Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW, very impressive - question I don't see any plumbing pipes are you going to drill them in later ?
I’ll put some 3” sch 80 through the walls tonight and the returns will come over the top with the return... that’s my thinking for now... could always core drill too later too if needs be.
Wow crazy. It would be a ***** to sell the house if you are planning to move . How you control the humidity? I bet you have some big butt dehumidifier. Electric bill would be my mortgage lol
Not planning on selling anytime soon. If we do I can cut and fold the walls into the pit and pour a new floor over the top of them. , I will have a large air exchanger on the exterior wall of the fish room to help with humidity.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that just regular rebar, not epoxy coated?
Yes regular, mixed reviews on epoxy coated:

"Laboratory tests and field inspections indicate that epoxy-coated rebar in a marine substructure application is more susceptible to corrosion than bare bar. The underlying clean bright metal, which does not passivate, as does bare steel when in contact with cement, is highly susceptible to corrosion. Epoxy-coated rebar has deteriorated faster than bare steel. While bare steel actively corrodes in marine environments (12-15) years) the epoxy-coated rebar has begun to corrode much earlier in these structures (seven to nine years)" - https://www.tuf-bar.com/application...nspections,is highly susceptible to corrosion.

I plan on running the tank for around 10 years...

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes regular, mixed reviews on epoxy coated:

"Laboratory tests and field inspections indicate that epoxy-coated rebar in a marine substructure application is more susceptible to corrosion than bare bar. The underlying clean bright metal, which does not passivate, as does bare steel when in contact with cement, is highly susceptible to corrosion. Epoxy-coated rebar has deteriorated faster than bare steel. While bare steel actively corrodes in marine environments (12-15) years) the epoxy-coated rebar has begun to corrode much earlier in these structures (seven to nine years)" - https://www.tuf-bar.com/application...nspections,is highly susceptible to corrosion.

I plan on running the tank for around 10 years...

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. In my PA days, most of the older exhibits had rust coming through the concrete, as did several aquariums I visited. As far as I know, epoxy bar is pretty much industry standard. I would think it wouldnt show up within 10 years, either way. Cool build!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
78107C45-8580-4BF1-AD1D-02EF9A2CF189.jpeg
D6B5BECF-A98F-4665-A935-6B7455B7E624.jpeg
5E962F5B-1BD3-4A89-9A83-A71698EE4BD8.jpeg
Starting on the support bracing...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back