Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in the Bay Area there were guys that would go a few miles out off the coast and pump a few thousand gallons into a reservoir on the boat and then transfer it to their truck and then fill up tanks in the area. I think there was like a 250 gallon minimum. I doubt there is anything like that in UT. Although the salinity content of the great salt lake can be more than 35ppt and then could be diluted with rodi.
That would be perfect!! Good thinking!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B3B69458-691A-4902-80C5-3472D9AA4465.jpeg
B1FB54E9-80FD-4679-AD75-4CCA35E56CB6.jpeg
67FEF453-D3EF-4D1B-BC64-B357CDDA6AEB.jpeg
2081C5AA-262A-48E7-BBB7-1FC2EB5F3E71.jpeg

Have a few inches up the panels!! Super stoked right now!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very excited for you. Hope it all goes well. Do you have an estimated time for it to be full? I really want to check back in tonight.
I’ll probably take it to half way up the viewing panel today. I’m still waiting on the overflow so this is really to just test the panels and see how they do.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I lived in the Bay Area there were guys that would go a few miles out off the coast and pump a few thousand gallons into a reservoir on the boat and then transfer it to their truck and then fill up tanks in the area. I think there was like a 250 gallon minimum. I doubt there is anything like that in UT. Although the salinity content of the great salt lake can be more than 35ppt and then could be diluted with rodi.

That would be perfect!! Good thinking!!

Think of all the brine shrimp you would get from there

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so exciting, I can't imagine how pumped you are!

Have you looked into what tap water testing looks like in your area? I know over in Golden, CO some people done even use RODI water, they'll just put on a 3 canister water purification system with sediment/carbon/di resin. If it's not bad you might be able to just use prime and let it sit for a few weeks as you test the silicone and not have to refill it. Just a thought, I get the want to fill with RODI too.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so exciting, I can't imagine how pumped you are!

Have you looked into what tap water testing looks like in your area? I know over in Golden, CO some people done even use RODI water, they'll just put on a 3 canister water purification system with sediment/carbon/di resin. If it's not bad you might be able to just use prime and let it sit for a few weeks as you test the silicone and not have to refill it. Just a thought, I get the want to fill with RODI too.

Good idea! I like the idea of not wasting this water for sure…

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the top of the panel that was the problem child, no?
Yes I injected it with silicone, so far so good but you are right I’m not going to be able to fully test it till I get the overflow in… this is to put some pressure on the panels and test the seams I can test

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I injected it with silicone, so far so good but you are right I’m not going to be able to fully test it till I get the overflow in… this is to put some pressure on the panels and test the seams I can test
Hoping for the best. Just in case though, prepare the lifeboats :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back