Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure do recognize a lot of corals.
When I'm home sick for a full blown SPS tank I just buy a six-pack and come over to crash the Heimat Fest :rolleyes:

Ben, yes, many of those came from the Dieseltank ;-)

Working now on the recover of the ones I lost and need again ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I fulfilled my statement.

Full blown Reeftank within a week!
Will post pictures of the tank ASAP as it’s looking now.
Had to glue some corals back together and played some more with the scape.

See the first fragpack going out today ;-)

carlson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick Video after 1 week of my temporary 300DD which I used to keep all the Corals while rebuilding the house and get a new tank in place, so you can get an idea what amount of Livestock the tank has to bear instantly ;-)

Sorry for the limited Video quality.

This tank looks like is sucks pure calcium chloride through a straw

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks like is sucks pure calcium chloride through a straw

This was the weeded out temporary tank. The 210 had all this stuff in and more and most people won’t admit that, but the Calcium Reactor could not keep up with the CA drop so I had also to dose or correct weekly the levels.

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the weeded out temporary tank. The 210 had all this stuff in and more and most people won’t admit that, but the Calcium Reactor could not keep up with the CA drop so I had also to dose or correct weekly the levels.
What do you mean by most people won't admit?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by most people won't admit?
Most people will tell you all you need is a Calcium Reactor and you won't need to worry anymore about Calcium levels, just very very occasional.

That's not true in heavy loaded systems. The reactor will be used to maintain ALK only. Thats the driving parameter.
Calcium typically should only be corrected once in a while.
In my case I had to correct weekly from CA of 400 back up to 425/430.
In order to keep the CA more stable I additionally will have to dose some Calcium chloride through a dosing pump!

Well I have to say, if you get in the growth kickstart, then these corals consume a heck of a lot, and it seems to me that TLF Reborn is a very good and my preferred media, but is not as calcium loaded as some more synthetic calcium media.
Long story short, just having a Calcium reactor, doesn't mean a worry free life, some people won't admit that if their tank is thriving.
Talking to good friends with heavy SPS loaded system, tell me the same issue.

Hope that helps ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Day 7 after first fill !!!
Fullfilled my promise and made it a full blown Reef Tank within the first week
1f609.png

Now some more fish and other critters to come. And Yes, the sand is getting as well
1f609.png

But the last days were about cutting, glue and seeding corals.

Dosing minimal Nitrates and some ammonia..... All parameter concerning the cycle are looking excellent.
My Salt batch ticked me off with super low potassium levels.
Time to get back to Tropic Marin Salt !!!

Other than that, my flooded APEX controller did not left me hanging in there with no PH....
It still works and is at least giving me Tank PH, Tank temp and Calcium reactor PH ;-)

So in the next days I have to do something to clean up the temporary power wiring and so on.
Oh, and I had the first Frag Pack leaving the tank today as well.
Couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was trying to send you a PM but seems like you don't allow that on here. thanks for sharing your build and all the photos and video. I'm confident this will turn out awesome.

I wanted to see if you would be interested in a really nice solution for an internal overflow (https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fs-brand-new-custom-internal-overflow-for-large-display.343873). seeing how you've done things very cleanly and looking for a solution for an overflow. i would definitely encourage getting rid of the the real-estate-hogging overflows in the corners which is easily done and go for something like the internal I am selling and an external box.

have you given thought to running a bean animal set up or external overflow?
Hey Monkiboy..............

I was a real bad bad boy and got into the R2R jail for a while. When I got out, they took my rights to write and receive PM's, also I can't access the Sales forum areas!!! All not allowed for me ;-)

I have planned to setup Herbies with emergency overflows in each corner.
Done with the temporary tank already and I did not even hear anything !!!
Really nice.

However, I could do custom overflows since I have 4 x 1" holes in the glass bottom and as you mentioned, the plastic overflows are easily removed.
If I go with custom internal overflow boxes, I would not even need to drain the tank.
Just removing the cornerflow and mount custom overflow boxes on top of the pipes down the bottom.
Standpipes would be covered by rock and decoration.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a thread here. I actually just found out yesterday that it wasn’t keeping it stable. I only test alk normally but I checked calc a couple months ago and it was 440. I tested calc yesterday and it was 370ish.

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to use your thread but I figured I would tell you. It turns out it was a bad test kit and my calcrx was keeping up with calc. I dosed calcium thinking it was low and now my calc is 520...:confused:

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to use your thread but I figured I would tell you. It turns out it was a bad test kit and my calcrx was keeping up with calc. I dosed calcium thinking it was low and now my calc is 520...:confused:
Ouch, too high.
Best to get down in good levels under 500 at least, take co2 off the reactor and dose a mix of Alk via dosimg pumps otherwise it will take forever ;-)

Get down to 425/430

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not everything goes smooth ;-)

When I picked up my Blue tang it had a white eye and started Ich signs.

Just wanted to share my receipe I always do when I see signs of ich!

I just take tetra flakes and soak those in Selcon or Selco Boost to give the fish an vitamin boost.
I feed that multiple times a day for a few days only.

That typically helps the recovery within a few days.

Today the Ich is almost gone and the eye looks much much better ;-)

Hope this becomes useful to many who follow this thread ;-)

Andre

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see your tank up and running again. Can't believe Harvey caused you this much work!

Do you have a pump running behind the rock work? Wondering what keeps detritus from collecting.

Glad to see the clam made it too!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here are some fatalities from the broken tank :-(
Trying to identify what's been lost completely and hunting for Corals now, that I did not have a backup frag or second colony of.

The WD frags I posted earlier, I made of the colony were all lost except one bigger chunk and a stick. So they don't seem to TN and have been seeded out into the display for re-grow out ;-)
Will take a picture as soon my cam is found, lol.

I can proudly say that I enjoy watching the high end SPS gaining color and fluorescence daily.
That keeps the motivation up.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 70 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back