And MACNA 2019 is in ... Orlando, Florida at the Walt Disney Swan and Dolphin Resort!

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, with so many events, unless you are presenting something, why go to so many. I would like to go just to go one time, but not make a yearly thing out of it. I'll pick Reef Dreams 1st and then maybe hit Macna just because it does move around and Reefapalooza doesn't. Serious question, not criticizing, just curious.

I’ve only gone to MACNA

I go because

-friends
-new products
-livestock
-education and lectures
-new locations to visit

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only gone to MACNA

I go because

-friends
-new products
-livestock
-education and lectures
-new locations to visit
I was just curious, I would like to go to the event just to see what its about, probably will pick Macna just because it does move around and its within a 7 hour drive for me in Orlando. Another question, are their any deals their on equipment, frags and such, or is it mainly to show what is coming out like a auto show?

Servo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious, I would like to go to the event just to see what its about, probably will pick Macna just because it does move around and its within a 7 hour drive for me in Orlando. Another question, are their any deals their on equipment, frags and such, or is it mainly to show what is coming out like a auto show?

There are always show deals. You can get killer deals on complete set ups as the dealers usually don’t want to take some of the stuff back home. There’s a bunch of give aways and freebies plus the raffle is wicked.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve attended 14 MACNAS. The clubs gave the event different feels. IMO, having an event planner do most, if not all the foot work, places profit over experience. In the past, depending upon how many early sign ups the club would get added bonus for the attendees. I didn’t quite get the same feel in Vegas. Maybe it was just me. I’ll see how Orlando goes and how it compares to ORCA’s 2010 event. I’m still looking forward to it. With so many events, you need to set yourself ahead of the competition.

14 MACNA events is pretty awesome. My wife and I went to New Orleans and loved it. Before that we went to the one in DC; that’s local for us. DC was great too. Skipped Vegas just because I’ve been there before and gambling isn’t my thing, and well, when in Vegas...

Seriously considering 2019 Walt Disney/Orlando.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MACNA has more of a party feel to it. It’s a community get together. You have a couple community meals with drinks and entertainment and speeches and there are workshops etc...

Never been to another large event. Some of the other large events seem to revolve around corals and sales from 9-5. Seem to be less of a community event and more of a sale with lots of corals for sale. MACNA is definitely more of a Trade show with some corals. My wife and I made a vacation out of MACNA New Orleans. So, if your into Disney, it’s right there.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, with so many events, unless you are presenting something, why go to so many. I would like to go just to go one time, but not make a yearly thing out of it. I'll pick Reef Dreams 1st and then maybe hit Macna just because it does move around and Reefapalooza doesn't. Serious question, not criticizing, just curious.

Aquashella looked like a great event. Personally I would probably pick it over MACNA. Of course I liked the fact it wasn't strictly saltwater.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to the website last week and this weekend. It appears that they are not discounting conference tickets for early purchasers. Probably something new as the local clubs aren’t responsible anymore and there are third party administrators paid to administrate. I think every time I’ve looked in the past, there was a discount for committing and purchasing early. If I remember correctly, the full passes with banquet etc. are like $139 and $154 depending on your choice of meal. Still pretty good and exciting, but I’m thinking at that price, it doesn’t increase as we get closer to the event.

Tickets were $119/$134 until this year's MACNA ended and then they increased the price $20 right away. I am skipping next year. I didn't like the beef upcharge in New Orleans or this one and the hotel room discount comes out to be about $15/night and makes them the most expensive rooms since I have been going. Plus being Labor day weekend travel will cost more. I bet they increase the prices as it gets closer, they did for the 2018 MACNA, so why wouldn't they for 2019?

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tickets were $119/$134 until this year's MACNA ended and then they increased the price $20 right away. I am skipping next year. I didn't like the beef upcharge in New Orleans or this one and the hotel room discount comes out to be about $15/night and makes them the most expensive rooms since I have been going. Plus being Labor day weekend travel will cost more. I bet they increase the prices as it gets closer, they did for the 2018 MACNA, so why wouldn't they for 2019?

Never saw the $119/$134 rate; available only to those at MACNA? I’ve been Googling it, but only found the site after the post from Reef Builders. If the ticket is already $154 that’s higher than previous years. For New Orleans, they were at that price around May.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/macna-discount-for-r2r-members.303830/

There’s a $15 dollar surcharge for whatever with the hotel. Maybe that’s what your referring to re the hotel discount. They have it posted with and without. MACNA advertises a rate of $235 for a deluxe alcove. If you call the hotel directly, it’s $303. That’s a pretty good discount.

I really enjoy MACNA, but I get not wanting to go every year. Also, it doesn’t help if you’re not into the venue.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As usual, at a non family friendly time so can't make a vacation out of it. Maybe one day!

Labor Day weekend is non-family friendly?

Went to the website last week and this weekend. It appears that they are not discounting conference tickets for early purchasers. Probably something new as the local clubs aren’t responsible anymore and there are third party administrators paid to administrate. I think every time I’ve looked in the past, there was a discount for committing and purchasing early. If I remember correctly, the full passes with banquet etc. are like $139 and $154 depending on your choice of meal. Still pretty good and exciting, but I’m thinking at that price, it doesn’t increase as we get closer to the event.

MACNA is not run by a "third party administrator". It is being organized and run by MASNA and local club volunteers the way a national association should be run. This move away from having clubs do it on their own will only help to improve the experience over time. Coming from someone who literally put himself in the hospital immediately following the MACNA I Co-Chaired, it is far better to operate in a MASNA organized way. Most people have no clue what it takes to create and operate an event such as MACNA as well as RAP, Aquashella, etc. It is a year round endeavor to do it right and on top of that you will still get people who whine about one thing or another. When you have literally 2,000 - 3,500 people walking through the doors of an event, somebody is bound to get upset because of something. I think MASNA is doing a good job of making moves to better the educational experience that is all to important in today's world. Attend MACNA to learn, not just trying to buy the latest Purple-Left-Handed-Sparkle-Jukebox-Blossom acro. If we don't all get educated on what's happening in the hobby and industry all of these shows won't have anything for you to see or buy in a year or two.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

3 days is no where near enough time, especially when 2 of them are taken up by MACNA and the 3rd would be travel time. Ideally you would come in the weekend before and have all week to do the family stuff. Then during MACNA the wife and kids could do stuff while I'm at the show. With kids in school and the wife teaching that is impossible. Make it in June, July are the first part of August and I would probably attend every year.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MACNA is not run by a "third party administrator". It is being organized and run by MASNA and local club volunteers the way a national association should be run. This move away from having clubs do it on their own will only help to improve the experience over time. Coming from someone who literally put himself in the hospital immediately following the MACNA I Co-Chaired, it is far better to operate in a MASNA organized way. Most people have no clue what it takes to create and operate an event such as MACNA as well as RAP, Aquashella, etc. It is a year round endeavor to do it right and on top of that you will still get people who whine about one thing or another. When you have literally 2,000 - 3,500 people walking through the doors of an event, somebody is bound to get upset because of something. I think MASNA is doing a good job of making moves to better the educational experience that is all to important in today's world. Attend MACNA to learn, not just trying to buy the latest Purple-Left-Handed-Sparkle-Jukebox-Blossom acro. If we don't all get educated on what's happening in the hobby and industry all of these shows won't have anything for you to see or buy in a year or two.

Hi Dave,

I think it's great that you, like me are impassioned about the hobby. I don't think my comments take away from the fact that the local clubs, volunteers, MACNA, and MASNA are great things for us and the hobby. I was at MACNA in 2017 in New Orleans when MASNA announced that it was paying to bring in someone professionally with professional experience (that is to be paid) to help manage/assist with administration/organization and to move some of the burden away from the local clubs. That's great. No volunteers should have to work or stress so hard that they need to be hospitalized or feel completely overwhelmed.

People including but not limited to myself may have questions about what this means for end user attendees and the event itself. I'm sure Las Vegas was great. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I have seen people post, or like you wrote "complain", about the differences they noticed between Las Vegas and events prior to 2018. I'm not upset, and I'm not bashing you. I'm not trying to take away any laurels or rewards from anyone volunteering their time, pouring there hearts into their efforts, and contributing to make this event happen for everyone in any way.

I quote from my post, after writing the price went up - "Still pretty good and exciting". Notwithstanding, I think it's reasonable for people to have questions when there is change. For example, when there is a newly hired paid administrator/organizer, whether their check says MASNA or otherwise, if the reason there appears to be no early bird discount is linked to this change or otherwise. It's not MACNA bashing, it's not volunteer bashing, and it's not complaining. It's an observation and a question. And not just me, but other people are going to ask questions and make comparisons whether reasonable or not. And people already have and will continue to do so.

It appears there was a discount, as someone posted earlier, they wrote it ended when MACNA 2018 ended. Still don't know if the discount was available to everyone online or just attendees. It's only September 20th, so are discounts offered for early purchasing a thing of the past for MACNA? Or is the $154 the early purchase discount? Not unreasonable questions for people willing to pay out money a year in advance and plan a vacation a year in advance.

I'm sure that everyone that attends MACNA, myself and my family included, attend for several reasons (education being just one of the many great things we enjoy) and not just as you write for the "Purple-Left-Handed-Sparkle-Jukebox-Blossom acro" or to make purchases. On the other hand, vendors do participate to provide a Trade show, sell products, generate future sales, and promote brands (as well as help hobbyists). So is MASNA/MACNA not encouraging people to spend money at their events on vendor products?

Kudos again for putting your time into your local club, and for co-chairing your local MACNA event. Clearly, I touched a nerve, and for that I apologize. I hope your hospitalization was short and your recovery full. As someone who has never volunteered to help at a MACNA, I and my family depend upon people like you to make the event a great success for all. Thank you.

Happy Reefing,
Gary

dzones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave,

I think it's great that you, like me are impassioned about the hobby. I don't think my comments take away from the fact that the local clubs, volunteers, MACNA, and MASNA are great things for us and the hobby. I was at MACNA in 2017 in New Orleans when MASNA announced that it was paying to bring in someone professionally with professional experience (that is to be paid) to help manage/assist with administration/organization and to move some of the burden away from the local clubs. That's great. No volunteers should have to work or stress so hard that they need to be hospitalized or feel completely overwhelmed.

People including but not limited to myself may have questions about what this means for end user attendees and the event itself. I'm sure Las Vegas was great. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it. I have seen people post, or like you wrote "complain", about the differences they noticed between Las Vegas and events prior to 2018. I'm not upset, and I'm not bashing you. I'm not trying to take away any laurels or rewards from anyone volunteering their time, pouring there hearts into their efforts, and contributing to make this event happen for everyone in any way.

I quote from my post, after writing the price went up - "Still pretty good and exciting". Notwithstanding, I think it's reasonable for people to have questions when there is change. For example, when there is a newly hired paid administrator/organizer, whether their check says MASNA or otherwise, if the reason there appears to be no early bird discount is linked to this change or otherwise. It's not MACNA bashing, it's not volunteer bashing, and it's not complaining. It's an observation and a question. And not just me, but other people are going to ask questions and make comparisons whether reasonable or not. And people already have and will continue to do so.

It appears there was a discount, as someone posted earlier, they wrote it ended when MACNA 2018 ended. Still don't know if the discount was available to everyone online or just attendees. It's only September 20th, so are discounts offered for early purchasing a thing of the past for MACNA? Or is the $154 the early purchase discount? Not unreasonable questions for people willing to pay out money a year in advance and plan a vacation a year in advance.

I'm sure that everyone that attends MACNA, myself and my family included, attend for several reasons (education being just one of the many great things we enjoy) and not just as you write for the "Purple-Left-Handed-Sparkle-Jukebox-Blossom acro" or to make purchases. On the other hand, vendors do participate to provide a Trade show, sell products, generate future sales, and promote brands (as well as help hobbyists). So is MASNA/MACNA not encouraging people to spend money at their events on vendor products?

Kudos again for putting your time into your local club, and for co-chairing your local MACNA event. Clearly, I touched a nerve, and for that I apologize. I hope your hospitalization was short and your recovery full. As someone who has never volunteered to help at a MACNA, I and my family depend upon people like you to make the event a great success for all. Thank you.

Happy Reefing,
Gary

I purchased my tickets ONLINE just prior to MACNA 2018 ending and they were $119 each on the website which is an increase of $20 from last year at that time. That price, as you mentioned, was only until Sunday night at midnight, the last day of MACNA 2018. I know last year they kept that $99 price longer, I just do not recall how long, and then they jumped to 119 I believe, then another jump to 139. From what I can recall from years past it has always been that way, increase in pricing as the year goes on to promote earlier sales and revenue streams I imagine.
Unfortunately I only looked at the price of chicken as that is what my wife and I always get.

I too skipped on this year as we only attend the eastern US shows and make a vacation of it. Personally I was happy to hear that MASNA was taking it over, more so to help ease the load on the clubs and create a more "routine" style of show. I think MACNA has really just gotten too big for a club to pull it off without issues like what happened to poor Dave and I can't help but think many of the club leaders went through some brutal weeks and months leading up to their shows as well. I feel each year will get better as they learn from the previous one and I honestly do not mind the slight increases in pricing for this change. I kind of think it will mean more people, especially the local clubs, will enjoy it more as time goes on.

FirstContact

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased my tickets ONLINE just prior to MACNA 2018 ending and they were $119 each on the website which is an increase of $20 from last year at that time. That price, as you mentioned, was only until Sunday night at midnight, the last day of MACNA 2018. I know last year they kept that $99 price longer, I just do not recall how long, and then they jumped to 119 I believe, then another jump to 139. From what I can recall from years past it has always been that way, increase in pricing as the year goes on to promote earlier sales and revenue streams I imagine.
Unfortunately I only looked at the price of chicken as that is what my wife and I always get.

I too skipped on this year as we only attend the eastern US shows and make a vacation of it. Personally I was happy to hear that MASNA was taking it over, more so to help ease the load on the clubs and create a more "routine" style of show. I think MACNA has really just gotten too big for a club to pull it off without issues like what happened to poor Dave and I can't help but think many of the club leaders went through some brutal weeks and months leading up to their shows as well. I feel each year will get better as they learn from the previous one and I honestly do not mind the slight increases in pricing for this change. I kind of think it will mean more people, especially the local clubs, will enjoy it more as time goes on.

Yes, I remember my local club President describing how grueling and committed the experience was and what an emotional roller coaster experience it was to get to the end successfully. I guess I’ll need to start looking during the current MACNA date if I want to take advantage of the discount for the next MACNA. I just never really saw it advertised and don’t remember seeing an email. Alas, you found it, so I must have missed something.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dave,

I think it's great that you, like me are impassioned about the hobby. I don't think my comments take away from the fact that the local clubs, volunteers, MACNA, and MASNA are great things for us and the hobby.

I have seen people post, or like you wrote "complain", about the differences they noticed between Las Vegas and events prior to 2018. I'm not upset, and I'm not bashing you. I'm not trying to take away any laurels or rewards from anyone volunteering their time, pouring there hearts into their efforts, and contributing to make this event happen for everyone in any way.

Sorry Gary if my post sounded like I was upset or offended. That was not my intention. I wanted to just point out that the event wasn't being out-sourced or handled differently than MASNA running it themselves. While it was a lot of work and we certainly had our fair share of obstacles, I did enjoy hosting MACNA. I am proud of the fact that people were amazed at our Friday night reception on the bay (including fireworks compliments of another event on the pier just south of ours) as well as the overwhelming number of comments praising us for our choice of utilizing an entertainer (G-rated I might add) for our banquet instead of yet another Marine Biologist. I would help with a MACNA again if I had the opportunity. I didn't attend in Vegas due to work but I am planning on going to the show in Orlando next year.

I think MACNA has really just gotten too big for a club to pull it off without issues like what happened to poor Dave and I can't help but think many of the club leaders went through some brutal weeks and months leading up to their shows as well. I feel each year will get better as they learn from the previous one and I honestly do not mind the slight increases in pricing for this change. I kind of think it will mean more people, especially the local clubs, will enjoy it more as time goes on.

To be fair, I was in bad shape regardless of whether or not I was doing MACNA. I was scheduled for major back surgery the week prior to MACNA and post-poned it to the end of September. Apparently during MACNA or days afterward I developed multiple clots in my lungs and spent a week in the hospital recovering from that. I had surgery the following February and now with some titanium rods and screws in my back I am almost as good as new. Ready to take on MACNA again! As for the price increases, I think that is more an issue of just continuing costs increasing. I work in the convention and tradeshow world and it is getting pricier every day.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I saw it do to our club, it is probably good for it to be moved to one group doing it each year.

AquaDaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are making plans for the summer and we'd like to include MACNA this year. That being said, I see the difference in ticket prices. Is the dinner worth the extra $60? Yes, I see there is a happy hour too, but would I rather spend that time at Disney and MACNA during the day? Thoughts?

OP
OP
MACNA

MACNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are making plans for the summer and we'd like to include MACNA this year. That being said, I see the difference in ticket prices. Is the dinner worth the extra $60? Yes, I see there is a happy hour too, but would I rather spend that time at Disney and MACNA during the day? Thoughts?

Greetings,

The price you see today is for the Full Conference Pass, which includes the show floor, workshops, speakers, Friday reception and Saturday banquet. You have a choice of meals for Saturday. The $60 tickets that you see are for a partner to join you at the banquet. Let's say your spouse wasn't in to seeing the show, but you wanted their company at dinner; you can buy an adult or child banquet only ticket.

If you aren't interested in the evening social events, weekend passes go on sale in March which allows you access to the show floor, workshops and speakers.

The discounted hotel rate is good for several days pre and post MACNA if you want to have an extended vacation. Plus, you get all the benefits of staying at a Disney hotel.

-Rob

Back