Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for an ' appropriate' RO system look into those made for Hydroponics or Grow Systems. I have a 4k gpd unit that I picked up for a steal used and spent just a few hundred on new filters and a membrane.

But you don't want to do your own DI. By me we have a company that 'rents' tanks of DI resin. It a 60" Tall fiberglass tank of DI Resin. They come out and swap tanks as soon as I call them. They swap tanks around 3x a year for me and I make about 50g a day on average year round plus water changes and leaks. The annual cost is less than half of the cost of buying and dealing with Resin and it's zero effort on my part. I built a TDS monitor alarm that monitors TDS in, TDS after membrane and TDS after Resin Bed. I'm at about 16 months on mine and am ready to swap pre-filters. And will swap out membranes around tax time.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for an ' appropriate' RO system look into those made for Hydroponics or Grow Systems. I have a 4k gpd unit that I picked up for a steal used and spent just a few hundred on new filters and a membrane.

But you don't want to do your own DI. By me we have a company that 'rents' tanks of DI resin. It a 60" Tall fiberglass tank of DI Resin. They come out and swap tanks as soon as I call them. They swap tanks around 3x a year for me and I make about 50g a day on average year round plus water changes and leaks. The annual cost is less than half of the cost of buying and dealing with Resin and it's zero effort on my part. I built a TDS monitor alarm that monitors TDS in, TDS after membrane and TDS after Resin Bed. I'm at about 16 months on mine and am ready to swap pre-filters. And will swap out membranes around tax time.
Thanks Dave Great Idea!!

Love what you are doing out there in the so cal SUN!! ;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C679B34B-7CB7-4E10-8591-F35E01B39E0B.jpeg
1B05B8F6-A46F-4C5C-AFA3-E579D398A440.jpeg
CC6FAED5-3278-4DA9-8135-2C69ABF23597.jpeg
09DA6436-C082-47AD-81E5-D530F952DC9C.jpeg
56E61ABE-E648-4DD5-8B25-EF1DC83CD202.jpeg

First 2000lbs of rock in the tank stacked before the front panel goes in.

Got some amazing large pieces two of which are 2’ x 2’ and a few just under that.

My favorite are the shelf pieces and some of those are giant!! :oops:

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah! It's great to see rock starting to fill this thing. Those shipments from Marcos are always fun, we did a few of them at the store I used to work at. Each rock is like its own Christmas present .

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck yeah! It's great to see rock starting to fill this thing. Those shipments from Marcos are always fun, we did a few of them at the store I used to work at. Each rock is like its own Christmas present .
I agree, never thought I would be so excited about... rock... :p

I can envision where all these are going to go!! Love the different sizes, shapes and potential!!

This is going to be the fun part!!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, never thought I would be so excited about... rock... :p

I can envision where all these are going to go!! Love the different sizes, shapes and potential!!

This is going to be the fun part!!
Haha I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way when unpacking Marcos rocks

It'll be an absolute blast to create! I'd offer to help if I didn't live in Denver. What is your vision for the rockwork? A massive wall? something more 3D? Will it sit on the sandbed at the base, or will you build up a base out of different material with the viewing window sitting so high? It might be cool to start the structure a foot off the sand to allow for good water flow? Might look cool too with fish swimming in and out of a bottom "ledge".

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm glad I wasn't the only one who felt that way when unpacking Marcos rocks

It'll be an absolute blast to create! I'd offer to help if I didn't live in Denver. What is your vision for the rockwork? A massive wall? something more 3D? Will it sit on the sandbed at the base, or will you build up a base out of different material with the viewing window sitting so high? It might be cool to start the structure a foot off the sand to allow for good water flow? Might look cool too with fish swimming in and out of a bottom "ledge".

That's awesome! Thanks! This is the fun part!

Thinking of doing a bit of a thick negative space rock stack with the rock work swinging by the bottom third of the windows so when you are standing there you will see top down on the close SPS then have the stack gradually rise back up to the overflow.

Maybe an arch from between the two viewing panels meeting the horseshoe swoop of rock going by the panels. Will leave space to walk and clean the viewing panels and for corals to grow out into the open area. I do like starting the rock off the ground if possible so detritus will not accumulate under that point of contact with the ground.

Want to use those aquablocks (pond product) for the inside of the rock work where it needs to be thicker (towards the bottom) and they would be perfect to set under the arch feet to create flow down low.

Still a lot to dial in there but that's my thinking so far!

Thanks for your input!

jandlms

Reef Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! Thanks! This is the fun part!

Thinking of doing a bit of a thick negative space rock stack with the rock work swinging by the bottom third of the windows so when you are standing there you will see top down on the close SPS then have the stack gradually rise back up to the overflow.

Maybe an arch from between the two viewing panels meeting the horseshoe swoop of rock going by the panels. Will leave space to walk and clean the viewing panels and for corals to grow out into the open area. I do like starting the rock off the ground if possible so detritus will not accumulate under that point of contact with the ground.

Want to use those aquablocks (pond product) for the inside of the rock work where it needs to be thicker (towards the bottom) and they would be perfect to set under the arch feet to create flow down low.

Still a lot to dial in there but that's my thinking so far!

Thanks for your input!
Love the concept of looking down thru the window ata bed of mixed SPS. Have you, however considered how much your lights are going to diminish thru what? Four or five feet of water? Maybe do a par reading in a swimming pool or water tank to see if your light will penetrate? I’d hate to see you go through all the trouble of setting this up and have the SPS dwindle or die because of insufficient light.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the concept of looking down thru the window ata bed of mixed SPS. Have you, however considered how much your lights are going to diminish thru what? Four or five feet of water? Maybe do a par reading in a swimming pool or water tank to see if your light will penetrate? I’d hate to see you go through all the trouble of setting this up and have the SPS dwindle or die because of insufficient light.
I have been approaching this with the assumption that I can get enough light down to the lowest spot of the top of the reef stack for the SPS. You make a good point because I won't really know where I will land with PAR when all is said and done until I am there with all the specifics of the new build... My last tank was 4' deep and I was able to grow SPS at the 4' depth, not great but ok at that spot, so the top of the stack is targeted to be at no deeper than 4' where I will place the SPS. (LPS and softies on the lower spots on the reef) I am thinking of and planning for additional lighting in certain areas as needed once I get going... good recommendation!!

I am leaning towards the Orphek Amazona's - with 30 degree cups (and lining them with ReefBrite XHO's - that I have already):

Chip 1 - 14K
Chip 2 - 460m blue
Chip 3 - XP blue
Chip 4 - 6k

Anyone have any experience with these?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back