Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a couple of well known dips and none was effective enough, some did not do anything. Also PC is offering the Tank treatment as well, but requires fish to be removed, however I did already 2 tank treatments with guidance and kept all fish in.
That will be described in part 2 ;-)

Reason why cutting off healthy coral to save the coral somewhat is working in certain cases, is that the parasite works it's way toward the coral until finished. So a cut far away enough can help unless the frag gets re infected by the free floating parasites from handling the infected corals :-(

What’s the active ingredient in Prime Coral Stop?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the active ingredient in Prime Coral Stop?

Don't know ....... can't see it !!!
Man, they won't write that on the bottle !!!! It's a magic juice with proprietary mix of natural herbs and plant extracts. It's not an antibiotic and no chemical really.

All I care is it works against the STN/RTN parasites.
They claim it is also against flatworms, monti nudis and other parasites, so if that all is true, then no Bayer needed anymore ;-)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't know ....... can't see it !!!
Man, they won't write that on the bottle !!!! It's a magic juice with proprietary mix of natural herbs and plant extracts. It's not an antibiotic and no chemical really.

All I care is it works against the STN/RTN parasites.
They claim it is also against flatworms, monti nudis and other parasites, so if that all is true, then no Bayer needed anymore ;-)

They’re fixing to be rich. I wonder why fish need to be removed? I know you did a successful treatment with some fish, but I’m qurious why they say that.? Sounds like nothing that would affect them.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I looked at a small frag of Setosa tonight. There were some swimmers, but I can’t say they were Parasites or Protozoa that were attacking the coral. I tried a small piece without doing a smear, but my scope is only illuminated from the bottom which made it more difficult. I had to use an external light source which worked fairly well. I then scraped the necrosis line around the affected tissue from all sides, but didn’t observe any large numbers like yours Andre. Your numbers were very impressive on that smear.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Nikon Eclipse E200. I did take some video, but it’s really not much to see. I’ll save it in case I see something similar later on and want to compare them.

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This reminds me of the time that I saw a crab eating on my green slimer. I saw the crab munching away, and I saw some tissue loss. Possibly, the crab is eating the flesh. The other possibility is that the crab is eating the mucus that is generated from the irritation, which caused the coral to lose skin. Those "parasites" are just as likely to be the clean up crew to the dying coral as they are to be the cause of it. With all other variables more or less constant in nature, drastic fluctuating temperature causes corals to lose skin. When a coral in your tank is given all the same parameters but the lights stay on for three days while you're on vacation, the corals lose skin. There are many variables that cause corals to lose skin, and parasites are just one of them. So far, what I've seen is correlation, not causation.

What makes it suspicious is that this new research, which exposes a problem, comes from working hand in hand with the company that sells the solution to this problem. Also, the active ingredient in said solution hasn't been exposed yet, so there's no way for others to test this as an independent variable. Seems more like a sales pitch than research.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a Nikon Eclipse E200. I did take some video, but it’s really not much to see. I’ll save it in case I see something similar later on and want to compare them.

Try a razor blade and scrape off the Twilight zone and place it under the scope in a drop of water.

That will reveal if Ciliates are on the work here ;-)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen enough parasites under a microscope and I can tell you all that I’ve NEVER seen anything like this. I even have access to a lab at work where I constantly look at stuff when I’m in there.

I gotta say that I think this guy is really on to something here. I’m a believer!

Check the swarm in this video! These could RTN a coral colony in a 24 hour period. EASY!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, it goes back to what I was saying before. Something triggers these parasites. I personally think it’s a smell or chemical that’s released when the coral is stressed. That trigger brings the mother load! :eek:

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Andre, it goes back to what I was saying before. Something triggers these parasites. I personally think it’s a smell or chemical that’s released when the coral is stressed. That trigger brings the mother load! :eek:
Maybe it's the stress of temperature swings, parameter swings, salinity swings, etc that cause these events. You can no more prove that these "parasites" are there to feed on the flaking off skin than you can prove that they are the cause of it. Am I taking crazy pills or am I missing something?

Prime Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your experience. The parasites enter healthy corals and infect their tissue and skeletons gastrovascular cavity. The RTN and STN parasites move quite easily throughout the entire coral, eating, mating and making exponentially more parasites. They have always been there every case of coral tissue necrosis.
Learn more here
https://coralrtn.com/

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This reminds me of the time that I saw a crab eating on my green slimer. I saw the crab munching away, and I saw some tissue loss. Possibly, the crab is eating the flesh. The other possibility is that the crab is eating the mucus that is generated from the irritation, which caused the coral to lose skin. Those "parasites" are just as likely to be the clean up crew to the dying coral as they are to be the cause of it. With all other variables more or less constant in nature, drastic fluctuating temperature causes corals to lose skin. When a coral in your tank is given all the same parameters but the lights stay on for three days while you're on vacation, the corals lose skin. There are many variables that cause corals to lose skin, and parasites are just one of them. So far, what I've seen is correlation, not causation.

What makes it suspicious is that this new research, which exposes a problem, comes from working hand in hand with the company that sells the solution to this problem. Also, the active ingredient in said solution hasn't been exposed yet, so there's no way for others to test this as an independent variable. Seems more like a sales pitch than research.

Maybe it's the stress of temperature swings, parameter swings, salinity swings, etc that cause these events. You can no more prove that these "parasites" are there to feed on the flaking off skin than you can prove that they are the cause of it. Am I taking crazy pills or am I missing something?
You are very wrong my friend ;-)

When you have the equipment and time to spend, you can observe these ciliates munching alive and LIVE the tissue away ;-)

You are coming up with assumptions and maybes, I have Videos providing at least more than your assumptions ;-)

That is the difference nowadays, a fact you can't ignore, no matter with how many arguments and assumptions you come up with.
As I said before, there are events of a true expel which I can show you a video I made how the tissue expel looks like under the microscope, and there are no ciliates at all when this is happening not even as a scavenger.
And then you will see the video of how the parasites are eating the tissue and zooxanthellea, that will make even you thinking Cody!

Wait with the destructive comments until the end, and you have seen the whole picture.
Agree, there is of course someone who is after the money after all!
But I tell you, there is an interesting story behind the development of this dip!!!

-Andre

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:p

When you have the equipment and time to spend, you can observe these ciliates munching alive and LIVE the tissue away ;-)

You are coming up with assumptions and maybes, I have Videos providing at least more than your assumptions ;-)

That is the difference nowadays, a fact you can't ignore, no matter with how many arguments and assumptions you come up with.
As I said before, there are events of a true expel which I can show you a video I made how the tissue expel looks like under the microscope, and there are no ciliates at all when this is happening not even as a scavenger.
And then you will see the video of how the parasites are eating the tissue and zooxanthellea, that will make even you thinking Cody!

Wait with the destructive comments until the end, and you have seen the whole picture.
But I tell you, there is an interesting story behind the development of this dip!!!

-Andre

Yep, he’s a little upset about all this, but he’ll get over it. :p

For me, the videos all speak for themselves. Very strong work Andre and that doctor is spot on. His videos are so impressive! Still a lot of unanswered questions, but more research will hopefully shine some light on things!

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

-Andre
So let's see this live. I follow logic, not my own pride. We live in the same city so walk me through it and I will be waving the banner until my arms are tired if it is true. Can I bring you a healthy frag and you demonstrate to me how the parasites will kill a healthy, encrusted frag?

CodyBot

Game Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'll extend the same offer to you that I extended to reefaholic. Give me a shot of tank water that has those parasites in it and I'll throw it in my display tank. If after six months most of the corals are alive, you owe me $100. If most are dead, then I owe you $100. Care to put your theory to the test?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for sharing your experience. The parasites enter healthy corals and infect their tissue and skeletons gastrovascular cavity. The RTN and STN parasites move quite easily throughout the entire coral, eating, mating and making exponentially more parasites. They have always been there every case of coral tissue necrosis.
Learn more here
https://coralrtn.com/

To me this is the only thing that makes real sense. @Prime Coral... Seeing that swarm video was super impressive to me. I’ve been looking through my microscope for quite a while now. From fish parasites to everything in between. I even have access to the lab at work. I’ve never seen anything like these guys. During the years I would see a RTN/STN thread and often wonder what could be responsible for such rapid tissue necrosis. I always felt like something was eating the coral tissue and that it wasn’t merely the tissue dying. I do believe tissue can die, but I don’t feel that it can die with that rate of speed. I also think that your’re right about different species. Looks very apparent on the videos. Due to the shape and speed of the RTN parasites, I think you’ve nailed them Doc! It’s logical for me and I really don’t care who believes or disbelieves. Your videos speak for themselves. Please continue this research and keep us updated so we can all learn how to stop or at least “control” RTN/STN forever. Thanks for all your hard work!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll extend the same offer to you that I extended to reefaholic. Give me a shot of tank water that has those parasites in it and I'll throw it in my display tank. If after six months most of the corals are alive, you owe me $100. If most are dead, then I owe you $100. Care to put your theory to the test?

Cody,

I work in the medical field as you know because we live in the same area and share the same local forum. Look, when an adult or child catches a bacterial or viral infection- does everybody catch that infection? Will all the kids at school or at the hospital catch it? No...of course not. The same goes for parasitic infections with fish. Just because one fish is affected by ICH and is dying doesn’t mean that all fish will die. However, it’s present in the tank and most likely present in the gills of most fish but no visual symptoms can be observed. Look at Uronema. It affects certain species A LOT MORE than others. It can remain in a tank and feed merely on detritus without ever affecting one single fish. However, when a fish becomes weak it triggers the Uronema to feed or attack. It’s like they just know and are waiting for that meal. In the same way some people are not affected by the same bacterial infection that’s taking a toll on their wife or child. We don’t have all the answers now, but at least we’re testing and doing research to move in the right direction. I think that in the near future we will have much more control over RTN/STN than we’ve ever had before. Who knows...if enough people test and we all share the feedback and video evidence we might be able to stop it permanently. Trying to fight against it helps nobody. We need to unite!

mclark452

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So let's see this live. I follow logic, not my own pride. We live in the same city so walk me through it and I will be waving the banner until my arms are tired if it is true. Can I bring you a healthy frag and you demonstrate to me how the parasites will kill a healthy, encrusted frag?
Cody
I think everyone agrees that these parasites won't kill a healthy frag. The coral has to be stressed in some way. These critters are opportunistic. This subject has been beaten to death over the past several weeks in a local facebook group. You are kinda late to the party. Andre has done enough public, transparent testing to convince pretty much everyone but you. Andre was skeptical himself at the beginning. I remember when this all started. You don't have to have a shot of tank water. Unless you eradicated them, you already have them......waiting. For what its worth, I've ordered mine and Nick at OLA is treating one of his tanks right now.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back