And the winning member of your CUC is...

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who's the prized member of your CUC, if you could only pick one per tank?

For me, it's this guy in my IM Nuvo Office 10g. Assume it is a limpet, but it came in as a hitchhiker on the rocks, super tiny--originally was a "What is THAT!?", and has grown over 9 months to this size. I believe this guy has almost single-handedly taken care of my ulva problem. I've watched it slowly go over ulva and leave a lawn mower trail behind it. Do wild CUC usually clean with more fervor than tank grown CUC? I wonder... Next post winner from my home EVO 13.5g.
IMG_20220915_112731531_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20220915_112731531_HDR.jpg
Nice. My MVP is the one noone talks about. Its pods...im focus on feeding them and growing them out.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're looking for one I can give you a vendor
Sounds great.

Also, what's your experience with lettuce nudibranches? I had one in my 10g that went missing (think it slipped through the filter pad). Particularly, do they kill bryopsis, and have you seen them kill bubble algae? Just want to confirm the latter, because mine would sit on top of bubble algae and the next day the bubble algae would be grey-white or dark and dull, not the usual iridescent green.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great.

Also, what's your experience with lettuce nudibranches? I had one in my 10g that went missing (think it slipped through the filter pad). Particularly, do they kill bryopsis, and have you seen them kill bubble algae? Just want to confirm the latter, because mine would sit on top of bubble algae and the next day the bubble algae would be grey-white or dark and dull, not the usual iridescent green.
Lettuce Slugs (not true nudis, Elysia Sp. common varieties in the hobby are crispata and clarki) need lower flow and screened power-heads, It prob did not slip through the pad. They need live algae from which they take chloroplasts from and moderate lighting (they are partially photosynthetic). They are best kept in larger established aquariums and in display fuges with large amounts of macro algae.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lettuce Slugs (not true nudis, Elysia Sp. common varieties in the hobby are crispata and clarki) need lower flow and screened power-heads, It prob did not slip through the pad. They need live algae from which they take chloroplasts from and moderate lighting (they are partially photosynthetic). They are best kept in larger established aquariums and in display fuges with large amounts of macro algae.

"Slipped through" isn't exactly correct. I came in one day and found the filter pad sideways, allowing all flow to go through the media basket. Checked inside and around the rocks in the AIO chambers and didn't see the slug. Same day I stopped seeing the slug. No powerheads in this tank, just return pump.

There was loads of codium and nuisance ulva for the slug to dine on, and it seemed quite happy. Liked to sit on the ulva. Also a few fronds of what appeared to be bryopsis, but only in the sand along the glass. Shame, because it was quite active. Would occasionally go through the intake grates, but I'd find it sitting on the filter pad and put it back in the DT.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Slipped through" isn't exactly correct. I came in one day and found the filter pad sideways, allowing all flow to go through the media basket. Checked inside and around the rocks in the AIO chambers and didn't see the slug. Same day I stopped seeing the slug. No powerheads in this tank, just return pump.

There was loads of codium and nuisance ulva for the slug to dine on, and it seemed quite happy. Liked to sit on the ulva. Also a few fronds of what appeared to be bryopsis, but only in the sand along the glass. Shame, because it was quite active. Would occasionally go through the intake grates, but I'd find it sitting on the filter pad and put it back in the DT.
ah, I see. I forgot to say they do best when intake is screened too, they're very cool but not the most hardy

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah, I see. I forgot to say they do best when intake is screened too, they're very cool but not the most hardy
Agreed! I currently have a sea hare in a different tank for a GHA problem. Also a curious creature but nowhere near as attractive as the lettuce slug!

afrokobe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! I currently have a sea hare in a different tank for a GHA problem. Also a curious creature but nowhere near as attractive as the lettuce slug!
I recently got a seahare as well to take care of my GHA. he has been putting in work. Going to move him to my other tank once he is done and probably rehome after that.

Outside of the specialized cuc, urchins definitely take the cake for me in terms of cleaning

Back