• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

And so it begins...

Fishy65

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Those two are about the only types of snails I don’t have ;Smuggrin ;Joyful
Nerites leave the tank and I’ve heard the margaritas don’t live long in warmer reef temps
I find my stupid nerites all over the room.... they are long distance travelers.

Zoanthids.com

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m saying pistol because there was some in the bag that I saw. I wouldn’t know what to do with a mantis shrimp!!! Buuuuut the rock is curing in a 20g long that has no purpose after this sooo....;Smug;Woot
Was Bo a hitchhiker? Did it hurt?! I need more details!
Sounds like you might need that 20g long to house some of your new guests! ;Hilarious

I need to put up a post about Bo. He was such a fascinating critter. He wasn't a hitchhiker...I actually paid money for him off a website that no longer exists. They pretty much dealt only with mantis shrimp, best I remember. I found some great pictures of him. This one gives you a perspective on his size. He was about 4 inches long. Most of the Caribbean mantis shrimp just get to about 2 inches or so. He lived in a 16 BioCube with sand, rock, a brain coral, and a 3-stripe damsel. As you can see, it's almost impossible to keep a mantis tank algae-free because they eat any CUC you put in there. He never bothered the damselfish and they were tank mates for several years.

He was very curious and always came out of his den when I added anything to his tank. He popped my tongs several times, but the time he got me in the finger, I was getting careless and put something in his tank not knowing he was right there at the entrance to his den watching me. It hurt like crap!! :oops: Needless to say, after that, I didn't put stuff in the tank with my bare hands!

2s.jpg

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is my observation tank. It has kp aquatic live rock and it’s been running for over 2 years. All newcomers go in this tank before the display. My first frag also went into this tank. It was a small piece of rubble with cool sponges and a little mushroom. Unbeknownst to be, it also had bubble algae. That rubble has remained in the observation tank and the bubble algae has gone W I L D. My recent reef cleaners order had 4 emerald crabs and a pitho crab. 1 emerald didn’t make it but I found the other three still kicking it this morning. The pitho crab is new to me, may eat bubble algae too so I put him in there also. Here is my before emerald crabs pic...I’m hoping to have a drastic reduction in bubble algae!
0B361DFA-A2E3-4D6D-8888-4BF93B45A68F.jpeg
1956B538-456D-4782-955D-B9AEA4E6059A.jpeg
F452E427-0517-42F1-8C27-10032422B475.jpeg

Also, my current baby under observation;Joyful little scardy tang. All of 2.5” long.
1A0E5620-6B13-4C2E-A9A4-33C783FCFA8F.jpeg
14260AC7-9B6D-4527-B5B6-272AC703EC23.jpeg

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
This is my observation tank. It has kp aquatic live rock and it’s been running for over 2 years. All newcomers go in this tank before the display. My first frag also went into this tank. It was a small piece of rubble with cool sponges and a little mushroom. Unbeknownst to be, it also had bubble algae. That rubble has remained in the observation tank and the bubble algae has gone W I L D. My recent reef cleaners order had 4 emerald crabs and a pitho crab. 1 emerald didn’t make it but I found the other three still kicking it this morning. The pitho crab is new to me, may eat bubble algae too so I put him in there also. Here is my before emerald crabs pic...I’m hoping to have a drastic reduction in bubble algae!
0B361DFA-A2E3-4D6D-8888-4BF93B45A68F.jpeg
1956B538-456D-4782-955D-B9AEA4E6059A.jpeg
F452E427-0517-42F1-8C27-10032422B475.jpeg

Also, my current baby under observation;Joyful little scardy tang. All of 2.5” long.
1A0E5620-6B13-4C2E-A9A4-33C783FCFA8F.jpeg
14260AC7-9B6D-4527-B5B6-272AC703EC23.jpeg
Good luck with your new cleaners!!!
When I had bubble algae problem, I manually removed a bunch of it and then my emerald ate the new smaller stuff. Never had a problem after that, other than Emerald “allegedly” eating my coral. @fishguy242 has a good point about keeping a close eye on crabs. I love them but don’t trust them 100%. They are all one allegation away from banishment to the sump or return to the LFS;)

Hopefully they will eat the bigger bubbles.
But I didn’t test that.

OP
TriggerFinger

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Good luck with your new cleaners!!!
When I had bubble algae problem, I manually removed a bunch of it and then my emerald ate the new smaller stuff. Never had a problem after that, other than Emerald “allegedly” eating my coral. @fishguy242 has a good point about keeping a close eye on crabs. I love them but don’t trust them 100%. They are all one allegation away from banishment to the sump or return to the LFS;)

Hopefully they will eat the bigger bubbles.
But I didn’t test that.
I do need to take the rocks out and do a big removal, good idea. I will have to take everything out to get scardy tang out so I’ll do it then!

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
I do need to take the rocks out and do a big removal, good idea. I will have to take everything out to get scardy tang out so I’ll do it then!
Scardy tang is so cute! I DESPISE bubble algae. It made it's way into my original 46 and I finally got rid of it, between manual removal and emerald crabs. Thankfully, it just finally went away. That stuff made me crazy....did I mention that I DESPISE bubble algae? ;Joyful

Fishy65

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Have you ever used a spoon, hose and rubber band together to remove algae?

• YES

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • NO

Votes: 120 49.6%
  • What the heck? (see the thread)

Votes: 112 46.3%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Lazys Coral House