OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little Update....

I did a large water change after the completion of a Reef Flux treatment. Despite having limited access to water I decided it was the best course of action. I didn't see much difference in my bryopsis in the tank with the treatment after the two week period. During the water change I moved some rock around, tore pumps apart and did a solid overall cleaning.

Made a trip to the fish store for some freshwater angels for my sons planted tank. While there I picked up three mexican turbos. They have made a significant difference in my brown algea and bryopsis issue so far. Within a few days it has been knocked back considerably. They had a yellow watchman goby but no pistol shrimp so I held off. They will be my next and most likely final additions to the tank fish wise.

Changed my light profile to reduce the level of whites and reduce the time they were on. They are now running from 8-10 rather than 7-midnight with much more blue. Gonipora has looked happier and starting to see some growth with several zoas. Decided to try some reefroids, which I received and fed yesterday. Was interesting to see the quick reaction and the stretch to absorb the food. I understand it has/can increase phos. levels an such so feeding will be minimal and infrequent, especially as I don't have a large number of coral in the tank as of yet.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to mention.. I always check the tank in the morning before going to work (If i have to go to the office which is not often at this time due to the pandemic). I check temp and just give a quick flash in with my phone to see whats going on in the dark. The photo of the clown is one that I caught in the morning. She was sleeping in a crevice in the top rock which was odd as shes usually spooning with the other and bobbing up and down in the opposite side corner. Odd clownfish behavior......

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have your rock height pretty close to where I have mine, not to mention your powerhead is positioned exactly the same. One of us is copying the other, or great minds think alike. My corals are just low enough so when I do a 10 gallon water change they JUST BARELY stay under the surface.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have your rock height pretty close to where I have mine, not to mention your powerhead is positioned exactly the same. One of us is copying the other, or great minds think alike. My corals are just low enough so when I do a 10 gallon water change they JUST BARELY stay under the surface.

The rock height you mention is reassuring! I actually posted this same video on #BRS facebook asking about the rock height and the amount of rock present in the tank. I honestly think that i'm just starting to over analyze everything in the tank because I have nothing to do but sit and look at it! What power head are you running? Think about adding another in the near future to add some random flow.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, Its easy to do that when you sit in front of it all day, like I have been for the past month. I am SOO happy with how quiet the tank is as well. The only thing I did to help that situation was but foam blocks behind both overflows to quiet them to nothing.

The pump is a Rossmont mover M900. It was cheap, but it works pretty darn good. I got a two pack for under 100 bucks a while back, no complaints. I'd love to go vortech, but the fact is, right now I'd rather not blow 300 bucks on something that isnt going to change much. The nice thing about having two is you can take one out, replace it, then clean the other when you feel like it. Not as easily as if it had a wetside, but its still not bad. Moves plenty of water, but no variability, which would be nice. Stupid blenny goes up in it and hangs out inside when I cut it off to feed.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I have an IM Nuvo 40 as well and have a very similar aquascape with the archway. I'm currently using two Jebao OW-10's on opposite sides of the tank for flow. They're set to 'Else' mode which is supposed to be random and the corals seem to like it. I also have the random flow generators on my return lines which I think helps randomize the flow as well. Looking forward to following this build!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know what you mean, Its easy to do that when you sit in front of it all day, like I have been for the past month. I am SOO happy with how quiet the tank is as well. The only thing I did to help that situation was but foam blocks behind both overflows to quiet them to nothing.

The pump is a Rossmont mover M900. It was cheap, but it works pretty darn good. I got a two pack for under 100 bucks a while back, no complaints. I'd love to go vortech, but the fact is, right now I'd rather not blow 300 bucks on something that isnt going to change much. The nice thing about having two is you can take one out, replace it, then clean the other when you feel like it. Not as easily as if it had a wetside, but its still not bad. Moves plenty of water, but no variability, which would be nice. Stupid blenny goes up in it and hangs out inside when I cut it off to feed.

I know what you mean regarding pump and price. I also was looking at vortech and new the prices. Was looking to purchased used and just never pulled the trigger. Ended up the Jebao SLW20 that pushes more than enough water. While durability is questioned I figured at 80$ I could afford to replace it on a whim if needed. I like the lack of noise as well. Other than the skimmer (which i probably don't even need at this point) it's nearly silent. The fans from my AI 32 rarely turn on. So- for the most part silent. As you said, it is nice having two pumps. Id like to have a torch at some point, so the random flow is needed. I'll break at some point and purchase another. Whats your stock list like? I checked out your post from today- tank looks great!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! I have an IM Nuvo 40 as well and have a very similar aquascape with the archway. I'm currently using two Jebao OW-10's on opposite sides of the tank for flow. They're set to 'Else' mode which is supposed to be random and the corals seem to like it. I also have the random flow generators on my return lines which I think helps randomize the flow as well. Looking forward to following this build!
Hey Matt,

Checked out your build thread, tank looks great! I like how you have your rock work pushed back in the tank toward the back wall allowing you to have some and bed space up front. I'd ideally like to do something similar. But, I battle with having that extra room and giving up the holes and hiding spots on the rights side of my tank with the wide wall. Either way, really like your set up! And your stand looks great. Custom build? ill admit, I usually check out the pics and stock lists i usually dont read much, although i will go back and get more in depth with your thread.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just the 4 fish, looking to keep maintenance level low, as I've done the whole 180 gallon with SPS before and (to me) the maintenance level required took the enjoyment out of it. I have 5 hermits, 1 elerald mitrax crab, and about 40 snails. Might add a pistol shrimp or a couple skunks, but other than that, I'm set.

As far as corals, you can see everything in the photo, except the toadstool, which was withdrawn when the picture was taken. These are all either the originals from my tank of 15 years ago (been living in close quarters in a 20 long for some time) or splits from them. Frogspawn, Hammer, Toadstool, Plate (favia), zoanthids, anathelia (weed) and a leather (the one this one split from was 18" across).

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Matt,

Checked out your build thread, tank looks great! I like how you have your rock work pushed back in the tank toward the back wall allowing you to have some and bed space up front. I'd ideally like to do something similar. But, I battle with having that extra room and giving up the holes and hiding spots on the rights side of my tank with the wide wall. Either way, really like your set up! And your stand looks great. Custom build? ill admit, I usually check out the pics and stock lists i usually dont read much, although i will go back and get more in depth with your thread.

Thanks Brandon! The stand is indeed custom built. I bought it with the tank at my LFS. A local hobbyist built the stand and sold it to the LFS which I then purchased. I'm the same when it comes to browsing build threads. I'm more of a visual guy and typically head straight for the pictures, which is ironic because I tend to be a bit long-winded in my posts.

I actually like the "legs/feet" you have out front of your rock work. I think it's more conducive for coral placement and growth. Mine is a bit too vertical for my liking. It definitely limits the kinds of corals I can put on those rock faces, since any significant growth will shade the corals underneath. That's why the rock faces tend to be populated with mushrooms and zoas.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4850FBC7-C30F-4657-9B89-0A76C7F6E970.jpeg
EF89EE3D-FC9B-47D4-B2F9-4270E1D5204C.jpeg
Another update. Came home to this yesterday. Tanks been running now for 70 days (still a baby) While there has been a few minor spots it was nothing like this before leaving for work. Assuming a diatom investigation as well as some cyano. Husbandry has taken a hit due to reduced fish store hours, increased work and the pandemic all which influence water resources. I’ve been trying to stretch what I had for as long as possible and finally put my last 5 gallon of rodi under the tank for my ATO.

Tonight starts the 3 day black out to get it under control. Black plastic bagged the tank leaving an inch long opening across the back for gas exchange. By the time I get ready to uncover I can hopefully get to the store for some water, bacteria and another power head for increased flow. Fish are still doing fine as well as corals. Well, most. Sole brown algae has started to grow thick on the end of one zoa frag irritating a few heads. hope this helps will find out in a few days.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be wary of those fixes that come in a bottle. Sometimes its best to let things run their course. Ive seen worse Diatom outbreaks.

Increased flow will help (not solve). I really dont see any cyano in the pics, looks like diatoms for the most part. Blackout may just prolong the outbreak by not allowing the bacteria to outgrow their food source.

I'd recommend some patience, even though I know its instinct to try and resolve the issue.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be wary of those fixes that come in a bottle. Sometimes its best to let things run their course. Ive seen worse Diatom outbreaks.

Increased flow will help (not solve). I really dont see any cyano in the pics, looks like diatoms for the most part. Blackout may just prolong the outbreak by not allowing the bacteria to outgrow their food source.

I'd recommend some patience, even though I know its instinct to try and resolve the issue.

totally agree. I’m not adding anything artificial or medication wise. Going to dose some beneficial bacteria and wait it out. Proposed some chemipure but luckily have a friend I can bounce things off from and he points me in the right direction.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its any comfort, Ive seen an uptick in diatoms over the last week as well. Since our tanks started at close to the same times, maybe we are just at that point in tank maturity. My thought is that its possible that the bacteria are now getting deep enough into the rock to reach some new food source, or are processing something deep enough in the rock to CREATE a new food source. Either way, I'm riding it out to see what follows.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its any comfort, Ive seen an uptick in diatoms over the last week as well. Since our tanks started at close to the same times, maybe we are just at that point in tank maturity. My thought is that its possible that the bacteria are now getting deep enough into the rock to reach some new food source, or are processing something deep enough in the rock to CREATE a new food source. Either way, I'm riding it out to see what follows.
Right on, buddy. You may be right. The bright red area had me concerned. This pandemic has everything a mess as well. Not sure if you have your own water source, which I hope you do. I depend on other for water and while I enjoy water changed and husbandry it just can’t take place right now. Rodi jus giant feasible. I run a well and would need a booster pump. Looking at 500-700$ for water supply. I know in the long run it will even out but that’s in the looong run. I’m confident you’re correct. And, your tank looks great. Hopefully everything clears out. I’m dead set on not doing anything more than filter floss and solid and consistent water changes!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it was wrong, but I took a peak at the end of the second day of the black out. When opening the plastic a bit I noticed an upright Turbo snail on the sad bed. It wasn't moving much before I decided to do the blackout. needless to say the blackout ended (it was already night time anyhow) I removed the plastic and removed the snail. I have kept the light off for now but is still getting indirect natural light. I really need to get some phosphate test to see where things are at. I'm going to attempt to ride this out the natural way. Hoping to get to the store this weekend and get some water for a water change. No much difference in the sand bed or the algae in my tank after removing the covering.

I understand that a new tank is going to have a number of issues, and I embrace that. However, it's tough not knowing what to react to and what to let ride. I'm trying to learn as much as possible and respond in the best way. Still not sure on the bryopsis like algae, have been told its bryopsis but reef flux did nothing.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hold off on the water change. Just between you and me (uh, and anyone else checking this post) I've done a total of three 10 gallon water changes since the tank has been set up. This last diatom bloom (or whatever it is) came exactly after one of those changes, and has steadily gotten lighter day by day since. Yes I make my own RODI water, yes the cartridges are all new, yes TDS are near zero. Its my experience (and I am no Reef Guru, but I DO believe in learning from experience) that even water changes can cause spikes, just do to the imbalances they create in a system that was trying to stabilize itself. Thats why I do smaller water changes. So run the tests, but unless things are wacked of sorts, don't compensate too much.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back