Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh I see, I misinterpreted the need for more sump volume. I was thinking it was for more filtration. Have you calculated where you'd like the height to be in the tank and how much water you need to be able to hold if the power goes out?

Depending on how much that is the 500 gallon might have to be run at half it's height or you could have a satellite bin that is attached to the sump via an emergency drain (or 2) to handle all the water.
I've been using the trial and "almost" error method :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: on the sump so far since it's been a temporary effort.

I ran two Hammerhead golds on the last system with the 200 gallon sump and it contained all the back flow with the holes in the return pipes to break the syphon so I knew it would work.

If/when I add additional turnover to the tank I will need to be a little more strategic in what the sump can hold.

I have some time this weekend to work on the tank but the sump situation is still up in the air... :confused:

I may start adding some more fish and clean coral rocks to the big tank from the 240. looking to take that down as a first step. We will see :oops:

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E07BCF17-0B5E-43A4-964A-E0EA7B6EAB45.jpeg

So I did some things… LOL!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spent a few hours diving in the tank placing corals and moving rocks from the holding system over to the big tank. Nothing is in its final place yet but I needed to get the holding tanks emptied so I can build out the final fish room and filtration.

Thanks to a good fish buddy (Allen Bishop) for helping bring corals to me for placement. It made it way easier! Also thanks to my wife for filming (15 videos) all my best angles while I was diving in the tank. :D

Water was a warm 78 degrees right now so I didn’t get cold at all.

I will eventually have a wetsuit, hookah system and weight belt for when I place corals in their final spots and to do regular maintenance. That will keep me from floating to the top all the time.

This dive was just to get corals and more seasoned live rock in the big tank and free up the sumps.

We moved over just over half of the rock and corals so I will do one more session this weekend to get everything out of the 500 gallon bin & sump.

88430F89-9CF9-4213-BBD4-AC9E9BBE62A7.jpeg

The 240 gallon is emptied, cleaned and I used it for a water change yesterday. ;)

Last edited:

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spent a few hours diving in the tank placing corals and moving rocks from the holding system over to the big tank. Nothing is in its final place yet but I needed to get the holding tanks emptied so I can build out the final fish room and filtration.

Thanks to a good fish buddy (Allen Bishop) for helping bring corals to me for placement. It made it way easier! Also thanks to my wife for filming (15 videos) all my best angles while I was diving in the tank. :D

Water was a warm 78 degrees right now so I didn’t get cold at all.

I will eventually have a wetsuit, hookah system and weight belt for when I place corals in their final spots and to do regular maintenance. That will keep me from floating to the top all the time.

This dive was just to get corals and more seasoned live rock in the big tank and free up the sumps.

We moved over just over half of the rock and corals so I will do one more session this weekend to get everything out of the 500 gallon bin & sump.

The 240 gallon is emptied, cleaned and I used it for a water change yesterday. ;)

Awesome. This brings back memories for me i used to work at a rainforest Cafe taking care of the aquariums. We used a hooka, weight belts and wore wetsuits to stay comfortable. 1-2hr dives to scrub algae and vac the sand in the big archway aquarium it was always a ton of fun.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of people don't care for par levels but any chance you've measured, be interested to know the different from top to bottom
I do want to measure for sure!

I think I am going to need some extended cables due to the 90" depth.

It's on the list of things to do! ;)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back