Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update on the ClariSea SK-5000 Rollermat filter......

Unit got stuck which turned out to be partially my mistake.
So got it removed quick and partial disassembled to make it work again.

One thing I did not like honestly is the fact that the new Roll got pretty wet, and the inner paper roll is so wet from absorbing the water spray in the chamber, that it may cause operational issues on the long run since the paper wears off while the roll turns.

Unit back in operation.................
Will see how it's turning out.
I would definitely recommend D-D to put a water resistant inner layer on the unit to avoid the wear off the paper material........

xaflatoonx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre - i have a question.

The white filter sock container in which your drain comes into - where did you get that?
was it custom?

i am thikning i can get something like that made for a refugium and put it on the opposite side for the water to flow into the return section.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre - i have a question.

The white filter sock container in which your drain comes into - where did you get that?
was it custom?

i am thikning i can get something like that made for a refugium and put it on the opposite side for the water to flow into the return section.
I had to made this custom sock holder made from an acrylic sump builder.
It allows 3 drains to come in submerged and let it flow into 2 large socks.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and the water flowing into the skimmer section - does that make a lot of sound?
Not at all. The Overflow yes in case of emergency !!! So I can hear it.
I have a 2 inch U-Pipe between the the white sump and the regular sump to level the water. It does not loose siphon in case the power fails ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of my Reefing buddies which I helped a lot on his tank was in town today and wants to bring me "a new improved filtersock" today to get better water clarity.

Well, thx a lot Ron ;-)
That is some sort of an "improved filtersock" :D

Did assemble the LEGO kit right away and installed it yesterday on one of the two return lines.
Will see how it works out, I definitely do not want to go back to traditional filtersocks !!!
Sooooooooooooooooo……. running out of filter fleece shortly!!!!!!
Almost one month.
Well, it could have lasted longer but last week I connected both overflows to the Clarisea unit.
From that point on the water became even more clear, but the unit runs more!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we get a video of this thing in action please?
Great question !!!!!! I'm in the process of removing it from the system, since the Clarisea will replace the entire white pre-sump section now.
Anyways I try to make a quick video of it how it works generally.
The issues was, that this sock holder compartment holds 2x 7" x16 socks. Not enough for my 300G system.
I was constantly changing/washing the socks recently.

Was Ok for the 210, but probably good only for 150-180G Aquaforests ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the Clarisea unit..............
The Kids like to call it the "Fully automatic toilet paper dispenser" :D

Did receive my new fleece roll yesterday, just in time for replacement.
Was very happy to see the replacement rolls seem to be bigger as the roll that comes with the unit, so I'm looking forward how long it will last, considering I have both overflows connected to it.

Overall the performance I'm happy with! Unit works great, but.......
It's a pain in the bun to replace the roll!
No way to install the roll as shown in the manufacturers videos and I do already have a reasonable amount of space underneath the tank.
I ended up taking the unit out of the sump to put the new fleece in.
Stapling of the new roll to the old remaining fleece I did, but the connection you have to pull through the filter did rip apart since the staples do not easily pass the routing bars in the bottom if not 100% straight stapled which is almost impossible to do.

However it is good to take the unit out monthly to clean out the main drain pipe in the bottom of the unit due to algae and other stuff clogging the grid in the pipe down there.
SO I recommend only to use this type of units if you have enough space and an installation, that allows to remove the unit from the sump without taking apart a lot of things to get access to it.

It took me like 15 minutes to take out the unit, clean the pipe and put the fleece in. The Clarisea in my case is hanging on the side of the sump and the drains are connected via a 1"ID silicone hose, basically slip on connection to the unit's drain connection. Rigid piping connections I would not use here. Maybe a Union would do the job, but they become a pain as well to be disconnected every few weeks on the long run due to calcium build up etc.
Another disadvantage I ran into was you have to take the motorized roll apart to get the used fleece off the roll. So disconnect the motor, take the roll out to the trash bin outside and remove the old fleece like a toilet paper roll ;-)

Another issue is, that if you have Dursos, all the air bubbles pop in the unit and cause splashing on the surface, which makes the fleece wet causing the unit to fail in operation since the inner paper roll carrier out of paper, will get wet and cause the unit to get stuck simply because the roll will stop rolling off the fresh fleece roll.

When I tied both drains together, the restrictions in the hoses caused that the Dursos now acting as a Herby overflow, so no air bubbles going into the clarisea unit now. Fortunately I have the original tank return lines designed to be emergency overflows, so 1 emergency overflow is taking care of the excessive water (not much and no noise), while the second emergency overflow still is a true emergency overflow for just in case.
If a fish snail or something gets into the main drain lines, they will definitely cause clogging the system as it is used right now. You have to have emergency provisions for overflow! I will preventively add an additional float switch that will prevent the return pump from operation when the system reaches a certain low level in the sump.

So If I would have the choice between socks and buying this unit, I still would buy the Clarisea unit, and would take the disadvantages I experienced so far into account.
That may change, if the unit also would now making more trouble which it does not do yet, but you never know what the quality of the motor really is. Parts and pieces out of acrylic seem to be not the cheapest ones. Time will tell.

-Andre

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back