Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah. Ya I know the feeling, have had that happen

What qt procedure are you doing?
Nothing too crazy:

I have a 40 breeder & a 20 gallon QT with show tank water in it rolling all the time.

Fish stay in there for observation for a few weeks to get them eating and used to my water.

If I see something then I treat for whatever it is, mainly copper power, chloroquine phosphate and prozipro. (I follow directions on the bottle)

Once full treatment is finished I observe for a week or two then add them to a holding tank for more observation that is connected to the system.

Once they are eating well and used to the system water I add them to the show at night and wish them the best of luck. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

There are better and more detailed QT processes but that is what works for me.

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing too crazy:

I have a 40 breeder & a 20 gallon QT with show tank water in it rolling all the time.

Fish stay in there for observation for a few weeks to get them eating and used to my water.

If I see something then I treat for whatever it is, mainly copper power, chloroquine phosphate and prozipro. (I follow directions on the bottle)

Once full treatment is finished I observe for a week or two then add them to a holding tank for more observation that is connected to the system.

Once they are eating well and used to the system water I add them to the show at night and wish them the best of luck. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

There are better and more detailed QT processes but that is what works for me.
presumably that 20 and 40 are isolated from rest of systems while doing qt duty? Else there no real quarantine…

ReefLegends

For all your phyto, rotifer and copepods needs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a must stop and see attraction while in Utah!! You can look for hours and still not find everything that is hiding. IMG_7449.jpeg

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a must stop and see attraction while in Utah!! You can look for hours and still not find everything that is hiding. IMG_7449.jpeg
Thanks Skyler!! The system loves your phyto and pods!!

Any fish friends on this forum are more than welcome to come visit. Love talking reefs with the fish buddies.

It’s a work in progress but it’s getting better each month! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I would wish anyone bad luck, but purely out of curiosity.....

With a "tank" this big, and no top, do you have issues with jumpers?

I would think with something this big, the fish have enough room to dart up without launching, but you have some really big fish that could launch themselves quite far.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I would wish anyone bad luck, but purely out of curiosity.....

With a "tank" this big, and no top, do you have issues with jumpers?

I would think with something this big, the fish have enough room to dart up without launching, but you have some really big fish that could launch themselves quite far.
Good question… I have about a 10” distance from the top of the water to the top rim of the tank and two sides are locked down with walls… the back and catwalk are open and so far nothing has launched out… fingers crossed it doesn’t happen!! LOL!!
IMG_3611.jpeg

When the bigs get spooked they dart sideways and down towards the rock cover so I hope they keep that up.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4 are creeping up to the point where some SPS are not looking good so I’m implementing some lanthanum chloride injections into the skimmer to help bring them down. Here are some pictures of the setup:
IMG_1717.jpeg

Salifert test for current level

IMG_1719.jpeg

Lanthanum mixed at 80/ml per gallon of RODI water

IMG_1720.jpeg

Old dosing pump I found laying around that doses at a rate of 1.1ml per min.

IMG_1721.jpeg

Feed the lanthanum through the lid of the skimmer and to a ridgid clear airline to the middle of the body of the skimmer

IMG_1718.jpeg

Have a mixture of 5 micron and 10 micron long socks to snag anything that doesn’t get skimmed out

The socks are filling up fast so I’ll pause the dosing while I clean the socks and repeat the process till I get the po4 back down…

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 32 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back