And a ricordea i just won off of ebay...

DallasNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Cardgenius.

I have spent some time reading over at reefcentral, it seems everyone "brags" how thier T5s are soo bright, that thier shrooms and Ricordias are shrinking away. Is there much truth to that? Or is it a matter of proper light acclimation?

I have a used 175w MH set up, so I was considering using that with maybe 20K XM bulbs. ( I also have an icecap 660 VHO set up)

MH: Nice color, I already own most of what I need, but may heat up the tank too much, more electricity to run. Love the shimmer lights.

T5: Nice color, maybe too birght? less heat, less electricity to run, have to buy endcaps and reflectors. No shimmer lights.

Was hoping others on here would give me thier opinions, especailly the ones with alot of ricordias, as I'm sure the zoos will do well under either.

What T5 bulb combination would be recommended for a zoa+ric tank? 4 or 6 bulb?

Would (2)175w 20K XM be good as well? (maybe with supplimental flurecents as required)

I love the shimmer lines, I caught a few lines where people say they have recreated them with LEDs, but havent seen any real proof of that.

Thanks again for your opinion and everyone elses..

Dallas

jonbar1

Growing Out
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep them shaded!!

I had two R. floridas shrink up from the MH, and only now that they are almost completely shaded are they starting to come back. I'm running a 70w Ushio 14k on a 12 gallon AquaPod and think it's time to switch to 20k and hope it has less PAR.

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine under 250 watt halides only about 14 inches from the bulbs-my growout at school is under 250's as well and those are even closer-florida rics can take a lot of light, you just need to make sure they are adjusted.

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the yellows.

I agree that Florida Ricordea do best under high light. I have my pinks less than 12 inches directly below 150 watt halides and they love it. Just have to be careful acclimating them.

Here is a recent pic taken with flash under 14K phoenix.

pinkricordea725pix.jpg

DallasNYC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyones info.

It sounds like most people like the MHs. I will probally stick with my set up and play with the bulb colors.

Wow, those Pink and Blues look amazing. Ive seen good things written about the pheonix 14Ks. Too bad they only come in the double ended.

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have mine under radium 20ks, they do really well. They will bleach QUICK if you dont acclimate them to the high light though, but once they are they grow like crazy

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh sorry here is a picture of one of my broodstock systems at school-I just set this one up a few weeks ago. This is a picture from the School of Marine Science catalog, I will try to take some of my own this week and post them.

Attachments

• coral1.JPG
    coral1.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 171

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, those pink and blues are amazing. Are they bleached, or are they really that pink???

Hey Matt, when do I get a pass to come see that in person? Huh? Huh???

LOL
Laurie

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marvin. Now I need to upgrade to an SLR so I can get some nice pics like yours.

jessiesgrrl- not bleached at all, and this is their true colors.
The one on the bottom had just finished digesting a meal so it is a little closed up.

TyreeUM-That is a pretty cool setup. Those rocks will be covered before you know it. Do you ever force split them or do you just let nature take its course?

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah those rics on the rocks are just conditioning "brood stock" I do conduct research on them but I cut and grow hunrdreds of them on the side.

Azurel-I got your PM-you got one back.

Laurie-You got a PM-your finnex tank buddy will be here tomorrow, if your not ready for him let me know I will just hang out with him for a week or so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back