Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6FF3155D-1701-49F5-A8CF-1CD6F33D39EB.jpeg
009ADF89-9D26-4DD6-B7F2-E3A75B6505AD.jpeg
B3EB294B-1BFD-4F17-8D4D-3C815C046837.jpeg

3 -2x6 each direction every 2 feet and 2x8 bottom band braced in both directions... oh and my life savings in lumber!! ‍

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes regular, mixed reviews on epoxy coated:

"Laboratory tests and field inspections indicate that epoxy-coated rebar in a marine substructure application is more susceptible to corrosion than bare bar. The underlying clean bright metal, which does not passivate, as does bare steel when in contact with cement, is highly susceptible to corrosion. Epoxy-coated rebar has deteriorated faster than bare steel. While bare steel actively corrodes in marine environments (12-15) years) the epoxy-coated rebar has begun to corrode much earlier in these structures (seven to nine years)" - https://www.tuf-bar.com/application/gfrp-vs-steel/gfrp-vs-ecr/#:~:text=Laboratory tests and field inspections,is highly susceptible to corrosion.

I plan on running the tank for around 10 years...
I hope you will run this a lot longer then 10 years! That structure will last indefinitely! As long as it is completely sealed, which it will be.. You could run it for more then 70 years.. There is no concern for the rebar. Rebar oxidation only impacts structural rigidity if it is substantially compromised... The cement is doing most of the work here..

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope you will run this a lot longer then 10 years! That structure will last indefinitely! As long as it is completely sealed, which it will be.. You could run it for more then 70 years.. There is no concern for the rebar. Rebar oxidation only impacts structural rigidity if it is substantially compromised... The cement is doing most of the work here..
Awesome Ben, thanks for the feedback!! 10 years will get the kids through school so that will be hopefully the shortest it will need to last

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When's the pour? :)
We have a concrete shortage here in UT so I have to call in on Mondays to get on a waiting list to see if they can send a truck my way if someone else cancels... so far it's been 3 weeks and counting on the list that starts over each Monday with Ready Made Concrete... :confused: So no set date...

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a concrete shortage here in UT so I have to call in on Mondays to get on a waiting list to see if they can send a truck my way if someone else cancels... so far it's been 3 weeks and counting on the list that starts over each Monday with Ready Made Concrete... :confused: So no set date...

Strange times like time went back to Ent time, you have the fuel shortage as well, England asking?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange times like time went back to Ent time, you have the fuel shortage as well, England asking?
I'm sure that will be next... right now lumber is sky high and concrete is being rationed... bad time to build a concrete tank ;)

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

UTAH! My home state. I miss it, no one out here in New England gets my sayings.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang! What’s the next step?
I called to get on the concrete pour list this week. Planning on sending cookies and videos to see if I can actually get a truck out here! This is week #5 on the waiting list for concrete! So next step is pour the walls

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back