Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing!! Thanks for posting this!

How often do you take a dive?
I clean the viewing panels weekly with the big mighty magnet and dive it every 3 or 4 weeks.

If I notice a coral has fallen to the depths and is not going to survive (plate upside down, hammer in between rocks, lobo next to a rock nem, blasto upside down) then I make a note - I will dive in and sort that out sooner than later. If the coral falls and is going to survive then it can wait.

Honestly, it’s a lot more preparation, work and clean up than I anticipated. I also need to coordinate the dive with a spotter (knowledgeable reefing buddy) so they can help move things around, keep an eye on me, the sump, skimmer and gear while I’m on the dive.

I do love spending time spacing out the corals and adjusting the flow for long term success.

I make a list of things to do when I dive so the time is spent well and I don’t forget anything.

It’s also fun to interact with the animals in there. Some fish don’t mind my presence and others duck for cover. One bites me.

I want to go in with food each time so they get used to me being a non threat.

I do learn things each time I dive the tank that make it easier. The first few times I tied the air hose off to the clip on my back and the hose knocked hammers and broke them all up while I was moving around in there.

Funny story - I went in to zip tie some more hammers on the walls of the reef. Ended up mounting 3 new hammers and the hose knocked off 3 that were already placed - net zero for the effort! LOL

This last dive I didn’t tie off the air hose to my back, just let it go up to the surface straight from the regulator. That worked much better.

Last edited:

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I clean the viewing panels weekly with the big mighty magnet and dive it every 3 or 4 weeks.

If I notice a coral has fallen to the depths and is not going to survive (plate upside down, hammer in between rocks, lobo next to a rock nem, blasto upside down) then I make a note - I will dive in and sort that out sooner than later. If the coral falls and is going to survive then it can wait.

Honestly, it’s a lot more preparation, work and clean up than I anticipated. I also need to coordinate the dive with a spotter (knowledgeable reefing buddy) so they can help move things around, keep an eye on me, the sump, skimmer and gear while I’m on the dive.

I do love spending time spacing out the corals and adjusting the flow for long term success.

I make a list of things to do when I dive so the time is spent well and I don’t forget anything.

It’s also fun to interact with the animals in there. Some fish don’t mind my presence and others duck for cover. One bites me.

I want to go in with food each time so they get used to me being a non threat.

I do learn things each time I dive the tank that make it easier. The first few times I tied the air hose off to the clip on my back and the hose knocked hammers and broke them all up while I was moving around in there.

Funny story - I went in to zip tie some more hammers on the walls of the reef. Ended up mounting 3 new hammers and the hose knocked off 3 that were already placed - net zero for the effort! LOL

This last dive I didn’t tie off the air hose to my back, just let it go up to the surface straight from the regulator. That worked much better.
Lol, growing pains! Yeah, that sounds like quite the ordeal to make a dive.

It's awesome that you can become one of the exhibits in your aquarium!

Excited to see how it evolves!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0F0D6D4E-5AB4-42A9-8A04-C39260872770.jpeg

What happens when you have too many nems and spend a few hours removing them from the display?!

They split in the holding tank!! LOL

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at the first pic for the feeder stand and was thinking "where are the zip ties?" Scrolling down... there they are.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The square drop down is not needed on this tank (built for sitting on the rim of a previous glass tank) so I may end up cutting that off or just cutting a new platform to screw on there because it will hit the concrete top rim if I need to roll the lights out of the way…

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back