Andre’s Full blown 300Gallon SPS Reeftank up within a week ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have an amazing tank!

I just stumbled onto this thread. I wish that I would have found it sooner, now I have to find time to read 70 pages.

I have always ran Siporax in my sump, now I am thinking of trying a ZEO reactor like your doing. Where are you running the reactor output to? The sump return pump area?

Long story short, I have switched to a new sump, and basically run the third chamber to the chiller , then to the Siporax Reactor and back to the first sump stage drain area.

Jgerm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um I feel silly I didn’t know you live here in Houston. ;Hilarious
I am striving for my little shallow tank to look 1/2 as good as yours! I’ll be needing an Andre frag pack soon. Lol

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a few early morning pictures from the other day.

Big changes are coming, let’s start first with some new lights I can pickup tomorrow, to acclimate the corals to an upcoming transfer into a temporary Lagoon tank.......

E98681-D9-7-E48-45-A6-A162-E50-EE2-CF8454.jpg

FD9268-DE-4-FBA-45-D5-A368-ADC4-F0001-D72.jpg

E2-DADD78-E36-E-4-D85-825-D-D2038703-E63-D.jpg

6-CCA9-B96-EC9-E-4405-95-E1-B19-FD9-B392-C2.jpg

73-F8161-F-36-C3-4-F68-B9-E7-76-B658803-B5-C.jpg

BCBE4-A32-DF8-E-4316-AE84-C141962-A9-B09.jpg

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um I feel silly I didn’t know you live here in Houston. ;Hilarious
I am striving for my little shallow tank to look 1/2 as good as yours! I’ll be needing an Andre frag pack soon. Lol
Sure, hit me up. How big is that little shallow tank?

Easiest way is on FB, just PM me there for some fragtivity ;-)

1604271651058.png

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here a few early morning pictures from the other day.

Big changes are coming, let’s start first with some new lights I can pickup tomorrow, to acclimate the corals to an upcoming transfer into a temporary Lagoon tank.......

E98681-D9-7-E48-45-A6-A162-E50-EE2-CF8454.jpg

FD9268-DE-4-FBA-45-D5-A368-ADC4-F0001-D72.jpg

E2-DADD78-E36-E-4-D85-825-D-D2038703-E63-D.jpg

6-CCA9-B96-EC9-E-4405-95-E1-B19-FD9-B392-C2.jpg

73-F8161-F-36-C3-4-F68-B9-E7-76-B658803-B5-C.jpg

BCBE4-A32-DF8-E-4316-AE84-C141962-A9-B09.jpg

That Efflo is insane! How long have you had that?

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Efflo is insane! How long have you had that?
Yes, this Efflo is quite a piece. I got it originally about a decade ago from an Indo import straight from Route66 through a connection I had. It grows like weed and need lot of fragging, but is the most beautiful bluish type Efflo I ever saw in person. Really pretty and robust too. Named it Andre's Avatar Efflo since if you do your job well, it's glows like the forests in Avatar under Actinic lights.

And a very nice growth pattern even when the colony is small.

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New lights were also installed, very pretty.
I have them running now since already 2 weeks or more and still did not have the time to play around with the light settings.

Very happy with it, even while the visual appearance of the corals can't be beaten by the ATI Powermodule ;-)

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank breakdown is getting closer, I try to sell as many corals as possible in cheap frag packs and larger colonies. Since all Shipping equipment has been boxed and stored for all the time the swap will take, I was able to frag a lot of colonies but still feels like I haven't touched the tank ........

OP
OP
PSXerholic

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soooooooo.............. here it goes towards the end with this thread and closer to the end of this tank :-(

Here the intermediate Lagoon Tank build thread to continue the journey :)

As a temporary tank system, which allows me to start fresh somewhat and select my most favorite corals, it's also a very interesting and somewhat different to run a Lagoon tank.
As well the interest on Lagoon tanks is recently gaining a lot of interest in the community, and to be honest I love the idea of a larger Lagoon afterwards, rather than a large normal shaped rectangled tank.

Dirty summary of the Gameplan is to quickly cycle the new tank for a few days the "Andre way" and then load it all up with corals.
As usual, all this happens within a week or so. For now, I'm waiting for all the equipment to arrive to finalize the build and plumbing.
This Lagoon will have to run independent of the existing tank, to avoid any Aptaisia in this tank, I will not reuse anything from the existing tank either.
Reef Moonshiners method will be applied from the beginning to ensure a smooth start.

Here some sneak peak pictures, of the tank when it arrived with a quick check if I have gotten enough shelf rock for the setup.

The tank is a Neptunian Cube setup, with a however XL Sump variance.
Already love the tank and engineered features. Sump is a beast and well engineered.

Right now I'm finishing the flooring where this Lagoon will be installed in the office, also waiting for more equipment to arrive.
Then I can do the first round of installation of "stuff" to start filling it up ;-)
Very exited.

Here one of the 2 Jebao Crosswave 180's. Will see how they work out in the shallow, biggest Jebao you can get.
I run 2 of these but smaller in my main display since a while, performing very well and robust as well as dead silent.

I have Salt, Powermodule, Tropic Eden Sand, Shelf rock, Oversized pumps, Powerfilter setup and Chaeto , Skimmer, Siporax Pond, Bioballs, Socks, as well as Potato Vodka and tons of Biodigest to startup at least.
Lots of Equipment still needed and not much room down there will require a second cabinet to house the Carx, Dosing, and Controls stuff.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gonna throw my hat in here for whatever it's worth.

A little over six months ago, i collected simultaneously three water samples. I sent one to Triton, one to ICP-Analysis.com and one i used to do measurements with my hobby grade equipment. Attached is a comparison between the two services. If i recall correctly all measurements are included here in ppm (and converted when necessary). If there's enough interest i will dig back and confirm. I don't have the hobby grade results but i might be able to dig them up for reference.

As you can see, most results line up (within error margins) with an exception of a couple. I do have the phosphorus hobby results. The Hana ULR (which has been tested by BRS against expensive lab grade spectrometers) reported 10ppm, Triton came up with 6ppm and ICP-Analysis with 80ppm. I don't have a number for iron.

This shows me that I can rely a lot on the cheaper alternative but might have to be careful with a couple of readings (which might have improved since then).

Not sure if this helps others decide, it helped me for sure. View attachment results.pdf

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back