Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds interesting and may be a very good solution since I believe the Chloride levels are killing the bugs and since Chloride is effective against almost all Protozoa, this may be a cheap SUPERDIP at least against those.

So tell me, 1000ppm best guess, but I need to know exactly what Product was used to identify what Potassium Chloride is used to calculate the Chloride levels, sort of reverse engineering a Chloride dip ;-)

Also tell me how you prepared this dip and for how long the corals were dipped in the solution.

THX
Why do believe chloride is doing the work here? Chloride is the most common element in seawater. Using potassium chloride as a dip (with a target of ~1600ppm K) would raise the chloride level ~2%, while it raises the potassium level by ~400%. My bet is on the potassium since the chloride change is almost inconsequential.

When I dipped acro's in potassium chloride I used brightwell's Potassion-P targeting 1600ppm for potassium. This resulted in dead AEFW within minutes. I left the acros in the dip for ~30min. They have since recovered nicely.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I had yesterday evening a Coral Spawning event...... awesome ;-)

Will post some pictures shortly of the eggs me and my daughter were able to catch and placed under the microsope ;-)
That's too cool! I'd love to see coral spawning in a home reef. Super jealous.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Voila,........ Avast Marine Vibe 6L

I did add 2,5L Zeolith already, will add 1-2L more in a few days, depending on the PO4 results!!!

So let me try and understand this. You are not going to replace the zeolites monthly. It will serve as lowering nitrates and po4 upto a point an dthen stabilize over time . not completely 0 but somewhere between 0.01 - 0.05 ppm for PO4 and below 5 for nitrates.

Will you be dosing zeobak , zeostart and zeofood7 as zeovit recommends ?

How about some of the other stuffs like PIF (potassium iodide fluoride), A balance, B Balance , K balance and some foods like Coral vitalizer and Pohl's Extra ?

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do believe chloride is doing the work here? Chloride is the most common element in seawater. Using potassium chloride as a dip (with a target of ~1600ppm K) would raise the chloride level ~2%, while it raises the potassium level by ~400%. My bet is on the potassium since the chloride change is almost inconsequential.

When I dipped acro's in potassium chloride I used brightwell's Potassion-P targeting 1600ppm for potassium. This resulted in dead AEFW within minutes. I left the acros in the dip for ~30min. They have since recovered nicely.
Looking at the Mol weights and mix of Potassion-P just as an example which is a mix of Potassium Chloride and Sulfate, assuming it's mixed 50/50 then a dip of 4x times Potassium increase the assumption will be that Chloride is 2x of normal seawater just by rough looking at it. Then the fact that the dip is made out of tankwater which has already normal Chloride levels the water means the dip would expose the animals and corals to double the chlorine levels of NSW which most microorganism are very sensible to ;-)
So it may have to do with Chlorine rather then with the potassium. However I never heard about this before and find it very interesting that it kills AEFW !!!
Thanks for sharing, learned something new ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let me try and understand this. You are not going to replace the zeolites monthly. It will serve as lowering nitrates and po4 upto a point an dthen stabilize over time . not completely 0 but somewhere between 0.01 - 0.05 ppm for PO4 and below 5 for nitrates.

Will you be dosing zeobak , zeostart and zeofood7 as zeovit recommends ?

How about some of the other stuffs like PIF (potassium iodide fluoride), A balance, B Balance , K balance and some foods like Coral vitalizer and Pohl's Extra ?

Regards,
Abhishek
If you follow my thread you will see that I do dose a very strict regimen of correction dosages once a month after ICP results arrive.
So the Halogens such as Iodide and Fluoride I manage already which tackles the PIF depletion nicely ;-)
Iodide is done basically with daily drops of Potassium Iodide and Fluoride is corrected monthly and I keep levels high enough to avoid low levels.
K Balance is Potassium, I correct it monthly back to 410, doesn't drop much.
B Balance is Boron, I correct this to 7 monthly, it doesnt' drop much within this time.
A Balance seem to be oxidizer and maybe some traces, I manage all traces and the biology via Biodigest, Zeostart and Zeobak.
Pohls extra seem to be a mix of Nutrients, I do via Sodium Nitrate and Po4 if required.
Coral Vitalizer I have a bottle at home but haven't used it yet, but Selcon classic seem to be a similar product with Omega 3 fatty acids ;-) I do this like 4 drops for each 100G system water every night.
Zeo food I do not use, unsure if I should try it, I will wait what the reactor does achieve, I may add 1ml Vodka per day to the dosing regime, but too early to say.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you follow my thread you will see that I do dose a very strict regimen of correction dosages once a month after ICP results arrive.
So the Halogens such as Iodide and Fluoride I manage already which tackles the PIF depletion nicely ;-)
Iodide is done basically with daily drops of Potassium Iodide and Fluoride is corrected monthly and I keep levels high enough to avoid low levels.
K Balance is Potassium, I correct it monthly back to 410, doesn't drop much.
B Balance is Boron, I correct this to 7 monthly, it doesnt' drop much within this time.
A Balance seem to be oxidizer and maybe some traces, I manage all traces and the biology via Biodigest, Zeostart and Zeobak.
Pohls extra seem to be a mix of Nutrients, I do via Sodium Nitrate and Po4 if required.
Coral Vitalizer I have a bottle at home but haven't used it yet, but Selcon classic seem to be a similar product with Omega 3 fatty acids ;-) I do this like 4 drops for each 100G system water every night.
Zeo food I do not use, unsure if I should try it, I will wait what the reactor does achieve, I may add 1ml Vodka per day to the dosing regime, but too early to say.

You are probably the first person who could explain all the blue bottles in layman terms to me ! Appreciate it ..
I love your scientific approach to justification of trace elements through periodic ICP testing rather than dosing on the blind !
May be I shall try and follow your approach for my new build because it makes so much more sense to me and bounce off ideas with you .

On a side note - have you looked or tried KZ coral elements that are meant to add trace elements and amino acids for non zeovit system. A couple of my german friends seem to vouch for them but there's hardly any reviews in North America or people using them .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are probably the first person who could explain all the blue bottles in layman terms to me ! Appreciate it ..
I love your scientific approach to justification of trace elements through periodic ICP testing rather than dosing on the blind !
May be I shall try and follow your approach for my new build because it makes so much more sense to me and bounce off ideas with you .

On a side note - have you looked or tried KZ coral elements that are meant to add trace elements and amino acids for non zeovit system. A couple of my german friends seem to vouch for them but there's hardly any reviews in North America or people using them .

Regards,
Abhishek
Yes, I tried the KZ Coral System 4 part system with great results in my previous tank, that actually led me to the approach of controlled trace element dosing rather than combination solutions, which did not allow individual traces to pimp to my desired levels ;-)
On the other hand it became too costly for my taste on the longer run.
I run a Facebook group where we in a small group all doing the same systematic of Trace elements dosing and a few folks that were almost done with the hobby are enjoying their tanks now and even started to build frag system to manage the growing SPS ;-)
The feedback and experience is generally that an individual trace element dosing seems really to be extremely effective on color and growth and takes a lot of trouble out of the hobby and makes reefing easier while not chasing numbers as some still do see it that way.

Amino acids I always run into trouble with bacteria count increase, so I hope the Zeoreactor will bring down my nutrients without too much bacteria in the tank and hence no more issues with some pathogenic bacteria.
As soon my Po4 is down, I will try out Amino and Vitamins again to see if it does anything for me.

marvelousone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do biodigest and zeostart. Leave the zeolites out. I started zeovit 3 years ago and I got a bad brown slime. After following you and doing things you post I got rid of it. Tank was the best it had every been. I started zeolite,zeobak and zeostart the slime starting to come back. I took out the zeolite and only doing what I have been doing for the last 3 months with bio digest.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I do biodigest and zeostart. Leave the zeolites out. I started zeovit 3 years ago and I got a bad brown slime. After following you and doing things you post I got rid of it. Tank was the best it had every been. I started zeolite,zeobak and zeostart the slime starting to come back. I took out the zeolite and only doing what I have been doing for the last 3 months with bio digest.
You can do Biodigest and Zeostart. I used to use Zeostart without Zeolite simply as a carbon source for the tank in the past as well. I just wasn't happy with the Po4 levels by doing that ;-) Like to get them lower.
That slime you mention is a bacteria that becomes a problem in certain tanks that run on Zeo and Zeofood along with the other zeo products.
You may need to reduce the amount of Zeostart when this slime appears and also avoid Amino acids in case you do that. Something is fueling these brown slime bacteria in your case.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you keeping your alk level currently and also your PH?

Also do you have anymore growth shots and comparisons?
Alk I'm hovering around 8 usually.
PH I like to get to 8.1-8.2 but not lower than 7.8 in the night.
Right now I achieve 8.1 in the day via Co2 scrubbing.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you keeping your alk level currently and also your PH?

Also do you have anymore growth shots and comparisons?
I have to do some current shots of the colonies that I grew within the last 12 months from sticks such as RR Vinh, Grape Juice, WD's and some others I started with seed sticks from ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to do some current shots of the colonies that I grew within the last 12 months from sticks such as RR Vinh, Grape Juice, WD's and some others I started with seed sticks from ;-)
Still have somewhere the crappy shots I did for comparison of the sticks!

Back