Anderson Family Reef - Concrete Aquarium DIY 5K All The Way (Page 33)

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you could make it look like the Oregon Coast Aquarium display. I think they like the color Yellow.

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fine folks, I think I will try and put in a few tangs... Shhh just don't alert the Tang Police!! :p

I definitely won't tell the tang police. I am out of tang jail on probation and just participating in this conversation may land me back in lockup.;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please don't shoot the messenger :p ... this is only to test for leaks and have something to look at until the filtration gear is available from Aquarium Engineering... So fun to see fish interacting with the rock work... They will all go into a future pond build this spring... These guys are 10-12" Japanese Koi. They look small in there... Stoked!!

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks GREAT ! ! It's funny to see them follow you around the tank. They will be super bummed when you remove them from all that space ;)

Are you heating the water or can they handle the temps?

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This has got to be the most ambitious DIY build I have ever seen! Following your thread has been a lot of fun (and insightful). I can't wait to see what it looks like in a year or two!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks GREAT ! ! It's funny to see them follow you around the tank. They will be super bummed when you remove them from all that space ;)

Are you heating the water or can they handle the temps?
They are in cool water, Still waiting on my heat exchanger from AE…
This has got to be the most ambitious DIY build I have ever seen! Following your thread has been a lot of fun (and insightful). I can't wait to see what it looks like in a year or two!
Thank you!! So rewarding at each stage of the build! Crazy seeing fish in there even if they are KOI

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
19CD1D3E-1D27-4D53-9E49-7A7FC0B23819.jpeg
51539F03-4F4C-4F98-951C-C8BF2E278FFE.jpeg
611A5992-B37B-449C-8E5C-33DF86E40D2C.jpeg

Found some coral munchers in the 150 gal temp bin, moved the nem rocks to the 500 bin prepping for the day when I can tear down all the bins, move them out and build out the filtration for the big tank!

OP
OP
dca22anderson

dca22anderson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long does a 1k fill up take?
It took a few hours while I watched the NFL playoffs. I just used a 1/2" line that used to supply the fish room sink. I'm gearing up to have a 3/4" feed to the room.
Interesting, had the waste from the koi increased nutrients significantly in the system?
Koi are big dirty fish that eat and create a ton of waste. It's like a giant fish bowl at this point so I figured a water change would help.
Those things are poop machines but wouldn’t think much impact with something this big.
Agreed! I did the water change just to keep things looking crystal clear.
Insane build, love seeing this coming together!
Thanks! Super excited to fill it up to the active water height this weekend and see how the top seams do. As all goes well it's on to building out the filtration (as soon as I get the gear from Bill Wann, Aquarium Engineering). I know I wont be able to help myself so I will most likely turn it over using the 150 gallon rubbermaid tub I just cleaned out just to get it moving...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back