Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build! Thank you for sharing your experience with the community for us all to learn from. Maybe this is a silly question: Because your tank is so large, do the small fish get "lost" amongst the rockwork and corals?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool build! Thank you for sharing your experience with the community for us all to learn from. Maybe this is a silly question: Because your tank is so large, do the small fish get "lost" amongst the rockwork and corals?
Good question... Like all of us I kind of do a fish inventory each time I look at the tank. So I do look for the smalls like the mystery wrasse, flame hawk, some clowns and any fish I am keeping an eye on. They do show up eventually when I look close enough. Sometimes they pop up just when I'm scanning the reef for coral health...

Right now the two copperbands are fighting like crazy and one of them has some ripped fins so I look for him each day. Soon I will be able to net him out of the top corner of the tank and put him safely in QT.

Quick answer is that the fish are all very active and seem to pop up eventually after watching the reef for a few minutes. I'm also learning where they like to spend their time so I can look in certain rock stacks for certain fish.

;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What hookah system did you go with
28C9FC16-5FA2-4A7F-B9F3-0D2B5249FE7D.jpeg

Hookamax, seemed like a good one…

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of impact have you had on your energy bill with this monster?
I haven’t checked details yet but I’m running the same number of pumps in the big tank as I did on the 720, 2-200 bins and sump. Lights are close to a wash with each cannon coming in at 165watts vs. 400watt MH from before… I’m sure it will be a few hundred dollars more for the big tank energy bill once the smoke clears. (Just because I’m going to slim down the number of tanks to one rather than 3-4 big ones)… I hope ;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice.
What’s the 240 in fish room for?

we’re you going to do a quarantine system somewhere too?
Maybe fish QT but I feel it may be a little too big for that… maybe fish Hospital…

I have a 40 breeder, 20 long, 75 and 20 regular I can configure into some QT systems

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question... Like all of us I kind of do a fish inventory each time I look at the tank. So I do look for the smalls like the mystery wrasse, flame hawk, some clowns and any fish I am keeping an eye on. They do show up eventually when I look close enough. Sometimes they pop up just when I'm scanning the reef for coral health...

Right now the two copperbands are fighting like crazy and one of them has some ripped fins so I look for him each day. Soon I will be able to net him out of the top corner of the tank and put him safely in QT.

Quick answer is that the fish are all very active and seem to pop up eventually after watching the reef for a few minutes. I'm also learning where they like to spend their time so I can look in certain rock stacks for certain fish.

;)
That’s too bad to hear about the Copperbands. I was going to try a pair in my 500 gallon, but unsure after reading that. Do you think you might have two of the same sex?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s too bad to hear about the Copperbands. I was going to try a pair in my 500 gallon, but unsure after reading that. Do you think you might have two of the same sex?
Could be same sex... just had them in different holding tanks and they were doing great. They started out fine in the big tank but now one is shredded and hanging out in the top corner... I keep trying to catch him but he still has enough kick in him to swim away as soon as he sees the net... ;)

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be same sex... just had them in different holding tanks and they were doing great. They started out fine in the big tank but now one is shredded and hanging out in the top corner... I keep trying to catch him but he still has enough kick in him to swim away as soon as he sees the net... ;)
Ain’t it wild? I had something similar in my 500 gallon with a trio of azure damsels. Once two of them paired off they chased the other one into the top corner. You’d think the tank size could accommodate this but apparently not. Little buddy wouldn’t let me catch him though and they eventually killed him.

Do you have close-ups of each of the copperbands?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ain’t it wild? I had something similar in my 500 gallon with a trio of azure damsels. Once two of them paired off they chased the other one into the top corner. You’d think the tank size could accommodate this but apparently not. Little buddy wouldn’t let me catch him though and they eventually killed him.

Do you have close-ups of each of the copperbands?
I'll work to get some pics of each of them... I was excited when they first went in and thought they had paired off but after a few days they started fighting... guess there isn't enough room in that tank for the both of them (my guess is they are the same sex).

Bpp124987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe fish QT but I feel it may be a little too big for that… maybe fish Hospital…

I have a 40 breeder, 20 long, 75 and 20 regular I can configure into some QT systems

cool. You’d probably want the qt and hospital in another room given possibility of aerosol transmission

Achilles Torben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the past I had success with integrate a small one in the tank. After a few months I put a much bigger one in the tank. Double in size was imported. The small one bullies the adult one over days. Then the aggression stops from one to the other day. If I saddled a small one and later a mediums it doesn't work and the medium died. A small one and a large one work

Or you put ten I in one tank at the same time like Andrew then you spread out the aggression themselves.

Back