Analysis of the 3 most beautiful reef tanks on youtube

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have said it before, I think 99.999% of reef tanks are ugly. I tried to create a top 10, ended up setting for 7, should have been just 3.

In my quest to find out what makes a reef tank beautiful, I will try to analyze these 3 reef tanks. Each of them is completely unique and while the last 2 share some traits, the first one is quite different.

There's 3 things they all share though: They look like a portion of a reef that was collected whole and placed inside a tank, they have sand and white light,

The first is a tank from Nyos at Interzoo 2018 in Germany.

It's a statement minimalistic piece. It's also a miniature of something you could find on a natural reef and that's why it gets away without any mature looking colonies. The mini colonies and frags are arranged on a 2 branch rock structure.

It's still a mess of corals, with one of each thrown in, but because of the small size of the rock structure, it works.

Having said that it's a mess, it's a stunning mess and I dare anyone to try to achieve that. Those corals are not randomly placed at all.

The fish selection is wise: a few small fish, including a small yellow tang to further enhance the sense that this scape is a miniature of what you could find on a natural reef.

The main lesson that I take from this scape is that a miniature of a portion of a reef, works.

Another lesson is that small tanks are easier to aquascape.

Even a small tank like this transmits a sense of freedom because there's so much space around the suspended scape and there's only a small number of small fish.

The sand plays a huge role here accentuating the minimalistic look of the tank and creating a stunning contrast with the richness of the corals.

There's absolutely no sense of depth, the structure is just an art piece at an exhibition.

I would have loved to see a maxima clam at the base of that structure.

The corals have been recently put in their positions and this is an instantaneously beautiful tank.

I'm sure that in an year this tank would have looked breathtaking.

The 2nd tank is by Ali Atapour.

It's a master composition of common soft and lps corals that, once again, recreates something that wouldn't look out place if it was transported to the ocean.

There's a similarity to freshwater aquascapes in the way it almost looks like a forest. The forest invites you into the dark.

There's no frags here, there's just a few mature colonies of just a few species. There's not much color either aside from the goniopora and it really stands out against the muted palette of the rest of the corals.

The corals dwarf the fish like it happens in nature and they don't stand out.

It's a minimalist scape built with mature colonies. There's nothing messy about it and the open sand on the left lets this mature scape breath.

It looks effortless, but the retraint needed to achieve something like this is almost inhumane.

No flashy colors and an extremely restricted diversity. He just used the most basic corals to sculpt and paint the tank.

My Coral Garden -

The last tank is once again, something you could see transported to the ocean and it would look natural there.

It's a tank by JoePeck66.

It's a tank with mature colonies arranged in a way that once again invites you into the forest of corals. I've never seen a tank look as deep as this one.

Each side of the valley has large colonies ziguezaguing in layers all they way to the back. It's like a photo of 2 queues of people with the heads peeking over the shoulder of the person in front of them, trying to appear in the picture.

There's small colonies at the end of the valley contributing to the sense of depth through forced perspective.

There's a showpiece right at the front: the magnifica. It contrasts both in color and in the fact that it moves. It's positioned according to the rule of thirds.

The corals once again dwarf the fish and this tank shares another trait with the previous tank: the shadows. In this time where the trend seems to be to cover the tank with a blanket of light, the shaded areas are one of the most beautiful components of a reef tank, creating areas of mystery and contrasting with the sand and other brightly lit areas of the tank.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many parts of the natural reefs are also ugly and when I'm diving I'm always attracted to small bommies surrounded by sand. Those bommies look super clean and manicured.

It's funny you mention diving, because these 3 scapes remind me of 3 specific diving experiences.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their preferences, but there are somethings eveyone likes: deep looking tanks is one of them and that 2nd tank looks deep.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has their preferences, but there are somethings eveyone likes: deep looking tanks is one of them and that 2nd tank looks deep.
I love how you tell him that no, he’s wrong and everyone likes that tank because you think so. Also weird that you say 99% of reef tanks are ugly, while on a reef tank site.
this whole post is super opinionated and sounds like you basically just wanting to start an argument with how it’s worded. Have fun I’m out.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys, it's not about that at all. Please read past the 1st paragraph of the 1st post.

I see what the freshwater guys are able to achieve and our reefs pale in comparison, while we're dealing with arguably the most beautiful creatures in the world.

Those guys create tanks that seem to go for miles and miles, play with composition, light, shadow and color like master painters. We don't see that applied in reefs.

This tnread is an attempt to look at what are the most beautiful reefs I've seen and try to understand why they look beautiful.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But I get what he was saying, a mustard tank is an uncomon look. But nothing would make that gony as beautiful as being surrounded by that mustard forest.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In person is always very different, it's 3D :)

I would rather have seen that tank than any public aquarium in the world.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had FW and SW tanks, FW tanks IMO are pale and even boring in comparison to SW tanks.
I believe you have to visit more build threads here and in other forums. There are many beautiful and colorful tanks in R2R.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different strokes for different folks. See those master aquascapes you're mentioning I happen to think are cold & boring. Those types of tanks to me look like they were created by the guy from American psycho. I wouldn't say they're ugly, but they just don't do it for me. I respect the hardwork & passion don't get me wrong.

I like a little chaos like you find in nature personally.

Last edited:

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I like all 3 of those tanks but there’s a ton of tanks on this forum that I think are just as nice or better. Heck I think my own tank will be in that category once the frags develop more.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most boring part of all these 3 tanks is the fish selection. I think of them as living sculptures.

The most interesting tank I ever had was a 36" half cube with sand, a dozen shells in the centre and 6 Tanganyikan shelldwellers. It was also ugly.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last years I've searched high and low for beautiful reef tanks and these are my top 3 and I decided to analyze them and see if I could learn somethings that I could apply to my own tank.

The main things for me were how to make the tank look deep and the value of dark areas.

I would love to see examples of what everyone considers the most beautiful reefs they have ever seen.

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back