Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

Many know me already from Hobby Magazines and articles on the web, reading my ebook “Andre’s Reef Guide”, buying some frags locally in Houston and the local Reef Club as well from YouTube & Facebook where I share a lot of stuff around the hobby, and last but not least here on the R2R forum ;-)

I got my previous 210G tank successful through the Harvey Flood while working on the tank in the flood waters. See this link for more details on that adventure on it’s own where Revthree started this thread.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/our-member-psxerholic-is-getting-hit-pretty-hard.322824/

Here my previous tank presentation of the 210 from a while back:
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/psxerholics-210-gallon-reef-in-reefcity-houston.235601/

So after the flood I had to relocate my tank and decided to buy a 2year old temporary 300DD tank which turned out to be a bad idea, since the tank broke on the bottom seal and the entire tank drained within 2 hours in the night causing all kind of headache while the house was in the rebuild phase.

Long story short, I fell in love with the Dimensions and got me a brand new water reservoir of that type.

Now this is going to be the build thread for my new 300DD SPS tank which is going to be very challenging but likely very interesting.

GOAL #1 – Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank within a week after the initial filling
I need to get my remaining livestock back, I could rescue in the tank breaking event.
Hence I will get the reef running asap, and do the furniture work while the system is running.

At the moment I’m waiting for the Metal Stand fabrication to be completed and shipped.
That I do to make sure the Manufacturer will cover damages by another tank break. The new tank is sealed much better and I could see the improved fabrication, however, many find it very risky. Well, me too !!!

In the meantime I hope the house will be at least painted in the office room where the tank is going to be installed to avoid moving this beast around.

Also I keep cleaning up all the equipment that I have, and intend to use for this setup.
All my Corals I have at a friends local store, waiting for the return :)

Current status picture

One thing I did in advance was to install RODI tubing while the walls were gone, so the stand will have the RODI unit accommodated. Also a sort of Water change system is planned for as operated in my previous setup.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could say it was a huge healthy colony. But I was pretty rough on the tri color. It's still alive and I actually have a frag on a plug, but it's barely alive. I have no doubt it would recover better in your tank.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great I like the RO tubing in the wall coming out of a junction box thats an awesome idea if your sheetrock is already off or are building a new house! This is giving me bad ideas haha
Dude, pure Reefer Madness !!!! ;-)
Running RODI tubing first while the walls are off after a disaster instead of doing other stuff, lol.

You should have seen the drain points into the drain of sink thats in the powder room behind the tank.
Having no walls was the perfect chance to run water supply and drain tubing into my office where I wanted my tank in so badly since years.

The 300DD gives so much room underneath that my entire Reef Setup will nicely fit in and around the stand.
I need to have all sort of stuff accomodated that need normally plenty of space.
However I'm a friend of innovative ideas to make things compact as possible.

This 300 Gallon system is going to be packed with Corals, and no fish room will be needed (since I do not have one ......)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a quick Video after 1 week of my temporary 300DD which I used to keep all the Corals while rebuilding the house and get a new tank in place, so you can get an idea what amount of Livestock the tank has to bear instantly ;-)

Sorry for the limited Video quality.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I'm following this bad boy! Do you have a full list of equipment you will be running? This is going to be a killer build!
Well not really a list yet.
But here is the ballpark from what I recall I wanted to use:
ATI Powermodule 60"
3 or 4 Jebao PP25 controlled by APEX controller with randomized controlled flow pattern
Vario 8 Main Pump
MAG 9.5 Utility Pump
GEO 818 Calcium Reactor and Carbon doser regulator
GEO or PM Carx 2nd Chamber
Avast Marine Vibe 4 used as a Bacteria Reactor
Skimz Monzter SM251
1 or 2 APEX Classic systems
ATO system including redundant Solenoids
2 RODI Booster pumps for water change system
40 Gallon Breeder sump
20 Gallon Sockholder custom pre sump
2 x 8" x 16" Felt socks with holes
RODI System
Aqua Medic 8 Channel dosing system
TMC 110W UV Unit on main return line
Maybe a 2nd Aqua UV 52W Backup UV Unit
Light bars in the Cabinet
Additional Sump level switches
150-200lbs Dry Rock
Pipework for rocks to hold
Hmmmmmm so far that's it I guess.

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not really a list yet.
But here is the ballpark from what I recall I wanted to use:
ATI Powermodule 60"
3 or 4 Jebao PP25 controlled by APEX controller with randomized controlled flow pattern
Vario 8 Main Pump
MAG 9.5 Utility Pump
GEO 818 Calcium Reactor and Carbon doser regulator
GEO or PM Carx 2nd Chamber
Avast Marine Vibe 4 used as a Bacteria Reactor
Skimz Monzter SM251
1 or 2 APEX Classic systems
ATO system including redundant Solenoids
2 RODI Booster pumps for water change system
40 Gallon Breeder sump
20 Gallon Sockholder custom pre sump
2 x 8" x 16" Felt socks with holes
RODI System
Aqua Medic 8 Channel dosing system
TMC 110W UV Unit on main return line
Maybe a 2nd Aqua UV 52W Backup UV Unit
Light bars in the Cabinet
Additional Sump level switches
150-200lbs Dry Rock
Pipework for rocks to hold
Hmmmmmm so far that's it I guess.

Wow that's a pretty intense list. What are you doing with the aquamedic?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's a pretty intense list. What are you doing with the aquamedic?
Not 100% sure.
For sure the following:
1. Nitrate
2.Strontium
3.Iodide
4.Magnesium stock solution (in addition to the Carx MG media)

5-8. I may give the "KZ Coral System" a chance ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run into the situation where I need to adjust CA and MAG weekly, so I like to dose at least MAG in addition. CA correction is within 20ppm, so not too bad ;-)

swayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always run into the situation where I need to adjust CA and MAG weekly, so I like to dose at least MAG in addition. CA correction is within 20ppm, so not too bad ;-)

Oh, could not hold back this quick video of the Aqua SD Rainbow Milli.....................
That was in the temporary tank and survived all the drama.

Glad when it's back safe :)
That makes sense and man does that milli glow! Can't wait to see more!

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Build thread whoopee! I got my Popcorn and a nice cold beverage, hey I like that toilet bowl skimmer. what is that in the first video in post #18
This is going to be an odd build thread since I want to get my tank up and running within a week after filling.

Means all the fine art of furniture and technical details will come after the setup.
Likley run most systems in manual mode :)

The first coral in Post#18 is the ol school RR The Vinh.
Video doesn't show the real fluorescence in that vibrant color ........

-Andre

Back