Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My wife and daughter were a huge help today doing the silicone on that first panel!!
4C583F15-A337-48FD-A9F9-CA59A47DF95C.jpeg
A8C772BD-F1D7-4DB9-9ECD-684B377CAAC5.jpeg
8C83CEF2-18AE-4BDA-9F40-AD55F05B6C62.jpeg
D478AF70-D544-4DC5-B502-B5FA9987A16D.jpeg

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that looks like quite the adventure to get that large of a piece of acrylic into the tank and up on the viewing ledge! Congratulations! it has got to feel great seeing that progress Really glad you added video too, it's amazing to see that happen in action.

This is probably going into be dumb, but I wasn't able to see silicone in the pictures or video. Did I miss something? Haha
Silicone was today’s activity

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went through every page when I should be getting something done for my wedding in 3 weeks…. Oops!

I have a 5000 gallon koi pond in my back yard that was a PITA to get up and dialed in, I can’t imagine going UP and adding viewing panels, hole in the ground was enough for me!

Here’s a video of me feeding today if you’re curious what 5000 gallons looks like from above, ha.

Koi Pond

One thing I didn’t see asked and I’m curious about…. You went with blue epoxy for the inside of the tank, was there a specific reason you went that route? I know for us “normie” tank folk that black is the go-to for background color, wanted to hear your thoughts.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehehe “playing fish” is a great relaxing activity to prepare for your wedding!! Congratulations on your wedding!!

Love your pond thanks for sharing!! My youngest son Kenny (10) and I watch pond building videos every night before bed!! Do you have a turtle (I see a ramp)? Love your waterfall and the shape of your pond!! That’s sweet!!

The light blue reminds me of the open water in the ocean as you look off in the distance when diving. It’s going to be covered in coraline algae over time anyway so i didn’t think too hard about it. Good question.
2E9B781D-B069-4D80-90C5-8665180F778B.jpeg

Thanks for checking it out!!

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hehehe “playing fish” is a great relaxing activity to prepare for your wedding!! Congratulations on your wedding!!

Love your pond thanks for sharing!! My youngest son Kenny (10) and I watch pond building videos every night before bed!! Do you have a turtle (I see a ramp)? Love your waterfall and the shape of your pond!! That’s sweet!!

The light blue reminds me of the open water in the ocean as you look off in the distance when diving. It’s going to be covered in coraline algae over time anyway so i didn’t think too hard about it. Good question.
2E9B781D-B069-4D80-90C5-8665180F778B.jpeg

Thanks for checking it out!!
Actually that’s for our dang DUCKS!

15lb ducks that think they’re dogs.

I don’t know why I never thought of a turtle or two though??? maybe there’s a surprise in my almost wife’s future…

That ramp is the most RIGGED point of sale that I have ever built, but when our big ol Muscovys were still too small to get out of the pond my fiancé was freaking out about them drowning. (they’re ducks…but let’s not go there.) so I built that out of pallet wood, a vertical 4 inch PVC pipe as a kick stand, and a ton of brown flex seal to protect it. It’s been up for at least 6 months with no issues so as long as it works who cares!

great point on the natural reef blue though, I just know people like the contrast of black and as I was scrolling I was

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually that’s for our dang DUCKS!

15lb ducks that think they’re dogs.

I don’t know why I never thought of a turtle or two though??? maybe there’s a surprise in my almost wife’s future…

That ramp is the most RIGGED point of sale that I have ever built, but when our big ol Muscovys were still too small to get out of the pond my fiancé was freaking out about them drowning. (they’re ducks…but let’s not go there.) so I built that out of pallet wood, a vertical 4 inch PVC pipe as a kick stand, and a ton of brown flex seal to protect it. It’s been up for at least 6 months with no issues so as long as it works who cares!

great point on the natural reef blue though, I just know people like the contrast of black and as I was scrolling I was
Them ducks are BIG!! That ramp is going to last a long time!! :p

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooooo I see, I haven't seen silicone done like this before on a front panel. I've typically seen people put silicone on first and then place the panel. What made you chose this injection type method?
Kind of a hybrid of what I have seen done… built a few glass tanks using the injection method in the past. Bill Wann shared how he did his panels with the bumpers.

683FF19A-12B3-494B-8FF9-B6BC8E7DEF98.jpeg

Just figured I would silicone from the inside out and the outside in. Gives it about a 5” + silicone bead.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of a hybrid of what I have seen done… built a few glass tanks using the injection method in the past. Bill Wann shared how he did his panels with the bumpers.

683FF19A-12B3-494B-8FF9-B6BC8E7DEF98.jpeg

Just figured I would silicone from the inside out and the outside in. Gives it about a 5” + silicone bead.

Thank you for the detailed response, that makes a lot of sense. I asked because I am looking at designing my own tank (plywood) and was curious about the method. It isn't one I've seen used on here before, but I like it. Better to over silicone than under silicone! :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 49 86.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back