Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
F06B07AE-2A56-477F-927A-BEE920AD2053.jpeg
426BE073-FC84-4B68-BC7D-41CD8ADE21E8.jpeg BE29226E-5367-4D2C-9BAA-9D73CE3221CC.jpeg

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you going to do about the height issue? Thats a tough one.

Once I rearrange the filtration room and know where the final resting place is for the skimmer I will most likely be cutting into the ceiling, if the joist is right there then I will old school clean the skimmer cup with the drain line and end up removing the cup periodically for deep cleaning... I'll know soon

widarecu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once I rearrange the filtration room and know where the final resting place is for the skimmer I will most likely be cutting into the ceiling, if the joist is right there then I will old school clean the skimmer cup with the drain line and end up removing the cup periodically for deep cleaning... I'll know soon
“Cutting into the ceiling” I would never get away with that , lucky man

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
XHO’s added to one of the grow out bins, 200 gallon water change on the 720, phosguard added to both systems, fallow on the bins completed, gearing up for the final filter room remodel...

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be following to hear about the clown tang. They have always been a fish on my wish list and thinking about adding that to my tang list for my new build. What tangs do you Tangs do you currently have in the system?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in the past and love the clown tangs!! Here is my old one in my last 750:

Don’t call the tang police but here’s my tang line up currently:

Sohal
Clown
3 purples
4 yellows
2 scopas
3 vlamingi
Yellow belly blue
Blue
Orange shoulder
Naso
Lavender
Sailfin
Desjardini sailfin
Floweri
Dussumieri

Other fish in the system:
Queen angel
Emperator angel
Midas blenny
Niger triger
2 six line wrasses
Mystery wrasse
Pair of snowflake clowns
Springeri dottyback
Majestic foxface
Twin spot foxface
Coral beauty

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your stocking!!!! Really excited to see you have both a sohal and a clown now. I have many of the same tangs on my stocking list for my new build. Allow me to ask your opinion. Do you think many of the “rules” regarding compatibility and aggressiveness sort of go away once you get to large water volumes. Many have warned me against both sohals and clown as they said they will become too aggressive and kill many other fish. I understand each fish has its own personality. Do you think with large volume , great flow and many line of sight breaks is the reason for your success or perhaps are you just the tang whisperer!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in the past and love the clown tangs!! Here is my old one in my last 750:

Don’t call the tang police but here’s my tang line up currently:

Sohal
Clown
3 purples
4 yellows
2 scopas
3 vlamingi
Yellow belly blue
Blue
Orange shoulder
Naso
Lavender
Sailfin
Desjardini sailfin
Floweri
Dussumieri

ther fish in the system:
Queen angel
Emperator angel
Midas blenny
Niger triger
2 six line wrasses
Mystery wrasse
Pair of snowflake clowns
Springeri dottyback
Majestic foxface
Twin spot foxface
Coral beauty

Love your stocking!!!! Really excited to see you have both a sohal and a clown now. I have many of the same tangs on my stocking list for my new build. Allow me to ask your opinion. Do you think many of the “rules” regarding compatibility and aggressiveness sort of go away once you get to large water volumes. Many have warned me against both sohals and clown as they said they will become too aggressive and kill many other fish. I understand each fish has its own personality. Do you think with large volume , great flow and many line of sight breaks is the reason for your success or perhaps are you just the tang whisperer!!

IMO I would say with larger aquariums and heavier feeding you can get away with things you can’t do with smaller tanks. Larger rock work with those sight breaks help a ton... there is still some aggression right now with the zebrasomas, blue tangs, and sailfins. I would recommend getting them small and growing them up together... seemed to help a bit and adding as many as you can at one time. Thanks for chiming in

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the list. Jealous of the clown tang, i'm 0-3 on them.

Did you have a planned order to which tangs you added and when or is your tank big enough for that not to matter?

Clown tangs are a little hard to get to go. I have had some success in the past putting them in my sump and feeding them a variety of foods with nori available at all times.Then moving them to the show

here is a video of my old tank with 2 sohals, one big and one small (cant believe I got them to get along): think this success was due to the size difference.

I added the clown to the bin for now and the emperator to the show. When I add the corals to the show I’ll throw in the clown...

I add as many at one time as I can and usually shoot for a minimum of adding 5 at a time. Three of each body shape at a minimum... so like three zebrasomas and two others for example.

I’m just guessing at like a 4-500 on up would give them enough space...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back