Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, overall its a robust and very aggressive coral! Typically it killed all neighbors when they touched each other.

b5a86cabd221c2b0f3cdeabae61bc6c0.jpg

There’s mine. Top down. It’s got some space around it. Mostly encrusting for several months

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is Carx?
Short for Calcium Reactor ;-)

Can’t wait till mine gets this big
That is a very nice looking corals when they got big. And they can get really really large pretty fast.

What did you do to go to R2R jail?
Long story short, I did sell unlimited coral frags without being a vendor and together with an unfortunate sequence of events, it led the Admins to ban some of my rights for a while ;-)
All good now, it's just some forum rules are pretty tight and I had issues with compliance to those.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As above, go super careful with the dip, most smooth skins hate dips IME.
All good, Coral seems to make it! Did not have seen any concerning hitchhiker in the containers. Coral is in the tank now and hopefully it will color up pretty quick.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you dose Nitrates successfully without turning your tank into a cyanobacteria factory? My 240 gallon is 8 months old and anytime I try to raise the nutrients my tank just looks like hell.
Well, this simple question you can answer with a book, lol.

Short version is to tackle Cyano in my case is to ideally identify the species you are dealing with first. Depending on the species the cause of correction can vary quite a lot.

I did the blackout along with Biodigest and some carbon for 48 hours and it did hit the cyano pretty hard so the good bacteria were able to compete them out and are keeping cyano in check. Also I did not do any cyano fueling aminos at that time. In addition I follow the Redfield ratio that helps too, to keep a well functioning biology as you can see. I do see cyano coming slightly back if a nutrient drops to really low levels.

But it's not an easy thing for sure.
I try to avoid Chemiclean as long as possible and try other things first.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly may have some of the same ones. Likely be acquiring a couple more from some locals who have some of your old ones as well.
Sounds good! I have so far everything back together I wanted, however there is one piece I'm desperately looking for which is the "PSX's Lady in Pink", which is a blue tenuis SPS. Would love to find someone who has a frag of it !!!! Keep an eye open if you have a chance.

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear you lost that one, it was a looker for sure
I know the barn where I got the colony from sells frags from sister colonies, but do not want to spend $400 for a frag :-(

So if anyone in Houston has a piece of the PSX's Lady in pink" let me know, I'm in for trades ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough one……… FTS in full daylight.
That's where a Reefer can proof his color variation on his SPS
1f609.png
;-)

Great variation on SPS and tank is progressing good for 6 months now! It's going to be a nice Aqua Forest.

Trace Elements are doing a fine job here.
No Water changes is the final goal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this is the Ice Fire Echinata after a few days.
It survived the dipping, and I kept it on the frag rack for two days and mounted it into a medium flow spot with average light.
Will see how this IFE will do from now on. Hoping for the best.

I thought to record this picture here for future reference and comparison.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet jesus man!! That FTS is full on and I love it!! :D Tank is looking so nice and it still impresses me how well you've managed the tank to get so full blown with the sps so quickly! Takes a keen eye to manage it that well!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet jesus man!! That FTS is full on and I love it!! :D Tank is looking so nice and it still impresses me how well you've managed the tank to get so full blown with the sps so quickly! Takes a keen eye to manage it that well!
THX Wrangy. Do the best I can ;-)

Unfortunately I did not have the time to report all the miserable things while bringing this tank up in more detail.
Was not always that smooth as it appears, lol.
RTN/STN in the beginning, Monti eating nudi battle, Cyano and and Bryopsis treatments...... just to name of few of those undesired things that can happen in a Reeftanks life, lol.

Next big things are being the relocation of the tank in a few weeks and then I can start building a nice Furniture for this baby ;-)

While doing a lot of repairs on the house by myself I got a good arsenal on tools now that were needed to build window sills, built in cabinets, flooring, doors, windows etc. , I will make this furniture great as the tank looks.......can't wait for that!
Right now it's a crappy looking metal stand enclosed with tarp still.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tough one……… FTS in full daylight.
That's where a Reefer can proof his color variation on his SPS
1f609.png
;-)

Great variation on SPS and tank is progressing good for 6 months now! It's going to be a nice Aqua Forest.

Trace Elements are doing a fine job here.
No Water changes is the final goal.

This is one of the many reasons I love your tank, normal colours, I have my camera set to hate blues or actinics. ;)
I will admit to doing a 60% water change at the end of last September after an extended power cut, had a lot of casualties.
I am also no waterchanges, ... unless required for some reason! :)

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So this is the Ice Fire Echinata after a few days.
It survived the dipping, and I kept it on the frag rack for two days and mounted it into a medium flow spot with average light.
Will see how this IFE will do from now on. Hoping for the best.

I thought to record this picture here for future reference and comparison.

Looks fine, fingers crossed. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back