Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CEF386BD-CFA3-4394-969E-2E6BE26C58B5.jpeg

Almost ready for this big guy from Chris G! Bro your tank is off the charts cool!! If you look past this whale you will see what I’m talking about!!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the corals makes a huge difference. The rock alone looked bland; now it’s a reef.

So do you rinse off in the shower before diving in? Are you concerned about soap/detergents or oils from your clothes and body?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding the corals makes a huge difference. The rock alone looked bland; now it’s a reef.

So do you rinse off in the shower before diving in? Are you concerned about soap/detergents or oils from your clothes and body?
Agreed, looks way better now and will just continue to get better and better over time...

Yes I scrub down before I jump in. So far I have just been in there a few times and have taken my chances with that swimsuit. Everything looks good and the skimmer didn't go crazy so I think we are good. Corals in there are easy ones to keep but when I load up on SPS I will be even more careful. I will get a wetsuit eventually and just rinse it out after each dive in FW and shower before and after each dive. ;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathtaking. Admit it, you’ve shed one tear!
A fellow reefer asked to bring over his wife to "take a look for just a few minutes"... we enjoyed seeing cool stuff for over two hours! They took videos and are going to build one in their new home from the ground up when that time comes.

I think we did a great job helping his wife feel the stoke seeing it in person! Super fun!! To see them get so excited about it was a cool moment and yes I may have shed a tear or two while they were here. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Awesome to see this project continue full steam ahead despite Bill Wann's best efforts to stifle it!
Thank you! I'm working with MRC and saving another round of funds to eventually purchase their big 24" skimmer. It fits perfectly in the skimmer pit and will do a great job. I sent Bill Wann a formal demand for refund letter last week even though I've been asking for months for the gear or the $13,500 back. It's a bummer man for sure! You think in 18 months since my first payment to him he would have been able to provide some gear that was promised. :(

Indoor salt water pool looks nice!
Funny you should say that... there was a part of me in a quiet moment when the kids were swimming in there I thought man I should have just built a pool for the kids with viewing panels. Then I shook that off real quick and got back to work building a concrete pool for the fish and corals! LOL ;)

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a video of full blue and full 10k cannons lights with all corals and all fish in the new tank...

Wow, just incredible! You have been waiting a long time for this moment (so have we ). You must be so thrilled to see it all come together. It looks amazing. It’s crazy how much livestock you had in the other tanks.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, just incredible! You have been waiting a long time for this moment (so have we ). You must be so thrilled to see it all come together. It looks amazing. It’s crazy how much livestock you had in the other tanks.
Thank you!! I’m super stoked!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

The holding system was just under a thousand gallons and had tons of room spread out in three large footprints (8’x4’, 4’x4’ & 8’x2’). I did lose most of my SPS during the build but LPS and softies did great!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FISH ADDED TO THE 5K - 6/12/22

TANGS:

Black
Yellow (3)
Purple (6)
Scopas (2)
Desjardini sailfin (2)

Sohal
Clown
Fowleri
Eyelined (2)
Yellowfin
Powder blue
Blue
Lavender
Tomini
Orange shoulder

White margin unicorn
Humpback unicorn
Spotted unicorn (2)
Blue spine unicorn
XXL Vlamingii
Med Vlamingii
Blond naso

FOXFACE/RABBITFISH:
Foxface (2)
Majestic foxface (2)
Orangespot rabbitfish

WRASSE:
Yellow coris (2)
Mystery
Sixline

CARDINAL:
Pajama (10)
Banggai (4)

ANGEL:
Flame
Coral beauty
Queen

BUTTERFLY:
Copperband (2)

BLENNY:
Lawnmower (3)

DAMSEL:
Green Chromis (2)
Azure (3)
Blue (2)
Sapphire

CLOWN:
Wyoming whites (3)
Onyx (2)
Lightning maroon
Pink skunk

HAWK:
Flame
Falco

OTHER:
Mono (3)
Springeri dottyback (2)
Aptasia eating filefish

May have missed a few but that’s close!! LOL

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me three days to work through this awesome thread.
you're insane. but your insanity is our gain. :)
amazing undertaking that you hammered through with amazing speed.
Aside from the obvious reasons to love your work, I cant help but ask why you didnt just make that skimmer on your own.
You put a fully functional commercial grade aquarium in your basement. out of concrete.
I cant help but think something like a skimmer would be child's play to you, no?

Keep the updates coming. All your hard work is paying off because we're ALL drooling over this system.

Being new to this sport its hobbyists like you that keep us all inspired
(and broke.)

-cap

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me three days to work through this awesome thread.
you're insane. but your insanity is our gain. :)
amazing undertaking that you hammered through with amazing speed.
Aside from the obvious reasons to love your work, I cant help but ask why you didnt just make that skimmer on your own.
You put a fully functional commercial grade aquarium in your basement. out of concrete.
I cant help but think something like a skimmer would be child's play to you, no?

Keep the updates coming. All your hard work is paying off because we're ALL drooling over this system.

Being new to this sport its hobbyists like you that keep us all inspired
(and broke.)

-cap
Thank you for your kind words and for following along this crazy journey!

I appreciate your words of encouragement. I think I could build a big skimmer. I was hoping while I focused on building the box I could plug and play the filtration gear.

I may end up building the sump and some more of the filtration gear after all.

I love this stuff!! Thanks for following along!

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love this stuff!! Thanks for following along!

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

your insanity and ability to forge ahead makes following along super easy.
i feel confident in saying I speak for most people that stopped by and took the time to read through your journey.

we need more women in the world like your girl.
i think, she has more patience than you. which is amazing to say...

If i dug a hole in my basement, my wife would kick me into it.

:beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back