Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you gonna put in/maintain corals and such ? Scuba !? Seems awful close to ceiling is why I ask…
Yes we will be getting a regulator set up... it's 8' deep so I will need something but hope to keep the diving to a minimum after initial set up ;)

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes we will be getting a regulator set up... it's 8' deep so I will need something but hope to keep the diving to a minimum after initial set up ;)
Wow…that’s awesome !! I bow down to your…whats the word…grit, determination, willingness to take on such a project..insanity maybe ! lol. Seriously, just the scope of this overwhelms me ! I got a little 65 gal tank and just thinking of upgrading to something like a 210 or so gives me the shivers…let alone this !

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow…that’s awesome !! I bow down to your…whats the word…grit, determination, willingness to take on such a project..insanity maybe ! lol. Seriously, just the scope of this overwhelms me ! I got a little 65 gal tank and just thinking of upgrading to something like a 210 or so gives me the shivers…let alone this !
It's nuts for sure!! I'm doing all the work myself with help from my brother and friends here and there. Usually I'll work on it over the weekend and be totally sore on Monday!!

I'll admit it's a huge task!! I'm just focused on each next step and powering through that and onto the next one. Truth be told I have walked down into the room a few times and thought "What was I thinking!!" ;)

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told I have walked down into the room a few times and thought "What was I thinking!!"
LOL !! I did the same thing restoring my '55 Chevy, the one in my Avatar ! Took me 3 years to do and lost count of how many times I said that same thing...especially after I completely blew it apart !!

But keep doing what you said...power thru it..what I did, and was worth it when completed. That sense of ''I DID THIS" will overcome all your doubts...trust me !

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL !! I did the same thing restoring my '55 Chevy, the one in my Avatar ! Took me 3 years to do and lost count of how many times I said that same thing...especially after I completely blew it apart !!

But keep doing what you said...power thru it..what I did, and was worth it when completed. That sense of ''I DID THIS" will overcome all your doubts...trust me !
That is an awesome CAR!! Thanks for the encouragement!! :)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super stoked I came across this thread. I recognized your name from your original 750(i think). You did a giant acrylic sump underneath. Man, that was a lot of years ago.

Matt
That was my old build from a few years back! Loved that 750gal and that acrylic sump was a beast too!! ;) Thanks for checking out my new build! Planning to have this one for the next 10 years!! Hope you are well Matt!!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't wait to see this progress, my dream to do a huge aquarium one day. Question... Do you intend to fibreglass the inside to water tight it?
I have been watching a lot of pond building videos from the UK that are fiberglassing their concrete ponds. I like this idea a lot... I also have seen some people use epoxy but I am leaning towards the fiberglass as a long term source for success.

hans4811

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could always do something like this ! You’re basically at 3:56 in the video Did this in an outdoor koi pond once using thick rubber liner…lasted for 10 years or more. Sold the house…may still be there for all I know…

KarlsReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been watching a lot of pond building videos from the UK that are fiberglassing their concrete ponds. I like this idea a lot... I also have seen some people use epoxy but I am leaning towards the fiberglass as a long term source for success.
Yeh id recommend fibreglass it seems the more popular option over here in the uk, good luck with everything, can't wait to see

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my old build from a few years back! Loved that 750gal and that acrylic sump was a beast too!! ;) Thanks for checking out my new build! Planning to have this one for the next 10 years!! Hope you are well Matt!!
Are you really based out of Saratoga Springs?? I would love to see this setup sometime! I'm new into saltwater/reefing, but ramping up quickly. I recently bought a house in Herriman off of mountain view, and am building one in Lehi. Would love to do something like this one day!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you really based out of Saratoga Springs?? I would love to see this setup sometime! I'm new into saltwater/reefing, but ramping up quickly. I recently bought a house in Herriman off of mountain view, and am building one in Lehi. Would love to do something like this one day!
My parents in law live in Herriman off of mountain view! You are welcome to come see it anytime! ;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3FECF32E-0B95-480F-8BC4-097F141D657B.jpeg

Today is 28 days since the walls were poured!! Here is the back wall and the skimmer pit…

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw where you are going back to AE for another skimmer. I ordered a CX come July will be one year ago, and I still have not received all the parts I ordered. Now that Bill's mom is having medical problems I worried about how long it will take for you to get your new skimmer. Your current skimmer must be great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is "AMAZING BUILD!!!", here I was thinking I had a really understanding wife. I don't think she would ever approve this type of project. Great work. Loving the build.
Thanks for following the build... My wife is an outlier ;)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also saw where you are going back to AE for another skimmer. I ordered a CX come July will be one year ago, and I still have not received all the parts I ordered. Now that Bill's mom is having medical problems I worried about how long it will take for you to get your new skimmer. Your current skimmer must be great.
I have had my challenges too getting what I order from Bill. His build quality is AMAZING... customer service... well... he needs some help over there to keep up!! :confused:

Back