Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that!

I have a green slimer I’m fixing to test. It’s been out of water for 6 hours now. Hope I see something interesting. It’s only a small nub though.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roger that!

I have a green slimer I’m fixing to test. It’s been out of water for 6 hours now. Hope I see something interesting. It’s only a small nub though.
I had done a side experiment, I took coral fragments from the dip process that actually broke off during dipping, kept them in the bags I used for dipping dry with no water for 17 hours and installed them after on frag plugs. By now, 3 out of 5 are happy as they can be, but will elaborate more later on this one ;-)

You got to make a jar of tank water and get ALK to 11-12 or so and put it in for a few hours and then back into the tank!
That stress may trigger the coral being weak enough if you have the parasite in the tank ;-)
If not I can give you some, my window sill is full of petri dishes, lol

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had done a side experiment, I took coral fragments from the dip process that actually broke off during dipping, kept them in the bags I used for dipping dry with no water for 17 hours and installed them after on frag plugs. By now, 3 out of 5 are happy as they can be, but will elaborate more later on this one ;-)

You got to make a jar of tank water and get ALK to 11-12 or so and put it in for a few hours and then back into the tank!
That stress may trigger the coral being weak enough if you have the parasite in the tank ;-)
If not I can give you some, my window sill is full of petri dishes, lol

I need some Petri’s. I’m off this weekend. Let me know.

So took the small Green Slimer nub out of the tank that I previously fragged twice trying to stop the STN. I kept cutting it higher and higher. After the 2nd cut it was still STNing and that’s when I took it out and placed it in a small cup of tank water. It was out about 6 hours. No philaster’s swimming, but I did observe other small swimmers. It’s still in the cup now. I’ll test again tonight. Nothing video worthy yet.

I feel like they’re much easier to see with a cover slip. I tried to look directly into the water on the slide and although you see swimmers, they are super fast. Maybe if the numbers were a lot higher it would be easier. This was only a nub so it’s not gonna have high numbers. A cover slip restricts their movement. Less water does too.

We need extreme numbers in the Petri dish and then smoke them on video with the dip! Just wait till I get a hold of some!;Muted;Spiderman

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was tonight. Have you ever seen these?? They were on that Green Slimer frag. This was 24 hours after it was out of the tank in a small cup of water.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you need help with?
Lol, I need more time and a better network. Can't smoothly upload the videos from my phone.

I have a lot of things to share on the treatment and also discontinued the "PC Prevent" product and doing Antibiotics right now.
Long story and want to give the full picture about my opinions and experience, so stay tuned.
You can follow the log's on my Facebook profile in the meantime ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, not updating on the tank treatment here, will catch up later when time allows.

However, today I made a big step forward and killed apparently the STN/RTN parasite while doing random experiments ;-)
Working now toward a potential tank treatment if possible and need some more testing done first.

Followers see the videos and logs on FB.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, not updating on the tank treatment here, will catch up later when time allows.

However, today I made a big step forward and killed apparently the STN/RTN parasite while doing random experiments ;-)
Working now toward a potential tank treatment if possible and need some more testing done first.

Followers see the videos and logs on FB.

Isn't Prime Coral already selling this as in tank treatment? Are the directions no good or are you just nervous about putting it in your tank?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't Prime Coral already selling this as in tank treatment? Are the directions no good or are you just nervous about putting it in your tank?
The issue was that the dip seem to work well but the treatment did not show the advertised effect.

Testing something else at the moment.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the in-tank treatment is likely not going to work as advertised and is a bit dangerous dropping NO3 and oxygen levels. Fish aren’t tolerating it well. Inverts are climbing the glass on the initial dose and even when the product is under dosed.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melafix is the best dip I have ever used. It obliterates everything in moments. It's extremely hard on worms. The only things I've seen survive the dip are large bristleworms and snails. And most of them don't last past the 5 minute dip mark either.

Try Melafix as a dip instead of bayer.

Try melafix to see if these things will die. Use the Melafix Pond.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very wrong my friend ;-)

When you have the equipment and time to spend, you can observe these ciliates munching alive and LIVE the tissue away ;-)

You are coming up with assumptions and maybes, I have Videos providing at least more than your assumptions ;-)

That is the difference nowadays, a fact you can't ignore, no matter with how many arguments and assumptions you come up with.
As I said before, there are events of a true expel which I can show you a video I made how the tissue expel looks like under the microscope, and there are no ciliates at all when this is happening not even as a scavenger.
And then you will see the video of how the parasites are eating the tissue and zooxanthellea, that will make even you thinking Cody!

Wait with the destructive comments until the end, and you have seen the whole picture.
Agree, there is of course someone who is after the money after all!
But I tell you, there is an interesting story behind the development of this dip!!!

-Andre

@Cody1 so at least I need to honestly apologize my arrogance and apologize my mistake saying what's been said Cody!
After all and at the end of this TN issue, I have to admit that at the end it apparently was indeed extremely likely a bacterial issue and these ciliates were only a secondary pathogen ;-)
Had a very frustrating time and the early treatment results were clearly misleading into a false direction.
If I would have been a bit more sceptic as usual and would have waited longer, then I likely would not have lost that much and had less collateral damages .........

Anyways, I will still publish some of the videos I made so folks can see this fantastic footage of destruction that is going on in the coral world under microscopic perspective :)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a while now and an up and down on new issues, I'm back to the problem of low PH, even while DO (Dissolved Oxygen) is relatively high!

I did play around a lot with the skimmer, Co2 scrubbing etc. and came to the conclusion that it may not be the reduction of the Co2 on the inlet side of the overall system.

The issue seems to be accumulation of Co2 and insufficient degassing.
In the attempt over the last months to silence the tank system, less overflows, less waterfalls, less splashing noises etc. all contribute in theory to less degassing ability.

So it may be that there is simply an issue of Co2 accumulation in the tank by insufficient degassing .........

To support this theory, I installed a temporary conceptual trickle filter where the water from the overflows has to trickle through a few layers of eggcrate with a mesh, horizontally arranged.
Post a picture later. So the water is basically trickling through the layers open on the sides to allow co2 to degass.

Last days PH in the morning dropped down to 7.6...... :-(
So just installed this setup yesterday evening and PH this morning was up to 7.8, so it did show effect. Will see how this works out over a few days now.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a while now and an up and down on new issues, I'm back to the problem of low PH, even while DO (Dissolved Oxygen) is relatively high!

I did play around a lot with the skimmer, Co2 scrubbing etc. and came to the conclusion that it may not be the reduction of the Co2 on the inlet side of the overall system.

The issue seems to be accumulation of Co2 and insufficient degassing.
In the attempt over the last months to silence the tank system, less overflows, less waterfalls, less splashing noises etc. all contribute in theory to less degassing ability.

So it may be that there is simply an issue of Co2 accumulation in the tank by insufficient degassing .........

To support this theory, I installed a temporary conceptual trickle filter where the water from the overflows has to trickle through a few layers of eggcrate with a mesh, horizontally arranged.
Post a picture later. So the water is basically trickling through the layers open on the sides to allow co2 to degass.

Last days PH in the morning dropped down to 7.6...... :-(
So just installed this setup yesterday evening and PH this morning was up to 7.8, so it did show effect. Will see how this works out over a few days now.

Andre, are you running a CaRx or dosing?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre, are you running a CaRx or dosing?
I'm running a Calcium reactor.
Usually with low effluent rate and 2 post chambers filled with Calcium reactor media.

I feel that Co2 degassing is an issue rather than Co2 import from Carx and Skimmer air.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a little microscopic work of the TN issues I went through ;-)

This is material being examined which was pulled off the white band line with a syringe. You see plenty of ciliates munching the tissue.

This is one of my favorite Videos, showing from top down the surface of a WD Acro frag, lost in the battle .......

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back