And we’re off, IM 40

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you dont feel like the Lone Ranger. This is the high flow side of my back wall. Pods love it and the fish graze on it constantly. Unless it tries to spread to the rocks I'm leaving it.

20200508_114343.jpg

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hold off on the water change. Just between you and me (uh, and anyone else checking this post) I've done a total of three 10 gallon water changes since the tank has been set up. This last diatom bloom (or whatever it is) came exactly after one of those changes, and has steadily gotten lighter day by day since. Yes I make my own RODI water, yes the cartridges are all new, yes TDS are near zero. Its my experience (and I am no Reef Guru, but I DO believe in learning from experience) that even water changes can cause spikes, just do to the imbalances they create in a system that was trying to stabilize itself. Thats why I do smaller water changes. So run the tests, but unless things are wacked of sorts, don't compensate too much.
Much appreciated. I was doing bi-weekly 5 gallon changes. It seemed that at the two weeks mark I started to get less open time with the gonipora and things just in general started to look not the best, but by no means unhealthy. It would also give me an opportunity to clean the brown nasty stuff off my pumps, hit the brown fur of the back glass and such. I may go another week and see where things go. Appreciate staying up with the thread and the input! Again, want to make sure im providing the best conditions for my fish and the limited coral I have . Allowing things to die is like throwing money down the drain and inconsiderate. Which, is not my goal! I do need to get this alleged bryopsis under control. Its driving me mad!

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you (or any of you other Nuvo people) taken the return pump out and cleaned it yet? I'm thinking that my return rate has slowed and was wondering if anyone had observed anything similar?

Might just do it anyways, what can it hurt?

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you (or any of you other Nuvo people) taken the return pump out and cleaned it yet? I'm thinking that my return rate has slowed and was wondering if anyone had observed anything similar?

Might just do it anyways, what can it hurt?
I have not. I’ve cleaned the pump in the skimmer, but never the return. I may pull it next week and give it a cleaning for something to do. Think I’m also going to add another pump on the opposite side of my tank. There’s a wide rock wall there and think it’s cutting flow from the pump on the opposite side. Perhaps a slw10 or another slw 20.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i just did it. Easy peasy to do, but I had to take it back out because apparently if you don't get the impeller in there JUST right, those things can be noisey when you put them back in. Took a few tries, but its back to being pretty darn quiet. I notice a SLIGHT increase in flow, but nothing major. Probably could have waited a few more months.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
885CD8C2-D926-4269-B0C7-5852A0CB7506.jpeg
My guess is hydroids? The sweepers on the right of the frag and on the rock. This hobby is bashing me hard one day after another. Think I’m taking all the right precautions and just keep getting bad stuff. Also glued over an aptasia again. Cyano, hydroids, bryopsis, and now hydroids... stellar.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like whatever it is, its coming from that plug, which is going to make eradication difficult while that plug stays in the tank. Assuming they are hyroids (which I realy cant confirm), they are biological in nature. There are 3 methods I can think of right off that will kill most anything biological in an aquarium. Heat, Ph and lack of food. Then, of course, you can remove anything living in water from the water, which should also kill it.

Id first get that rock out of the water, if possible. Scrub it, maybe blast it with some strong kalk, then let it dry completely. That should kill whatever is on the rock, including beneficial microorganisms, which is going to make a mini cycle when you put it back in (just a warning).

If removing the rock isnt an option, the safest bet is starving them. I dont know what you are using for food right now, but limit it to whatever your fish eats, and target feed the fish. If those things cant eat they wont live. Second option would be to cook them. You could move the plug, then use boiling hot water and a turkey baster to blast them with hot water. You have to be careful and not use too much at once so you dont affect anything else other than the beasts in question. If neither option works, sudden Ph changes are deadly to aquaria. A strong muratic mix would certainly kill them, but thats gonna be too drastic to perform in tank. A better option would be a kalk mix.You could mix up a strong kalk mix (1tblspoon to a cup of water, mix thoroughly) and slowly expel the slurry onto the offensive beasts, again with baster. If you are set on dealing with them in tank, I think those are your options. But I'd do some more research, its not like I am a hydroids expert.

Before you do anything figure out how you are gonna deal with the ones on the plug. If you cant get rid of those you aren't really solving anything.

Personally (and I know I am a laid back reefer) I'd go the target feeding route for at least a week, preferably more. See if at least they stop spreading, then reassess the situation. If they are hyroids they will be stinging the zoas and making the ones on the edge close up. At least that should give you an indication on what you are fighting. If they seem to be living in harmony, it might not even be something you need to be concerned about.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to me like whatever it is, its coming from that plug, which is going to make eradication difficult while that plug stays in the tank. Assuming they are hyroids (which I realy cant confirm), they are biological in nature. There are 3 methods I can think of right off that will kill most anything biological in an aquarium. Heat, Ph and lack of food. Then, of course, you can remove anything living in water from the water, which should also kill it.

Id first get that rock out of the water, if possible. Scrub it, maybe blast it with some strong kalk, then let it dry completely. That should kill whatever is on the rock, including beneficial microorganisms, which is going to make a mini cycle when you put it back in (just a warning).

If removing the rock isnt an option, the safest bet is starving them. I dont know what you are using for food right now, but limit it to whatever your fish eats, and target feed the fish. If those things cant eat they wont live. Second option would be to cook them. You could move the plug, then use boiling hot water and a turkey baster to blast them with hot water. You have to be careful and not use too much at once so you dont affect anything else other than the beasts in question. If neither option works, sudden Ph changes are deadly to aquaria. A strong muratic mix would certainly kill them, but thats gonna be too drastic to perform in tank. A better option would be a kalk mix.You could mix up a strong kalk mix (1tblspoon to a cup of water, mix thoroughly) and slowly expel the slurry onto the offensive beasts, again with baster. If you are set on dealing with them in tank, I think those are your options. But I'd do some more research, its not like I am a hydroids expert.

Before you do anything figure out how you are gonna deal with the ones on the plug. If you cant get rid of those you aren't really solving anything.

Personally (and I know I am a laid back reefer) I'd go the target feeding route for at least a week, preferably more. See if at least they stop spreading, then reassess the situation. If they are hyroids they will be stinging the zoas and making the ones on the edge close up. At least that should give you an indication on what you are fighting. If they seem to be living in harmony, it might not even be something you need to be concerned about.
Will be just cutting back feeding (already only feed once a day) and will target feed. I only feed frozen for the most part anyhow. Have never fed flake and do pellet at times. From what I’ve read and heard from others this issue most times just resolved itself as the tank ages. Not overly concerned, just seems like one thing after another despite conscious efforts to do things right.
On the other hand happened to hop on Facebook the other night and saw a guy selling a BRS 6 stage 150gpd RODI system for 100 bucks. Despite having a well, I couldn’t pass it up. Town will be running water to our area hopefully this summer.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish store trip yesterday! Well, for other reasons than my tank. My son had inherited a rather large pleco in his planted tank. We weren't home when the fish was dropped off. Far too large for the tank so he was donated to the shop to rehome.

Took the trip for RO water. Water has been a bit of a stressors lately just not having ready access to it and having to decide between water changes or having top off. Had to settle for RO yesterday. I hope it doesn't cause an algae spike, which I don't believe it will. My tank rock and sand has finally cleared up after several weeks of a number of different issues. I attempted a three day black out but stopped at the end of the second due to a dead snail. However, a few days after that, and also leaving the light off, everything looks significantly better.

I was going to hold off on a water change but my wife complained of a "cat urine" smell in our living room. We couldn't figure out where it was coming from! I happened to reach over the tank last night to dump my skimmer cup and the smell was coming from the tank! It wasn't a real strong smell but noticeable. Did a water change today and it cleared up. **During the water change my gonipora stayed somewhat extended. After everything was cleaned and filled back up it had a long slime trail attached to it. It does this every time I do a water change. Im assuming it slimes because I've made it angry?

Excited to pick up a used RODI system tomorrow night. It will be nice not needing to travel for water and stress over it. Hopefully it hooks up relatively easily. Think I may run it now on the well rather than waiting for town water to be run. Ill see what I get for pressure on it.

Waiting for a delivery at the fish shop to add an additional fish. I've been waiting on a pistol shrimp and watchman goby. But, both are never available at the same time. It's either one or the other with long gaps of time before the other comes into the shop.

nex64

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read , keep trucking along man.

I wouldn’t stress about the tank problems, natural symptoms of a newly started tank. Seems like your rock is pretty fresh too, that usually aids the new tank syndrome.
As others mentioned, I’d stay away from the chemicals or additives except for beneficial bacterias.

And I know you are having water issues but I’d try to get a hold on that ASAP, for a new tank, weekly water changes are your best weapon. On my new IM14 I do 5 gallon water changes a week. I have some nasties as well but not very crazy.
My tank is probably on the 2-3 month mark as well.
Rome wasn’t built over night ;)

10463C4E-E290-4612-989B-133370756847.jpeg

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice read , keep trucking along man.

I wouldn’t stress about the tank problems, natural symptoms of a newly started tank. Seems like your rock is pretty fresh too, that usually aids the new tank syndrome.
As others mentioned, I’d stay away from the chemicals or additives except for beneficial bacterias.

And I know you are having water issues but I’d try to get a hold on that ASAP, for a new tank, weekly water changes are your best weapon. On my new IM14 I do 5 gallon water changes a week. I have some nasties as well but not very crazy.
My tank is probably on the 2-3 month mark as well.
Rome wasn’t built over night ;)

10463C4E-E290-4612-989B-133370756847.jpeg
Rock is new. My thoughts when setting up the tank was that by starting with new dry rock I would avoid the hitch hikers and head aches of other unwanted items that are associated with live rock. And, the price of 40lbs or dry compared to live was appealing as well. However, it was the one mistake that I regret so far. I should have purchased live rock, no questions asked. But, can't go backwards so I'm just sitting patiently and doing my best not to tinker during this time of increased home time!

I believe that I have resolve my water issues. Last night I picked up a 6 stage BRS 150gph water save RODI unit that came with newly purchased filters and 6lbs of DI-resin for $100. I really couldn't pass that up. So, just have to purchase a hose adapter and get this thing up and running and make some water. Previous to this shut down I was doing weekly 5 gallon changes figuring it was close enough to 20% water change estimating 32 gallons of water due to displacement of rock and sand. I enjoy water changes and the husbandry aspect despite lugging buckets of water up and down stairs.

I have a cabinet that has accumulated a number of products to help tackle issues. I don't know why I buy them. I never use them and ive been adamant about doing this natural since the beginning and exercising patients rather than the movement toward instant gratification. Im still only running floss and a skimmer, that's it and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
purple.jpg

I think/hope this is the beginning of coralline! There are a number of spots throughout the scape that have these very small spots. Tank has only been up now about 3 months but I have been keeping up my maintenance and tank care. Picture was taken before any lights came on. The tank gets indirect light sitting in the corner of our living room. I really enjoy looking at the tank every morning before the lights come on. It gives another perspective of the life inside. And, everything starts to wake up, the clowns get out of their corner, zoas are usually already open and gonipora is starting to stretch out. If this is in fact coralline i'll be exceptionally happy as I assume that it means that i've been doing somethings right!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4096.jpg

This blue leg apparently thought the bumble bee shell was more appeasing than the one that he was currently inhabiting. I swore the few bumble bee snails I had were dead and then saw this going up the rock work. Was surprised upon further inspection!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_4098.jpg
IMG_4099 (1).jpg

Just a few photos of a few of the corals that are in the tank. The Goni has grown and has looked really great the last few days. Id like to think that its most likely due to increase PH due to the windows open and the fresh air coming in the house. The tank is about 6 inches from the window. The Zoa has grown tremendously over the last month. There were no heads around the sides of the plug when it was first purchased. It has really taken off!

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
goby.jpeg

Added this grump to the tank last night. He's very small, about an inch. He was added with a candy cane pistol shrimp. The shrimp has been active as there are a number of mounds near the rock work in a few different areas. I knew this was an animal id want from the start so the rock is sitting directly on the glass below to prevent collapses from its tunells. The goby, or Hank as he has been named, seems to be doing ok and the other fish havent messed with him much. The clowns have gone by to take a look and Hank quickly darts to anything he cant to hide. He also enjoys swimming around the powerhead which makes me nervous. Oh, and Hank also would rather live in my floss holder rather than in the display. Over the last 12 hours i have found him in the floss holder 7 times.... Hopefully he find the shrimp soon and will become more comfortable in the tank. Hopefully this is a species that grows quickly. I did do research before the purchase but didnt find much on growth rate.

Alarmguy66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you thought those slits were small enough to keep him from going through didnt you? I know I did, and I got a baby watchman goby that did the same thing, 3 times. After the third time he figured it out and stays on the bottom. After a month I THINK he is fat enough to no longer fit. If I cut the powerhead off my Midas blenny roosts in it like a perch. Have to be very careful at feeding time. Things are looking good though, keep it up. Algae issues dying down?

OP
OP
B

Brandon.helvie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet you thought those slits were small enough to keep him from going through didnt you? I know I did, and I got a baby watchman goby that did the same thing, 3 times. After the third time he figured it out and stays on the bottom. After a month I THINK he is fat enough to no longer fit. If I cut the powerhead off my Midas blenny roosts in it like a perch. Have to be very careful at feeding time. Things are looking good though, keep it up. Algae issues dying down?
I actually had no idea how large he was. I’ve been looking for one and a pistol shrimp for over a month and haven’t come across one. I happened to put a post on social media and a local fish guy had the pair. I picked him up blond only knowing he was small. And, small he was! I’m hoping he grows enough in a month to stay out of the overflow! Well worth it though, love the yellow goby. Hopefully he find his shrimp friend sooner than later.

yes, the algae has subsided. Started to get some coralline and the rocks have turned a light neon green everywhere else. Bryopsis is gone, hydroids gone. I snipped some old vermatid snails earlier this week. Everything seems to be clearing up with just patients. Waiting on a hose adapter to get my rodi up and running. Have had to use just ro for a 5 gallon change and top off but haven’t had much of an issue from it. Can’t wait to not need to run for water!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back