Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

Reeferdude1888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also gave this thing a go, a ZeoVibe reactor filled with Siporax Pond as Biofilter. The Siporax in my Sump always clogs so I'm giving the 300Gallon filtration system some support with this method of applying the Siporax. From experience the Siporax will do quite a good job of reducing No3, but not that good on the Po4 hence I keep the 2 Chaeto Reactors working. Will let it grow for a while before start using the Vibe function.
Hi I see you are running siporax in a reactor I've been thinking about doing this how efficient is it and how mutch flow do u put through it.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve spent two days reading this from the beginning and I don’t even have any words...I think you might have about 3 square inches of rock exposed, better get something new quick! ;Joyful Really spectacular tank @PSXerholic!

Sabdali

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught up on the thread. What a read! I feel like I've been running my tank entirely wrong lol especially in regards to the careful attention on bacteria.

BTW Andre I'm a Cypress local so if you ever need help in the move or anything, let me know. I'm always down to help

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally caught up on the thread. What a read! I feel like I've been running my tank entirely wrong lol especially in regards to the careful attention on bacteria.

BTW Andre I'm a Cypress local so if you ever need help in the move or anything, let me know. I'm always down to help
Great! Good to know to have some reinforcements ready ;-)

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre, I read through this whole thread and need to go back and do it again! Im sure you've talked about this but how big of a deal do you think ph plays with acro growth? Do you think a tank that has everything else in order would benefit from getting the ph up from 7.8 to 8.2+ ? Admittedly its one of the parts of the hobby that Ive mostly ignored but I've also never lived in a home where the windows are shut and a/c is on as much as my current place.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tenor.gif

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Andre, I read through this whole thread and need to go back and do it again! Im sure you've talked about this but how big of a deal do you think ph plays with acro growth? Do you think a tank that has everything else in order would benefit from getting the ph up from 7.8 to 8.2+ ? Admittedly its one of the parts of the hobby that Ive mostly ignored but I've also never lived in a home where the windows are shut and a/c is on as much as my current place.
I tell you that PH is extremely influencing and important, but won't need to be chased down if in an acceptable range. There is plenty of scientific evidence that explains the calcification process and how important the role of the PH of the water is.
The health and beauty of corals depends on the limitations that we need to fullfill.
Let's say you do my known method of ICP and controlled Trace elements supplementation which will take care of the limiting factor of "all traces" that corals need in accordance to today's awareness.
Then you have some detectable nutrients in an acceptable range, and not too much distracting nuisance algae, pests and undesired bacteria such as cyano etc. So far a functional biology.
Then your light is decent and not overblasting your corals for an acceptable amount of light per day.
Your daily stability is somewhat ok, and you feed your corals few times a week with a variety of dry and maybe frozen and liquid food supplements, and some drops of vitamins here and there.
Your flow in the tank is ok, decent flow in most areas, except the little problem corners ;-)

Now....... in this scenario (almost) everything is basically fulfilled for great growth and majority of limitations have been overcome.

In case the PH is low like below 7.8 in the morning and a peak of 7.9-8.0, you will see a much slower growth than a lowest PH in the morning of 7.95 and a peak of 8.23-8.3 in the afternoon!
Lower PH can be used for troubleshooting the tanks behavior in regards to it's buffer system, Co2 degassing/accumulation behavior, and as well to see if there are undesired accumulations of nitric acids, fouled amino acids or many other acids that can accumulate over time which can also depress the PH of the tank, doesn't matter how wide open the windows are.

I tell everyone to measure continuously the PH on a handheld meter or more advanced controller if possible, whatever the wallet allows. But don't miss it out to measure the PH.
You can improve color and health by measuring your PH because typically the PH can be super informative when something goes wrong ;-)

And don't believe your ALK level is a simple parameter, it's actually one of the most and least understood parameter in the hobby. It's just super super super simplified for the community, since in most cases it does not really matter until things are going to happen that can't be explained and then folks do a restart or give up after a while ;-)

Answer, yes it does matter, measure it and take it from there.
Use good probes, and calibrate every 2 months with single use liquid calibration solutions! That's the way with the least trouble when it comes to PH probes and measurements.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simply amazing! I bought a small colony of this coral and was told it is a tri-color. Can you help me identify it? Please excuse the poor quality of my pic! Lol
9E3640A8-4AB8-4F72-A945-29C52CA68424.jpeg
DCD8C4E3-F65D-45C3-95D3-918C56D3CC0A.png
Negative, need a better picture but it looks more like a Staghorn, google Megaman Acro or FHC Blue Rocket maybe

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I see you are running siporax in a reactor I've been thinking about doing this how efficient is it and how mutch flow do u put through it.
Gosh, sorry just realized this post and question.

I use the Vibe function and high flow, about 500-600gph Pump rated flow for this reactor.
The Siporax need high flow and need to remain clean on the surface to allow the nitrate reduction in the inner core, otherwise there is risk to run into biology issues.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank!

I just stumbled onto this thread. I wish that I would have found it sooner, now I have to find time to read 70 pages.

I have always ran Siporax in my sump, now I am thinking of trying a ZEO reactor like your doing. Where are you running the reactor output to? The sump return pump area?

Back