Analysis of the 3 most beautiful reef tanks on youtube

Hermie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not gonna lie, I probably don't vibe with 75% of tanks out there, maybe more. Whether it's coral selection, placement or something else.

A big challenge with reef tanks is that corals grow much slower than plants. So it's not as easy for hobbyists to "imagine" what the tank will look like down the road and plan for it. It's much, much harder to aquascape saltwater than freshwater, which is why people don't do it IMO.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen tanks with 500 1"frags and ones with full colonies you cant see the 6ft back to the wall of the tank.
Its up to the owner. Your making your own ecosystem.
D

Shaka_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped reading after the title and the first sentence of your post. I get why 99.999% of reefers find this offensive but luckily for me, I’m in the 0.001% ;)

This is clearly a subjective post, and the OP is certainly entitled to his opinion.

littlefishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The goal with the interior of my aquarium was to create a tiny part of a natural reef without bother about 1.618 or center pieces. I have model my aquarium in the way it looks best in my eyes not after some theoretical principles

The result today is that you can find both 1.618 and a center piece in my aquarium. The Golden section A:B in my aquarium is 0.74:0.46 (total length - 1.2 m) and 0.17:0.27 (visible height 0.44 m). And I promise you - this was not my intent even if I know about the theories - as always with me - theories should be overruled and tested. Image my surprise when I took out the ruler today and check my numbers :D

Here is my aquarium with two dominating structures - the Seriatopora bush and the largest clam below plus the "flak" structure to the left

golden.jpg

My tank is only 300 L (80 G) and 120*50*50 cm. In order to create something interesting and living I also decided to work with light and shadows - creating a little more "virtual" depth in the tank.

channel.jpg

corner.jpg

There is also a lot of areas that you cant spot directly from the front - even a lot of corals that you not see the first 10 minutes. My fish selection is concentrated on small species - and/or species that normally is very stationary in their nish. Some exploring species is also included. I have try to create an aquarium there the fishes just swim and doing normal fishy things and avoid species that have huge hunting territories in the wild. I have done one exception with one of my favorites - the copperband butterfly. But - in the mornings I often regret this choose because when it is brighter in the room than in the tank, he / she can see that there is something else outside the glass. It results in a nervous up and down swimming along the side glass - searching for the way out to the unexplored. If I feed a little or covers the side glass - it stop this behavior ans instead start to cruise the aquarium for food.

I agree with the thread creator - Saltwater and aquascaping seems often to be two words that is as compatible as Apple and Microsoft are (or as I use to say as incompatible as the two words Good and Mornings:D)

Look closer on that tank - you will found exactly what the thread creator try to highlight - the number 1.618

Your welcome

Sincerely Lasse
That is an awesome tank, Lasse!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know why I find 99% of reef tanks ugly.

They lack depth, they have an inverted proportion between the size of fish and corals and suffer from the fact that we collect 1 of each coral species. Add blue light and no sand and you get a disco nightmare.

People study all sort of visual arts, from painting, to cinema, architecture and all of them share a few basic principles. Why should reef tanks be imune to these principles and a similar study?
Because it's not art, is pet keeping.
I have dogs, cats, fish, inverts and corals.

We are creating homes for our water animals and do the best we can. Obviously we all don't have forests for our dogs and cats to run free in, but we take them on walks and go in our yards to give them somewhat a feeling of free, the same applies to a fish tank.
I really don't like the term "hobby" or in your case "artwork" for keeping my water animals.
I feel that if you're expecting artwork to be present in an aquarium based on artistic rules and laws, you are looking at the aquarium wrong. It would depend on perception, which angle you look from may not be the intended angle it is supposed to be looked from. Perception is everything in art.

If I'm on a train going 100 mph, you stand on the platform waiting for the train and it goes past you, we see each other through the window, who is moving 100 mph? Is it me standing still in the train or you standing still on the platform?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the OP is a genius to be honest. He insults 99.999% of reefers. Then he posts his own YouTube. Now you have no choice but to watch his videos. Whatever it takes to get more views I guess! Don’t fall for it lol
Didn't watch any of them, but I did post my own incase anyone wants to see my tank too, lol
I felt that a good ol' YouTube spamming might be in order lol

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m lost with this thread and the meaning behind it.
your tank is nice and I’m sure a lot of people would agree. Why would you call it ugly?
If you don’t like it, do you even enjoy the hobby?
At the next reefapalooza, you should set up a stand with a banner that says “reef tanks are ugly. Change my mind”.

that’s basically what I’m getting out of this.
Personal opinion like someone saying it the “best”

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's not art, is pet keeping.
I have dogs, cats, fish, inverts and corals.

We are creating homes for our water animals and do the best we can. Obviously we all don't have forests for our dogs and cats to run free in, but we take them on walks and go in our yards to give them somewhat a feeling of free, the same applies to a fish tank.
I really don't like the term "hobby" or in your case "artwork" for keeping my water animals.
I feel that if you're expecting artwork to be present in an aquarium based on artistic rules and laws, you are looking at the aquarium wrong. It would depend on perception, which angle you look from may not be the intended angle it is supposed to be looked from. Perception is everything in art.

If I'm on a train going 100 mph, you stand on the platform waiting for the train and it goes past you, we see each other through the window, who is moving 100 mph? Is it me standing still in the train or you standing still on the platform?

One of the things that bothers me is the common attitude in the freshwater aquascaping world that everything is disposable and is there most of all to serve the beauty of the scape.

Keeping a reef tank involves dealing with a variety of subjects.

There's the emotional connection to the animals, the chemistry, the gear, the maintenance, etc. Each one of us goes as deep as we want or can in each of these areas.

On top of this, most of us want our tanks to be beautiful. I believe most of us easily know what we like but we lack the knowledge to achieve it and just shrug and say it's a matter of personal taste and natural talent. It's not.

OP
OP
Ardeus

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like sw tanks ardeus?
D

Haven't you read that I find them ugly?

Before having a saltwater tank I had freshwater tanks and I was obsessed with one of the the ugliest fish you can find. I uploaded over 500 hours of videos about them.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I could make a visually appealing and eye pleasing reef if I had the money .. lol to start my tank I bought 40lbs of dead rock through Amazon due to budget, without seeing the actual pieces, I ended up with basically two large boulders not much to work with , I like my windex tank

Attachments

• 62639643-E8F8-4018-A9B8-53F64A05CF1C.jpeg
    62639643-E8F8-4018-A9B8-53F64A05CF1C.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 46

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
obsessed with one of the the ugliest fish you can find
On behalf of Neolamprologus multifasciatus, I protest. Its one of the most lovably fishes ever exist :p:p:p

Sincerely Lasse

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back