!!!!AND THE WINNER IS........SNIPERS BLUE GROW OUT CONTEST!!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok Wow! This was awesome guys. Thanks a ton to everyone who participated. I'd say overall, minus a hiccup or two along the way, everyone did amazing. So glad to see this one run all the way through to the end with some incredible results.

Screenshot 2019-10-16 12.35.06.png

And now for the moment of truth!

In a super impressive fashion, @Frizzles7 has taken the crown of this grow out hands down! Simply amazing growth in one year's time. Truly, you’ve harnessed the recipe for explosive growth!

Screenshot 2019-10-16 12.39.08.png

And not too far behind at all, in second place, also taking one year's growth to another level. Huge congrats to @Jason Hieger

Screenshot 2019-10-16 12.39.43.png

images-4.png

I will contact both of you tonight to arrange for the delivery of your prizes!

Thanks again to everyone who participated. You guys did some serious justice to this spectacular Acro.

Frizzles7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, hopefully they share the secrets of their success!
Wow folks!

Winners, when you get a chance, please post how you did it!
As a scientist, I think you both should send me your materials and methods and a frag so I can try and duplicate your fantastic results.
Congratulations and job well done @Frizzles7 & @Jason Hieger :)
@Frizzles7 I live in Hendersonville if you want to share your recipe for succuss with a fellow Tennessean!

So, I'm not sure that I have a "secret" to this growth, but I'll try to tell you what I did.

I do a water change every Saturday morning using Red Sea Coral Pro. I stir up and clean the sand bed during water changes and also use a turkey baster to blow off all of the rocks. I try to do this before the lights come on and the corals seems to enjoy this.

I feed at the same time every day (in the evening, close to lights out) using LRS Fish Frenzy as the main food. I also add Reef Chili or Coralific Delite. I add phytoplankton every day at the same time I am feeding, along with Sponge Power and Coral Vitalizer (from Korallen-Zucht). I run my lights for about 12 hours per day, using one of the Aqua Illumination Signature Series (https://www.aquaillumination.com/signature_series/david-saxby).

I'm pretty regimented on my maintenance. I have schedules that I stick to for regularly cleaning everything - lights, pumps, skimmer, RODI filters, etc. I dose calcium and alk (from BRS) using dosing pumps, but dose mag and the red sea colors by hand every other week. I keep my salinity on the high end - around 1.027.

Other than that, I tried not to change anything if I could help it. I replenished some of my clean up crew, but tried to not add too many new corals and didn't add any fish during this time.

I kept this coral a little bit lower in my tank than my other acros, and it seemed to like that. ;Happy

Jason Hieger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, congrats to @Frizzles7 and thanks to everyone who participated! A special thanks to @bubbaque for dropping out! Just kidding, thanks for putting this together!

Honestly, I try to keep things super simple.

I have a 60 gallon cube 24x24x24 , a super simple Advanced Acrylics sump & ATO with an old school digital aquatics controller.

I dose ESV two part, water changes every two to three weeks, feed LRS 3-4 times a day from 4pm-8pm. I run a Deltec skimmer 24/7 for my export. I use Tropic Marin salt and that is about it for things that go in and come out.

Lighting is T-5 (currently 2-B+ & 2-Actinic) with Kessil one A360WE 8am to 8pm with Kessil ramp up and down.

My parameters are generally as follows:

Alk: 8-9 Test weekly
Cal: 430 Test every 2-3 weeks
Mag: 1300 Test monthly
PO4: 0 Test every 2 months
NO3: 0 Test every 2 months

I don't really believe my P04 and N03 are zero but thats what my hanna and salifert show.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back