Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if you have a rough estimate of the operating cost per month or year on this tank?
I’m in denial but shooting for $6-8 hundred a month all in… we will see… and yes my friends have placed their best guesses…

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
94D412AF-2C05-4051-8AD3-1C222F20482B.jpeg

New QT tank ready for action… it’s a 240gal should work well…
Meh forget that one in the back, this one should do just fine HA

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is absolutely epic!!! I’m interested to see how you plan to filter this beast. And light it
Those items are up next and hopefully being built by Aquarium Engineering! Still open to all options…

Here is the start of the fish room:
9A4A9B0B-498F-42DD-A1CE-339C95222174.jpeg

Limited to what I can fit through the back walk out door which is 3’ wide… sump will be built in place… those yellow items are sticky notes so I can move them around a few times before I make my final decisions on placement… close to scale ;) also need to fit in a sink and a little fraging table

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those items are up next and hopefully being built by Aquarium Engineering! Still open to all options…

Here is the start of the fish room:
9A4A9B0B-498F-42DD-A1CE-339C95222174.jpeg

Limited to what I can fit through the back walk out door which is 3’ wide… sump will be built in place… those yellow items are sticky notes so I can move them around a few times before I make my final decisions on placement… close to scale ;) also need to fit in a sink and a little fraging table
Exciting to see the progress as you move forward! Have you thought of laying this out in something like Google SketchUp so you can get pinpoint measurements on how much space you'll have to move around?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exciting to see the progress as you move forward! Have you thought of laying this out in something like Google SketchUp so you can get pinpoint measurements on how much space you'll have to move around?
I should do this! I usually just make sure it flows right and muscle through the fine details during the install. There are some folks the plan out every step and others that fly by the seat of their pants... I find myself in the middle where I have built many systems and can make it all work after working through it with a quick drawing and some quick measurements. Good Idea!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should do this! I usually just make sure it flows right and muscle through the fine details during the install. There are some folks the plan out every step and others that fly by the seat of their pants... I find myself in the middle where I have built many systems and can make it all work after working through it with a quick drawing and some quick measurements. Good Idea!
I totally understand that, I find myself to be heavier on the planning side . It's the scientist in me....but also all the mistakes I've made in the past haha. I'm sure you've got it down, but if you need any sketchup help let me know and I'd be happy to lend a hand!

Hope you and the family have a great Thanksgiving!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I go with the shotgun method. If you fill a hallway with ammo you’re bound to hit something.

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate plumbing but I love plumbing my tank. I guess because it’s a creation in itself! Looking forward to seeing all the mechanics coming together on your massive build! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally understand that, I find myself to be heavier on the planning side . It's the scientist in me....but also all the mistakes I've made in the past haha. I'm sure you've got it down, but if you need any sketchup help let me know and I'd be happy to lend a hand!

Hope you and the family have a great Thanksgiving!
Thanks for the offer, that’s such a kind gesture!

And to you, hope you and the family have a great Thanksgiving too!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate plumbing but I love plumbing my tank. I guess because it’s a creation in itself! Looking forward to seeing all the mechanics coming together on your massive build! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!
Hope to keep the plumbing as simple as possible on this one! Love the build part of this!! And to you have a great Thanksgiving!!

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope to keep the plumbing as simple as possible on this one! Love the build part of this!! And to you have a great Thanksgiving!!
My plumbing is complex. Mostly because I have lots of external equipment, don’t have any back walls to my tank, working in a pentagon shape, don’t want anything showing on the sides of the tanks and wanting to leave everything exposed.

if I did another build (which of course I would love to and somehat your fault! LOL) I would want a room behind the tank to house everything and keep it simple. My back would also thank me!

I am so enjoying watching yours come together.

steve

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plumbing is complex. Mostly because I have lots of external equipment, don’t have any back walls to my tank, working in a pentagon shape, don’t want anything showing on the sides of the tanks and wanting to leave everything exposed.

if I did another build (which of course I would love to and somehat your fault! LOL) I would want a room behind the tank to house everything and keep it simple. My back would also thank me!

I am so enjoying watching yours come together.

steve

Thanks Steve! Your build is so clean! Love have you have it all neatly tucked away underneath!

Still love what you did with your rock work!! So awesome!! :cool:

Thanks for following along and chiming in!

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Last edited:
Back