switch brackets and I'm working on a custom moonlight brackets to mount on my Kessil A360s.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to be careful with what plastic you use?

Just seen down the recommendations on plastics, that's a really good write up

NinjaTiLL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you need to be careful with what plastic you use?

Just seen down the recommendations on plastics, that's a really good write up

Yes, you have to be careful with filament material. You're best bet is to stay with ABS or PETG filament. ABS is a PITA to print with IME so I default to PETG. PETG is very forgiving and prints reliably. PETG prints as easy as PLA (which is the easiest to print with but is technically "biodegradable" and may have negative effects in saltwater) but PETG is supposed to be inert. I suppose there are PETG brands that don't do well in water so in this case, I suggest using a good quality filament from a reliable company. I went with Prusament because you can view their QA results for each roll of filament by scanning a QR code on the roll. If you buy PETG off Amazon, you get a no-name company with sketchy information on what exactly goes into their filament. I have a bunch of cheap PLA laying around which I will use for non-water-contact parts. If it touches the water, then I use PETG.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Prusa as well. I didn't really want to create a new hobby. Friends at work have the Chinese clones and they will print well but require more maintenance. I don't think the Prusa has ever failed to print by a fault of it's own.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not too expensive either. I was using Fusion 360 to design my new tank, but was considering other uses and 3D printing, so I might treat myself.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back