Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Traveled last week and ended up having a different feeding schedule. Think it created some scarcity and some aggression with the zebrasomas even though they have been together for over a year with no problems. I was able to catch the yellow and move him to the sump for healing!!

It’s weird with tangs, I’ve experience similar behavior however feeding been the same. I think as dominants tang grows bigger, it starts to express aggression toward other tang as they grow bigger too.
My powder blue been beating up different tangs randomly as they grow bigger. Even the ones that have been here longer than him. He’s been chancing purple and naso tangs simply because he’s much bigger. No injectors but he’s definitely letting them know he’s the boss.

MAYBE increasing feeding would lower aggression.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s weird with tangs, I’ve experience similar behavior however feeding been the same. I think as dominants tang grows bigger, it starts to express aggression toward other tang as they grow bigger too.
My powder blue been beating up different tangs randomly as they grow bigger. Even the ones that have been here longer than him. He’s been chancing purple and naso tangs simply because he’s much bigger. No injectors but he’s definitely letting them know he’s the boss.

MAYBE increasing feeding would lower aggression.

Thanks for the note!! I’ve been overfeeding ever since I returned home!!

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing system. I'm in the process of waiting on AE for things I ordered a long time ago.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Traveled last week and ended up having a different feeding schedule. Think it created some scarcity and some aggression with the zebrasomas even though they have been together for over a year with no problems. I was able to catch the yellow and move him to the sump for healing!!

How are the tangs doing?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing system. I'm in the process of waiting on AE for things I ordered a long time ago.

Thank you! I feel for you! It took me a long time to get most of the gear I ordered from Bill. Still have a few things outstanding. It is built very well so it was worth the wait IMHO.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And then there’s this guy...
ED791F24-3784-4B22-B8A6-07C771FE12CF.jpeg

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to avoid shading issues with such a deep tank?

It looks amazing btw. Not trying to throw shade, just curious.

I've had many tanks over the years, I wanted to do something that no one else is doing, the challenge with this tank is the depth for sure! The upper SPS corals are just now starting to get big enough to throw some shade on the lower corals. I have angled some LEDs to hit lower on the reef for starters and I will keep SPS groomed so light will still reach corals that need it below. It will be a challenge for sure... I'll know in a year if this strategy will pay off. :)

Always open to suggestions too if you have any ideas.

One thing I know is the 4' depth provides an amazing view and plenty of swim space for the big fish!! Loving it so far!!

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 things that I notice:
- the corals are growing very nicely
- the fish are getting huge. Wow!

Looking really good!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back