Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
042D8614-9CA6-421E-B93C-476A93DD10F9.jpeg
7B15334B-3226-4D22-92C6-8AFBDAE036DE.jpeg
E3904212-ABA2-4A51-B66A-0DF8B5066F60.jpeg
B3A8B4D7-9FD2-492E-B132-7B34E487136E.jpeg

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so exciting, I can't imagine how pumped you are!

Have you looked into what tap water testing looks like in your area? I know over in Golden, CO some people done even use RODI water, they'll just put on a 3 canister water purification system with sediment/carbon/di resin. If it's not bad you might be able to just use prime and let it sit for a few weeks as you test the silicone and not have to refill it. Just a thought, I get the want to fill with RODI too.
Do you know what 3 canister system they used? I’m really liking that idea!!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know what 3 canister system they used? I’m really liking that idea!!
When I used to do it on my old 180 I found an old RO/DI system and stripped the membrane and added a 3rd canister for the DI resin. I was in an area that already had good tap water so just be sure to look up local testing to see if there is anything to worry about in doing this.

With how big your aquarium is I might just buy new canisters from BRS (or whomever your preferred vendor is) and get the 20" canisters so the cartridges last longer.

I used a handheld tds meter as a proxy for how "good" the water was.

My system looked like this:
5 micron sediment
1 micron carbon
DI resin

But you could expand the unit to 4 or 5 cartridges to add other larger/smaller sediment filters to help reduce turnover of cartridges downstream and then make your carbon block filter smaller if needed.

Hope that helps!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I used to do it on my old 180 I found an old RO/DI system and stripped the membrane and added a 3rd canister for the DI resin. I was in an area that already had good tap water so just be sure to look up local testing to see if there is anything to worry about in doing this.

With how big your aquarium is I might just buy new canisters from BRS (or whomever your preferred vendor is) and get the 20" canisters so the cartridges last longer.

I used a handheld tds meter as a proxy for how "good" the water was.

My system looked like this:
5 micron sediment
1 micron carbon
DI resin

But you could expand the unit to 4 or 5 cartridges to add other larger/smaller sediment filters to help reduce turnover of cartridges downstream and then make your carbon block filter smaller if needed.

Hope that helps!
Yes, that’s awesome, thank you!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s awesome, thank you!
Anytime, happy to help!

Wow, it's so cool to see this much water in the aquarium! Have you noticed if the bowing of the front panel has gotten better with how much water you have right now? Can you tell if it has straightened back to be touching the silicone at all?

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime, happy to help!

Wow, it's so cool to see this much water in the aquarium! Have you noticed if the bowing of the front panel has gotten better with how much water you have right now? Can you tell if it has straightened back to be touching the silicone at all?
It looks about the same but I ended up filling it at its natural position with additional silicone… still will need to test the top seam once I get the overflow in there, I’ll take a closer look tomorrow ;)

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks about the same but I ended up filling it at its natural position with additional silicone… still will need to test the top seam once I get the overflow in there, I’ll take a closer look tomorrow ;)
That makes sense, not trying to beat a dead horse, just genuinely curious how it reacted to the water. I'm hoping to make my own plywood aquarium in the next year so trying to absorb as much information as possible. I know you'll get it figured out, and with the 4 inch seams of silicone around the outside of the panel I have a hard time imagining that fails (but I'm no engineer ).

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He better not, or I'll call the Tang Police! The tank is to small for 3 tangs! :D

1641091096963.png
Love that tang police pic! That’s been around a while. So far I have about 3600 gallons in there for the test until I install the overflow box then it will bring it up another 12-16”. I hope that’s enough for a few good tangs :p

Reefin Aint Easy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love that tang police pic! That’s been around a while. So far I have about 3600 gallons in there for the test until I install the overflow box then it will bring it up another 12-16”. I hope that’s enough for a few good tangs :p

Haha it may be enough. Beautiful build you're doing and can't wait to see the finished product.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think you are fine for 3 tangs based on size of aquarium, my concern is your current salinity level. ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back