Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of the many reasons I love your tank, normal colours, I have my camera set to hate blues or actinics. ;)
I will admit to doing a 60% water change at the end of last September after an extended power cut, had a lot of casualties.
I am also no waterchanges, ... unless required for some reason! :)

THX ;-)

Trying to be as actual as possible with the FTS.
This is intended to be a benchmark for me too for future pictures.

Doesn't help to oversaturate pictures like it seems to be the big trend right now.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

THX ;-)

Trying to be as actual as possible with the FTS.
This is intended to be a benchmark for me too for future pictures.

Doesn't help to oversaturate pictures like it seems to be the big trend right now.

My whatever you call it, post pic / avatar is my rainbow trachy at max lights, 8 T5s and about 75 watts LED on it's max cycle! ;)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUBIDIUM dosing ;-)

Who else is doing it ???

A few days back, I started to supplement Rubidium.
Looking at all the good costly trace element complex products out there, I noticed Rb is always part of it..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Prior the flood last year it caught my attention and I did use a Trace element complex from KZ on my previous tank with insane great results.
However with my new 300DD Reef tank I further enhanced the Trace elements management and my goal is no water changes and just keep a monthly/bimonthly ICP test and do my corrections of whatever appears is needed.
Hence I dose all the individual elements now.

Anyways, since the tank is going now into the age of 6 months and is SPS loaded, I notice that it's the time where certain trace elements are needed since they deplete, just a matter of fact.

Element by Element I do see the positive/negative effect of certain elements to keep the corals glowing in fluorescence!

One of those very effective elements that support fluorescence seems to be Rubidium.
ATI doesn't and won't test for it unfortunately.
Looking back at my ICP-Analysis.com, they do but this lab doesn't have a good reputation. Anyways the Rb was undetectable a few months back.
So I did start dosing it to bring it up to 0.2ppm according to the math and I maintain a daily dose of 0.01ppm now.
In a few weeks I will do another test and see how the trend of Rb will change.

So far, it seems to help and support the glow effect of many SPS.
Fluorescence definitely increased.

Anyone else dosing Rubidium?
A variety of different Trace Elements you will find on the web if you google "Rubidium for Reef Tanks".

Let me know your thoughts and experience since this is for the most part an unpopular element to dose and people who can share information on this is hard to find.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUBIDIUM dosing ;-)

Who else is doing it ???

Looking at all the good costly trace element complex products out there, I noticed Rb is always part of it..........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Prior the flood last year it caught my attention and I did use a Trace element complex from KZ on my previous tank with insane great results.
However with my new 300DD Reef tank I further enhanced the Trace elements management and my goal is no water changes and just keep a monthly/bimonthly ICP test and do my corrections of whatever appears is needed.

Anyways, since the tank is going now into the age of 6 months and is SPS loaded, I notice that it's the time where certain trace elements are needed since they deplete, just a matter of fact.

Element by Element I do see the positive/negative effect of certain elements to keep the corals glowing in fluorescence!

One of those very effective elements that support fluorescence seems to be Rubidium.
Looking back at my ICP-Analysis.com, they do but this lab doesn't have a good reputation. Anyways the Rb was undetectable a few months back.
So I did start dosing it to bring it up to 0.2ppm according to the math and I maintain a daily dose of 0.01ppm now.

A variety of different Trace Elements you will find on the web if you google "Rubidium for Reef Tanks".

Let me know your thoughts and experience since this is for the most part an unpopular element to dose and people who can share information on this is hard to find.

I dont see anything on rubidium for reef tanks when I search those words, except for your site selling rubidium for reef tanks? I dont remember ever reading an article on it, do you have any reef articles or forum thread discussions on it?

Manganese is the only thing I have noticed that affects the flouescense of sps coral for me. I have read that iodine and fluorine help somewhat but I haven't seen it personally.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see anything on rubidium for reef tanks when I search those words, except for your site selling rubidium for reef tanks? I dont remember ever reading an article on it, do you have any reef articles or forum thread discussions on it?

Manganese is the only thing I have noticed that affects the flouescense of sps coral for me. I have read that iodine and fluorine help somewhat but I haven't seen it personally.
Well, I find a lot of products, here are some examples of the well known ones:

Fauna Marin TRACE 1
Potassium, Strontium, Boron, Selenium, Rubidium, Vanadium

Korallenzucht Coral System -1
Nickel, Manganese, Fluorine, Sodium, Rubidium, Zinc, Vanadium

Aquavitro Fuel - contains Rubidium in higher amounts

ATI Essentials #3 is a liquid concentrate that contains magnesium and other essential trace elements. These include mainly (among others): boron, bromine, cobalt, chromium, fluorine, iron, iodine, potassium, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, rubidium, sulphur, strontium, vanadium, and zinc.

In general, I noticed the following trace elements to support fluorescence or at least negatively affect fluorescence when depleted to the lower limits, which does not mean this list is complete:
Zinc, Nickel, Barium, Fluoride, Iodine, Bromine

Rubidium seems to be as well to inhibit fluorescence and coloration when depleted, but that's why I asked the community if there are more people out here doing a similar exercise.
Looking for any feedback from you guys !!!

Problem and suspicious is that all the big companies put Rubidium into their products for coloration enhancement!?!?!? ??? :confused: No one tests for it!!!
There is a new Laboratory for ICP tests located in Austria, which is planning to approach the US market maybe this fall. A company called OCEAMO which also tests for Rubidium as part of their analysis in a quite good resolution and in the lower ranges, perfect for our purpose.
https://www.oceamo.com/labor

I hope they introduce themselves shortly so I can test these guys, looks very promising.
Talking to ATI, they confirmed that they won't add Rb to their testing setup.
The only other test option I know is ICP-analysis.com but they do test all minor elements in ppm and not in ppb o_O

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very impressive tank!
Thank you!
Shortly I will do hopefully some overall equipment shots as the tank is as of today.
Also doing some random pictures of whats going on inside and will share some pictures for progress history ;-)
Maybe a short Video of the tank maybe………..

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I find a lot of products, here are some examples of the well known ones:

Fauna Marin TRACE 1
Potassium, Strontium, Boron, Selenium, Rubidium, Vanadium

Korallenzucht Coral System -1
Nickel, Manganese, Fluorine, Sodium, Rubidium, Zinc, Vanadium

Aquavitro Fuel - contains Rubidium in higher amounts

ATI Essentials #3 is a liquid concentrate that contains magnesium and other essential trace elements. These include mainly (among others): boron, bromine, cobalt, chromium, fluorine, iron, iodine, potassium, lithium, manganese, molybdenum, nickel, rubidium, sulphur, strontium, vanadium, and zinc.

In general, I noticed the following trace elements to support fluorescence or at least negatively affect fluorescence when depleted to the lower limits, which does not mean this list is complete:
Zinc, Nickel, Barium, Fluoride, Iodine, Bromine

Rubidium seems to be as well to inhibit fluorescence and coloration when depleted, but that's why I asked the community if there are more people out here doing a similar exercise.
Looking for any feedback from you guys !!!

Problem and suspicious is that all the big companies put Rubidium into their products for coloration enhancement!?!?!? ??? :confused: No one tests for it!!!
There is a new Laboratory for ICP tests located in Austria, which is planning to approach the US market maybe this fall. A company called OCEAMO which also tests for Rubidium as part of their analysis in a quite good resolution and in the lower ranges, perfect for our purpose.
https://www.oceamo.com/labor

I hope they introduce themselves shortly so I can test these guys, looks very promising.
Talking to ATI, they confirmed that they won't add Rb to their testing setup.
The only other test option I know is ICP-analysis.com but they do test all minor elements in ppm and not in ppb o_O

@Pedoconfuego
Hey, found another one. Trace Elements are the big trend now apparently, lol.

Saw this article on Reef Builders and they talk about this new Trace complex which also claims to have elements in the correct ionic ratio to calcium consumption:
AquaLife Reef Trace Elements GC
includes these elements: Boron, Cobalt, Copper, Manganese, Molybdenum, Nickel, Potassium, Rubidium, Strontium, and Zinc.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is another example of the importance of some minor trace elements.
The above picture I made of one of my SPS I brought over from the previous tank it is a coral that typically does not need a lot of light hence was always in the lower sections of the tank.
However, it grows usually very thinny and delicate until I started the enhanced trace element management.
So this picture is from the beginning of the tank when I got my first ICP tests back.

In this picture I have the same SPS at the same spot but 2 weeks later after I dosed Barium and Fluoride.
Fluoride and Barium had significant effect on the growth pattern as well the blue intense coloration from that point on.
Usually this SPS was always bluish but less intense. Fluoride I never tested on the previous tank !!!

This picture shows the coral a few weeks later end of march.
You can see clearly the much thicker branching starts to appear.

This is another six weeks later mid of may.
Now the thicker branching and different growth pattern is clearly to see on the entire coral.
Overall the coral also appear to grow much faster as before.
And looks much better than ever before ;-)

MoKan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is another example of the importance of some minor trace elements.
The above picture I made of one of my SPS I brought over from the previous tank it is a coral that typically does not need a lot of light hence was always in the lower sections of the tank.
However, it grows usually very thinny and delicate until I started the enhanced trace element management.
So this picture is from the beginning of the tank when I got my first ICP tests back.

In this picture I have the same SPS at the same spot but 2 weeks later after I dosed Barium and Fluoride.
Fluoride and Barium had significant effect on the growth pattern as well the blue intense coloration from that point on.
Usually this SPS was always bluish but less intense. Fluoride I never tested on the previous tank !!!

This picture shows the coral a few weeks later end of march.
You can see clearly the much thicker branching starts to appear.

This is another six weeks later mid of may.
Now the thicker branching and different growth pattern is clearly to see on the entire coral.
Overall the coral also appear to grow much faster as before.
And looks much better than ever before ;-)
That's very interesting. I'm definitely going to have to do some more research into the chemistry side of things. Learning new things every day. Definitely continue as you have time because I'm all for learning the newer chemistry and what's working for others

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's very interesting. I'm definitely going to have to do some more research into the chemistry side of things. Learning new things every day. Definitely continue as you have time because I'm all for learning the newer chemistry and what's working for others
Will do for sure ;-)

Just keep in mind, these things will only work with minor traces, when the Big-3 or better the Big-5 are in good shape !!!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an update I posted in a Grow out contest in the Battle Corals Forum:
Just look at the growth of the frag itself but also the coral in the back behind it, lol.
ARC Master Yoda getting really big, really fast.

Today's status after 4 months
Only issue for me is the height measurement, lol.
My frag is not shrinking, but the encrusting on the plug is getting thicker so I'm loosing my reference point.

Anyways, growing obviously great from this plain stick !!!!

History:

May 15

April 14

March 15

Februar 15 - for comparison, fresh from Battlecorals, still slimy ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RUBIDIUM dosing ;-)

Who else is doing it ???

Back to Rubidium dosing, I'm still doing my daily Rb dosage and everyone in the tank loves it so far.
Fortunately and I'm really thankful for that, I was able to get in touch with the Oceamo lab in Austria and they do send me a Test kit so I can have Rubidium being accurately tested hopefully shortly ;Happy
Really looking forward to test for this Element.

Special thanks at this point to ;Doctor @Christoph

Christoph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to Rubidium dosing, I'm still doing my daily Rb dosage and everyone in the tank loves it so far.
Fortunately and I'm really thankful for that, I was able to get in touch with the Oceamo lab in Austria and they do send me a Test kit so I can have Rubidium being accurately tested hopefully shortly ;Happy
Really looking forward to test for this Element.

Special thanks at this point to ;Doctor @Christoph

Beutiful tank, and really fantastic results you re achieving with trace element dosing! - Highly impressive!

Our pleasure to help out with Rubidium ICP-OES measurement here. Interestingly, Rubidium does not have a (yet) known biological function, but we also believe that a natural level of Rubidium is beneficial for coral growth and coloration. We are looking forward to your experiences! Because rubidium is among the more expensive elements it is sometimes low concentration in commercial salt mixes.

All the best,
Christoph / oceamo.com

Bugsy_Barboza

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, it took me all day but I ran (probably walked) through the whole process today, all 34 pages. My last tank had a leak and I sold off everything. Couple years later new one up and running. Started with dry rock this time, been just letting it run with about 12 fish in there just letting it mature. Figured id wait a year or so until I added any corals, you got me curious to use biogest and go for it. Ive been running around 4 months now. I'll start slow but think ill go for it, and just stay on top of testing..... beautiful tank and lots of knowledge in this article. Glad you're out of R2R jail.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back