Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

CNDReef

Formally Toomanyfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have too many people in a apartment ( inlaws here visiting for a few months ) and it’s pretty cold still here in Boston. Can’t open the windows more than a few minutes before everyone is frozen lol.

J-Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre, back to my low ph question again....

I raised my alk back up to 9 dkh(using soda ash), which raised my ph back up to 8.1.....just tested my alk again this morning and it's at 8.9 dkh, yet my ph has once again dropped to 7.9. I'm not sure what is going on....do I need to keep my alk even higher (10-11 dkh range)?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre, back to my low ph question again....

I raised my alk back up to 9 dkh(using soda ash), which raised my ph back up to 8.1.....just tested my alk again this morning and it's at 8.9 dkh, yet my ph has once again dropped to 7.9. I'm not sure what is going on....do I need to keep my alk even higher (10-11 dkh range)?
Are you using a PH meter or Controller? If you use a Test kit, don't worry too much now. ALso, many tanks operate in the 7.9-8.0 range. A better picture you can only get via a PH probe.

Bacteria in certain media drop PH sometimes a lot like in Siporax or Bioblocks! A Deep Sand Bed can also drag the PH down. Tons of reasons for low PH, but mostly it's too much Co2 (mostly, not always). Alk I would not exceed 9 honestly for SPS on the long run!!!

J-Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using a PH meter or Controller? If you use a Test kit, don't worry too much now. ALso, many tanks operate in the 7.9-8.0 range. A better picture you can only get via a PH probe.

Bacteria in certain media drop PH sometimes a lot like in Siporax or Bioblocks! A Deep Sand Bed can also drag the PH down. Tons of reasons for low PH, but mostly it's too much Co2 (mostly, not always). Alk I would not exceed 9 honestly for SPS on the long run!!!

Yes, my temp and PH is monitored by my Apex....no deep sand bed. I only worry because prior to dosing the Biodigest, my tank was at a steady 8.1 PH.....after dosing bacteria along with the vodka, my ph steadily decreased to 7.9. I'm not sure if it will stay their or continue to drop, but I am concerned because I wanted to keep my system around 8.2-8.3. Is this an issue that will correct itself or will I need to do something to raise the ph myself?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ph down to 7.8 this morning :(......
Well your biology did a jump start and skipped a few weeks, so that means sooner or later you would have faced this issue anyways.
My tank goes down to 7.7/7.8 with no Co2 scrubbing. So in my case as soon the Co2 scrubber is connected and the PH goes up within minutes and hours, I kind of know for sure what causes the issue. Too much Co2! I did do Herbie overflows, smaller overflows, return line above water level in the sump and less surface movement to help to reduce the mix up of ambient air with the tank water. Chaeto algae can help as well.
To identify the issue, you simply can start to scrub just to see if Co2 is the real issue!!!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photosenthesis

Also, anyone with natural gas appliances inside their home has a better chance of low pH than those with all electric. Burning natural gas puts out a good amount of CO2.

Opening windows to let in fresh air also helps tremendously.
Concerning Gas appliances.......... Absolutely !!!
After the flood we are in the process of remodeling the kitchen.
I of course supported heavily the idea of an induction cooktop rather than the Gas stove ;-)

Even while Gas is likely less costly for cooking in our case, since my wife is an excellent and cooks with passion, I like the plan to ditch the Gas stove for the reason of emissions in the house!!!

Living in Houston with mostly about 400,000 degree Fahrenheit and 1200% humidity, the window thingy is a bad option, lol.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well your biology did a jump start and skipped a few weeks, so that means sooner or later you would have faced this issue anyways.
My tank goes down to 7.7/7.8 with no Co2 scrubbing. So in my case as soon the Co2 scrubber is connected and the PH goes up within minutes and hours, I kind of know for sure what causes the issue. Too much Co2! I did do Herbie overflows, smaller overflows, return line above water level in the sump and less surface movement to help to reduce the mix up of ambient air with the tank water. Chaeto algae can help as well.
To identify the issue, you simply can start to scrub just to see if Co2 is the real issue!!!
@J-Dog , actually there is one more thing that can increase PH !!! But only in case of acids in the water that drag down the PH, can happen in newer systems when bacteria and chemical processes unlock acids in liverock etc.
To get Acids out, simply use for not more than 2 days, fresh activated carbon in a reactor ideally and throw it away after 48 hours (carbon, not the reactor).
This is a rather an unlikely issue, but happen to me as well in the past.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you had all the walls down did you run an airline outside for the new tank? I ran mine to the attic and get about a .1 - .2 boost to pH.
Actually I did test it!!! I ran a 2" hose from the skimmer to the window, sealed it and were waiting.
Then I kept waiting and waiting.
So after that I did wait some more time and tested Co2 with a meter.
Inside and outside was about 600ppm with not much difference.
Also I do have this mosquito poison truck passing by the house in the summer twice a week.
So I was always skeptical to do this.

I tried it before and here in Houston I don't think the outside Co2 levels are as good as in other states or cities.
At the end I connected my Scrubber again ;-)

J-Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@J-Dog , actually there is one more thing that can increase PH !!! But only in case of acids in the water that drag down the PH, can happen in newer systems when bacteria and chemical processes unlock acids in liverock etc.
To get Acids out, simply use for not more than 2 days, fresh activated carbon in a reactor ideally and throw it away after 48 hours (carbon, not the reactor).
This is a rather an unlikely issue, but happen to me as well in the past.

I will try the carbon and see if it helps. If not, I will try running an airline outside and connect it to my skimmer. Maybe the fresh air will help

YumaMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, you're a fellow Houstonian! Harvey made a mess of things all around me but our house was spared. Your story is a dramatic recovery considering what you have been through. Thanks for posting these videos!

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way @dragon99 ........ do you have an ICP test result from your tank?
Last test I did was from ICP-analysis.com which I'm still don't 100% trust. My last Triton was in Dec.

Attachments

• Tank Report 4-4-2018 12_15_48 PM.pdf
    78.9 KB · Views: 204
  • Triton 12-2017 .pdf
    119.2 KB · Views: 232
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh me, oh my!! Holy smokes they've come along GORGEOUSLY :D some stunners in there mate!!
Dude, just saw this ;-)

THX a lot. Yep , there are some real nice ones in.
Few more pictures coming soon of some other real nice ones................................
Just not that big buddy with my Cam yet!

J-Dog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre, here's an update.....

My ph problem was due to a bad probe, so once that was resolved, my current ph is running about 8.15 (I'd still like to get it a bit higher).
My issue now is that I can't keep my phosphates up. My nitrates have also consistently dropped and I am now down to 1ppm, with my phosphates at 0. I am dosing Phyto Feast nightly trying to bring it up, but the highest I've got my Hannah Phosphorus checker is 8ppb an hour after dosing.....the next day I get a reading of 0. I am up to 10ml of Phyto nightly, which seems like a lot....sometimes I even get a reading of 0ppb an hour after dosing (which amazes me, since I should always get a reading after dosing this stuff). I've turned my skimmer completely off 24/7, trying to keep the nutrients in the tank, so I am stumped on what else to do from here. My system is about 250 gallons total with 2 medium size fish and a small CUC. I also put a few tester frags in yesterday to see how they do. Let me know if u have any advice that may help. Thanks again!

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, just saw this ;-)

THX a lot. Yep , there are some real nice ones in.
Few more pictures coming soon of some other real nice ones................................
Just not that big buddy with my Cam yet!
Don't you hold back on those pictures!! haha I've been seriously impressed with just how well the progression of the tank has been too man, you should be proud :) Now just put that effort into the big boy camera :rolleyes: haha

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back