Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised to see it not get any insulation. Also humidity control is going to be insane. Super build. Best of luck. Cant wait to see the 1.5 yr mark.
I have insulation below grade and on the bottom… I’ll still put in an air exchanger on the exterior wall… thanks for checking it out! I too can’t wait till your 1.5!! Should be growing SPS by then
That will look great. Keeping the blue look so it blends in?
good point, I was thinking black but blue may be better, hope to have it covered in coraline over time

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MartinM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is where you live cold/colder? People often think MH are less efficient, but then run LEDs+ hundreds of watts+ worth of heaters. 400w halides might do the trick for you, and keep your tank warm also. Plus, they’ll look a lot better (IMO/E).

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is where you live cold/colder? People often think MH are less efficient, but then run LEDs+ hundreds of watts+ worth of heaters. 400w halides might do the trick for you, and keep your tank warm also. Plus, they’ll look a lot better (IMO/E).
I have 9 - 400 watt set ups with galaxy adjustable ballasts and a ton of XHO reefbrite Leds to go in between them… still deciding which way to go

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 9 - 400 watt set ups with galaxy adjustable ballasts and a ton of XHO reefbrite Leds to go in between them… still deciding which way to go
How much space do you have above them? I know the big ones is recommended like atleast 2 feet

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25A630A9-8BAB-40D6-88C7-44FFD7BDE031.jpeg
40E71EBE-EC1A-4409-B130-EA988142E2C8.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wife and I finished binge watching Ted Lasso so I am glad I found this thread. So very interesting.

The scale of this project is so next level. I could repeat what I have done before at 2X or 3X but this is something different entirely.

In the videos you focused a lot on the four corners of the structure and did some follow up pointing around them. I am not an engineer but do the corners concern you? They looked pretty robust to me. I was more concerned with the strength of the lips for the viewing panes but will go back and look. A lot of (relative) leverage on those lips. But like I said, this scale is beyond me. Way beyond.

Thank you for sharing. We are all wishing you well and looking forward to future updates. Take your time.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the wife and I finished binge watching Ted Lasso so I am glad I found this thread. So very interesting.

The scale of this project is so next level. I could repeat what I have done before at 2X or 3X but this is something different entirely.

In the videos you focused a lot on the four corners of the structure and did some follow up pointing around them. I am not an engineer but do the corners concern you? They looked pretty robust to me. I was more concerned with the strength of the lips for the viewing panes but will go back and look. A lot of (relative) leverage on those lips. But like I said, this scale is beyond me. Way beyond.

Thank you for sharing. We are all wishing you well and looking forward to future updates. Take your time.
I still need to watch that!! Maybe when I am done with the build

I did a single pour with tons of rebar rounding the corner with 6” on center 1/2” rebar with 5/8” more reinforcements in all corners. We should be good

thanks for the support / encouragement and for following along!!

F3C1BD77-11AE-4A58-9786-C7C2279DA94C.jpeg

Reighn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One word came to mind when seeing this...Führerbunker !!

All you married guys out there...you owe this guy BIG time! Now whenever your other half rants about your recent purchase of whatever...you can just show her this !!
Are you kidding?? My other half would be all over it egging me on to do it lol

Back