Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
83782BE1-F11F-4830-8CD8-A4153D70F9B4.jpeg

FCF601FE-22AC-420F-87A3-F6F58E6B0FF4.jpeg

Getting the platform ready for the 600 build (added the 2x10’s to the top of the cinderblocks) ... I have always planned on gluing up the panels in place on top of the platform but step one of gluing the sides to the front won’t work that way because they are 4’ tall and I only have 3.5’ from the top of the platform to the ceiling... I may have to glue them on the floor... still not sure I have enough room to flip it to glue on the back. I can easily glue on the bottom in place once the front, back and sides are glued to each other. I think worst case would be I would need to drain and move the RO/DI barrel and glue it on the floor

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the platform made of steel? Looks well powder coated!
It is, like 2.5" square tubing same builder as the stand for the 720 at the beginning of the thread. I had to build it in the room so I opted for this route of the platform and the uprights... with our recent earthquake I am rethinking my craziness

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well figured out that I won't be gluing the 600 gallon acrylic tank together in place, at least not the sides to the front on top of the stand! I now need to build a frame and see if I can get the front, back and sides in the room if I glue it up outside the room... :confused: missing the height by 6" when I place the ends on the front panel to glue them vertically... I may be able to glue it up on the ground then pop it up on the stand if I move the RODI barrel... still working on some options

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dca22anderson What method are you going to use to cement the panels together? Pins, I assume? Do you use corner braces as well? I've only built small tanks so far and you can get away without pins and braces... just tape works fine. :0) Looking forward to watching this build!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@dca22anderson What method are you going to use to cement the panels together? Pins, I assume? Do you use corner braces as well? I've only built small tanks so far and you can get away without pins and braces... just tape works fine. :0) Looking forward to watching this build!
Planning on pins, I have an idea on how to do this and have built lots of >200 gallon tanks in the past but this too is my first time working with this thick of material and this size tank. Thickest build in the past was a 1/2" sump at 8'x4'x2'. Very open for best practices if anyone wants to chime in! Otherwise I will try and get hold of Bill Wann again and get some final pointers before I get to bonding!!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back