Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2597C669-241F-4DB3-BB07-24F3137F7A0C.jpeg
C61834BE-B3ED-4942-8335-1E8933638F20.jpeg

Sump will be built by Aquarium Engineering out of PVC and be 8’x4’ just trying to decide on height… top of blue tape are 4’, 3.5’, and 3’ heights

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2597C669-241F-4DB3-BB07-24F3137F7A0C.jpeg
C61834BE-B3ED-4942-8335-1E8933638F20.jpeg

Sump will be built by Aquarium Engineering out of PVC and be 8’x4’ just trying to decide on height… top of blue tape are 4’, 3.5’, and 3’ heights
Suddenly my 300 gallon aquarium seems really small. Especially when your sump is bigger then my tank.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to use sumps bigger than what most people think I need. Even if I run them normally at 25-50% capacity, just for "you never know" cases.

Therefore, I'd go with the 4' tall sump - even if you don't need that much water in it all the time. Power Outage capacity...

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to use sumps bigger than what most people think I need. Even if I run them normally at 25-50% capacity, just for "you never know" cases.

Therefore, I'd go with the 4' tall sump - even if you don't need that much water in it all the time. Power Outage capacity...
I’m of the same mindset! I don’t like to use check valves so I like lots of room for water holding when the power shuts off. I also need some extra capacity for when I have to jump in and swim around in there. ;)

I ordered the 4’ but may have to drop it to 3.5’ so I can make the turns with those big 3” - 90’s!

Thanks for your feedback!

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m of the same mindset! I don’t like to use check valves so I like lots of room for water holding when the power shuts off. I also need some extra capacity for when I have to jump in and swim around in there. ;)

I ordered the 4’ but may have to drop it to 3.5’ so I can make the turns with those big 3” - 90’s!

Thanks for your feedback!

That’s what it looks like with some “T’s” on the 3” pipes… just set in

I should have called it out as well. I'm not a check valve fan either.
Glad you ordered the 4' height, I hadn't though about the displacement volume when you go for a cleaning swim.

Looking at your "T"s photo, if the 3" pipes stuck a little farther out, it looks like you could fit any size 3" plumbing, and still maintain the 4' height. Looking forward to seeing how this plumbing plays out.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to Bill Wann from Aquarium Engineering about the gear (Skimmer, UV, Heat Exchanger, Sump and Frag tank).

Originally he had some separate pieces of large gear for the Heat Exchanger and UV.

We talked about integrating each of them into the new 8’x4’x4’ sump. Simple, clean. I love this idea!! So the sump will have a viewing windows, UV’s and the Heat exchanger built in!!

Excited to see what we can do in this regard. My goal is to keep the filtration as simple as possible.

Still no bumpers for the viewing panels but Bill said he shipped them for a Friday arrival… nothing yet…

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking this out. AMAZING build. Thank so much for allowing us to share the journey with you.

I'm building my 800g in my office because my wife is not agreeing to a tank at home. I showed her both your builds tonight but I don't think it helped with my "home aquarium" argument. Maybe I should have showed her a smaller tank build. LOL

I may just have to get a bigger office. :cool:

Steve

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checking this out. AMAZING build. Thank so much for allowing us to share the journey with you.

I'm building my 800g in my office because my wife is not agreeing to a tank at home. I showed her both your builds tonight but I don't think it helped with my "home aquarium" argument. Maybe I should have showed her a smaller tank build. LOL

I may just have to get a bigger office. :cool:

Steve
Thanks Steve for your note! Stoked to share what we love with others!

Wow your 800gal is a big tank!! Oh and those pillars are soo RAD!! Love what you are doing!!

That's funny, rock the office tank, break her down a bit then go for the big tank at home!! LOL!! :p

Thanks for chiming in! Great to know you are enjoying the journey!!

Best,
Dave

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Steve for your note! Stoked to share what we love with others!

Wow your 800gal is a big tank!! Oh and those pillars are soo RAD!! Love what you are doing!!

That's funny, rock the office tank, break her down a bit then go for the big tank at home!! LOL!! :p

Thanks for chiming in! Great to know you are enjoying the journey!!

Best,
Dave
You're calling my tank big? LOL

Actually in fairness to her it makes so much sense to have a tank at the office. 1. The employees maintain, 2. It's tax deductible, 3. I spend more time at the office than at home!

I have some experience in saltwater systems but not a lot. At times I feel over my head. I do research a lot and ask advise. Hopefully it will come together well. I have three temp tanks. Two are going great but one has had issues and I've lost some fish. Of course I am glad to handle all the issues NOW before I fill the display.

I think I can be putting water in the tank in around 30 days. But I am not in a big rush. Lots to do.

Do you have a fill date for yours? When will we see the fish in it? Are you building a similar aquascape as your previous build? Are you selling tickets to view? :cool:

Steve

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're calling my tank big? LOL

Actually in fairness to her it makes so much sense to have a tank at the office. 1. The employees maintain, 2. It's tax deductible, 3. I spend more time at the office than at home!

I have some experience in saltwater systems but not a lot. At times I feel over my head. I do research a lot and ask advise. Hopefully it will come together well. I have three temp tanks. Two are going great but one has had issues and I've lost some fish. Of course I am glad to handle all the issues NOW before I fill the display.

I think I can be putting water in the tank in around 30 days. But I am not in a big rush. Lots to do.

Do you have a fill date for yours? When will we see the fish in it? Are you building a similar aquascape as your previous build? Are you selling tickets to view? :cool:

Steve
That’s awesome!! I get to work from home sometimes so I love having the tank where I work! Good plan!

I am working to get the viewing panels in this week. I have a 30 day dry time for the silicone while I build out the filtration and fish room. Best case would be in a month or two for water I am going to do a larger version of what I did for the 720 so basically Marco rock covering the closed loop with premium flat rock on top… dreaming of the perfect stack now!! I should be!! Neighbors are all wanting to come swim in it! LOL!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back