Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow... just spent all day reading though this whole thing... my head is spinning! Awesome build and amazing results that I hope to achieve! What part of Houston are you in? I'm in Katy and this past weekend had the honor to meet @Diesel .... would love to see this tank in person!
THX a lot. Hope you found plenty of useful stuff ;-)

I'm in Cypress. Maybe 30-45 mins away from Katy.
Very likely you will see this tank in person one day.
Good luck on your adventure!!!

-Andre

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of my Reefing buddies which I helped a lot on his tank was in town today and wants to bring me "a new improved filtersock" today to get better water clarity.

Well, thx a lot Ron ;-)
That is some sort of an "improved filtersock" :D

Did assemble the LEGO kit right away and installed it yesterday on one of the two return lines.
Will see how it works out, I definitely do not want to go back to traditional filtersocks !!!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of flow is needed for it to work properly? I was interested in the roller mat that BRS sells but it can only have 600 gph through it.
I looked into other Rollermat systems before but did not get really convinced but liked the new DD ClariSea which I put on my wishlist recently.

Ok, the Vario S8 has about 1500GPH estimated at 100% with the pressure losses due to the lines etc. in my System. Considering the 2 overflows take 50% of it each, I run approx. 750GPH through this SK-5000 ClariSea model. The SK-5000 is rated for 1350GPH.
So, running it at it's 50% capacity is performs very well!
If you look inside it basically performs as any 7"x16" Filtersock.
From yesterday evening until this morning it rolled about 2" and my water is pretty dirty hence this thing came just in time.
I try to see how long a 25M (~990") roll will last ;-)

So far running it on 1 out of 2 overflows will not overclean the system.
If it can handle the entire tank system with pristine Water, I don't know yet.
Right now detritus accumulates pretty bad due to the feeding and this is in addition to the Skimmer, my only way to export mechanically any biological waste.
Will see if the tank looks cleaner this evening, lol.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked into other Rollermat systems before but did not get really convinced but liked the new DD ClariSea which I put on my wishlist recently.

Ok, the Vario S8 has about 1500GPH estimated at 100% with the pressure losses due to the lines etc. in my System. Considering the 2 overflows take 50% of it each, I run approx. 750GPH through this SK-5000 ClariSea model. The SK-5000 is rated for 1350GPH.
So, running it at it's 50% capacity is performs very well!
If you look inside it basically performs as any 7"x16" Filtersock.
From yesterday evening until this morning it rolled about 2" and my water is pretty dirty hence this thing came just in time.
I try to see how long a 25M (~990") roll will last ;-)

So far running it on 1 out of 2 overflows will not overclean the system.
If it can handle the entire tank system with pristine Water, I don't know yet.
Right now detritus accumulates pretty bad due to the feeding and this is in addition to the Skimmer, my only way to export mechanically any biological waste.
Will see if the tank looks cleaner this evening, lol.
If it moves up to 33" per day, then it would theoretically last one month.
Too early to say, but I assume it will roll about 10-15" per day.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know the cost of the roll?
The replacement roll is $29 at the moment.
Compared to my socks washing and replacement procedure in the past a good deal if a roll lasts 2 months, everything longer is even better.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ClariSea advanced sock came too late, lol.

This pink Birdsnest which I have since many years did again suffered a significant infection all of a sudden.
This started Sunday morning. Fortunately I caught it pretty early in the morning while I had a few guys coming over picking up some frags. I thought I have time until the afternoon for fragging some pieces off, and it progressed so fast that I decided to cut off plenty of healthy pieces for a patchwork colony 2 hours later.

One thing is that prior the sock I thought already the last few weeks after feeding the tank again routinely every other day that the tank became too dirty with too much debris and detritus.

With a bare glass bottom tank, the debris can't really decompose on the glass and I did not have a mechanical filter in the tank system. Hence every time I had my wave maker doing their "Blast mode" occasionally, all the debris got blasted around including pathogenic bacteria that by nature live mostly in the sand or floor.
So the ClariSea unit came on time somewhat but too late for this guy.

I did frag a lot of material off and it did as per this morning not show any signs of infected frags.
Will have a pictures posted some time shortly showing the rescued pieces and how I'm going to assemble a decent sized colony out of all these ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the ClariSea unit.

First rule, this thing can't handle sand and larger debris ;-)
Really only to filter out what comes through the water column.

Clarity increased dramatically !!!!!
Really very satisfied with the performance.
I have it installed on one of my 2 returns so still enough food particle floating around the tank.
Overall the coloration and appearance of the SPS is much better in a clear tank, so I will see how this is turning out on the long run and if 1 Clarisea will be sufficient.
I play with the thought to install a second unit for the other overflow.
In theory it could handle the flow of both returns, but I may then run too clean.
That is likely an option when the system is grown out more dense.

Good water quality is important for healthy SPS, they don't like the soup too dirty ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by it can't handle larger debris? Is it clogging?
I was trying to siphon out some detritus from the glass and dang it, some smaller rock debris made it through too.
There are rolls in the bottom that route the fleece, and if small rocks or solid debris makes it through the drain line into the unit, will likely cause issues with the Rollermat systems.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back