• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

And so it begins...

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
nerites/margaritas reproduce like rabbits ,lay eggs on each other:)
Those two are about the only types of snails I don’t have ;Smuggrin ;Joyful
Nerites leave the tank and I’ve heard the margaritas don’t live long in warmer reef temps

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

fishguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Those two are about the only types of snails I don’t have ;Smuggrin ;Joyful
Nerites leave the tank and I’ve heard the margaritas don’t live long in warmer reef temps
i disagree with both,always ran chiller set at 80,guess with glass tank a few may wander and fall off,mostly exp w acrylic, :)

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
i disagree with both,always ran chiller set at 80,guess with glass tank a few may wander and fall off,mostly exp w acrylic, :)
I will have to try them then. I like critters

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m sitting in my garage right now, this is where my rock is curing. I keep hearing little clicks! I hope it’s another pistol and not a mantis :oops:
The pistols I found in the bottom of the live rock shipping bag were stupidly just dumped into the main display (I was not prepared because I didn’t see any hitchickers in my last shipment until days later, so I wasn’t expecting any) Wrassehole promptly ate the largest one. The blenny grabbed another but spit it out, not sure if it died or not. A small one got chewed up by a powerhead. So I’m not sure if any are alive in my display...but I hear clicking in the curing tank!! ;Joyful Fingers crossed!!

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
I put in another order with reef cleaners. I’ve only ever talked to John so I don’t know if anyone else works there but he is the man. He has a great variety of critters that I’ve never seen local. Like the pitho crab...never heard of it. They are said to possibly eat bubble algae so heck yes, add two to my cart. I’m also getting 4 emerald crabs because my observation tank is nearly just one big blob of bubble algae; It’s really ridiculous. I’m hoping these bad boys can at least take it down quite a few notches from dramatic infestation.
Im also getting more marginella snails. I got three in my last order and now I have like 20 of them in all sizes! Its fascinating, I’ve not found any information on the reproduction cycle. John said that they don’t typically breed successfully in aquaria bc the larval stage? is quite long and they end up getting eaten. I’m pretty pumped that mine are breeding so I’m going to add more and see what I can see. I’ve found weird egg sacks (I think) attached to my pectinia and rocks just beneath the sand line, no idea what else they could be. I don’t have any other baby snails so it must be them!
In other news, I am thinking about moving tiny hippo to the main display. I’m hoping wrassehole doesn’t throw a fit;Bored
John is the best! I've been buying from him ever since I started in the hobby...12 years next month! I had a fuzzy chiton from him that lived a pretty long time. Very odd critter...looked like a hairy blob crawling around!

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m sitting in my garage right now, this is where my rock is curing. I keep hearing little clicks! I hope it’s another pistol and not a mantis :oops:
You need a mantis tank!! I used to have two. One of my sons had a mantis named Princess in one tank and I had another name Bo (after Bo Jackson) in another tank. We had a great time with them! I got clobbered by Bo once...scared the living daylights out of me! ;Joyful

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
You need a mantis tank!! I used to have two. One of my sons had a mantis named Princess in one tank and I had another name Bo (after Bo Jackson) in another tank. We had a great time with them! I got clobbered by Bo once...scared the living daylights out of me! ;Joyful
I’m saying pistol because there was some in the bag that I saw. I wouldn’t know what to do with a mantis shrimp!!! Buuuuut the rock is curing in a 20g long that has no purpose after this sooo....;Smug;Woot
Was Bo a hitchhiker? Did it hurt?! I need more details!

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Out of the 80 critters I ordered, only two perished. One emerald crab and the conch. I wasn’t sure if the conch was alive, the bag water was clear but it had a slight stench. I put it in anyways. The nassarius snails were on this conch and had it flipped over before the rest of the critters hit the sand bed. It was pretty incredible.
99B8F480-1989-4540-B221-E92D8CD558C6.jpeg

I also ordered two “thin striped hermits”. Apparently I didn’t read the full description on these guys because I would not have ordered these if I knew they were SO BIG! I’m hoping to find someone local that can take these guys...if not then I’ll make a trip to the fish store.
D58BF63A-8DCE-4289-A016-67AF94302738.jpeg
5E855633-182D-44BC-A038-1ED4B84FA4E1.jpeg
40026B10-D587-493D-B0D8-130948B38AE6.jpeg
51616042-44BF-48BD-B2EC-689B6BD6A432.jpeg
3D00FDCE-B78B-4190-BE68-7B19F928D33A.jpeg

that’s a mag drive 9

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
:)you need a screen on that intake;) ,or going to lose fish,monster crabs :oops: .click ,click ,shotgun chambered:p:cool:
i'm pretty sure i have what you need;):)
It’s just rock and the two monsters. Going to take the monsters to a local to trade for some GSP :D

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • NO

Votes: 118 50.0%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 109 46.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Top Shelf Aquatics