Andrew's 240 Gallon with Fish Room under stairs Build

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently spent an incredible amount of time looking at others build threads so I figured I would post my own. That and the WWC giveaway gave me a little push.

I currently have a 90 Gallon which I will transfer over to the 240 gallon once its ready. Which is hopefully very soon.

Here is my 90 gallon. I will be placing the new tank along the right side wall. Also, redoing this room and making a office. On the other side is where my fish room will be, which is under my stairs.
90gallontank.jpg
90gallontank1.jpg

Here is when I opened a hole to check out the room under my stairs;

IMG_0835.JPG

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when I think of a project, I get started as soon as possible. I than cut open some drywall and started running some 12 gauge romex. Going to run 2 separate circuits. I am by no means a professional but I'm pretty handy and do everything myself. They are still building houses in my development so I have the privilege of asking for advice if needed. Also, the inspector hooked me up at no cost.
fishroom6.jpg
fishroom3.jpg
wiring1.jpg

Running through a bunch of joists was a pain. However, the holes were there for all the other wires going to the house so it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Took me a day to run separate wires and I closed it up the next day,

wiring2.jpg
wiring3.jpg

On to finishing up the drywall in the fish room and adding receptacles...

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much done with the dreadful putty. As I said before, I am not a professional lol. Lots of sanding!! I also, got the temporary drain and return lines through the wall and added an exhaust fan and I might add another to bring air in. I'm not sure if I should bring air directly from outside or from inside my home. I might wait to see how it handles the moisture during the cycling process. If I ever get to that point.

The room is approximately 9'x5' with a 4'x4' little nook where I will be putting my mixing containers. Its only about 6' high. Even though I'm not even 6' tall or close for that matter, I still bend my necvk over for some reason which kills my neck and back. I will get a little small creeper chair to wheel around once I'm finished.

fishroom2.jpg fishroom.jpg

Its not big but hopefully with good planning it will end up with enough space to feel comfortable in.

That's basically where I'm at now. Today, I will be painting and adding baseboards.

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little painting done, just need to hit up the corners with a paint brusha. I got the baseboards all cut but need to buy another 8' baseboard and some quarter rounds and I'll be ready to set and seal them up. Also, made a little wooden platform for my rodi and salt water containers. Still not sure what I want to do for the flooring. I might just seal them up and leave it as is.

fishroom8.jpg
fishroom7.jpg
fishroom9.jpg

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along for sure. Bc I am in my design stages of a 240 as well.

Awesome. I'm finishing up little details in the room than I'll be setting up mixing station and hopefully I'll have the sump set up by this weekend.

Are you upgrading a tank or just a whole new build?

G8trBait16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is be a whole new build. I have had my 75g for a 1.5 years so far and it is doing well. So I figured what the heck, I want a bigger tank. Was going to do an in-wall tank between my family and living rooms, but found out, that wall is a load bearing wall and I don't want to mess with that. So decided to just do a regular against the wall build in my family room and don't have space for a fish room (I wish I did). It will be a slow build for me, but I should be starting it here sooner than later.

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The plan was to get a hold of a couple new storage containers. However, I thought the height of the ones planned to get were 41" height but they were 43" and I wouldn't be able to fit them unless I changed the drywall under the staircase a little and I am not messing with anymore drywall as I am extremely happy that's over with :). So I just used my brute cans that I've been using, just had to configure them a little bit. I have the a uni seal and 40' of 1/4" tubing on order and that should finish up my mixing station part. Next is setting up the sump. I got a hold of a 75 gallon tank which I will transform to I sump. I will be calling some glass shops today and get some prices. If its too expensive ill just tank apart a 55 gallon tank and use that glass. As I'm trying to keep the wife happy and not spend a fortune

fishroom10.jpg

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently on the search for some glass sheets. Also hopefully I have enough spare wood around to make a nice little stand for my sump.

I got a hold of a used 75 gallon as you can see. It came drilled with two 1" bulkheads. I could cap it or cover the holes but I was thinking of maybe just using it as a flood prevention? I would plumb a line going outside just in case. Just I thought, I would like to hear some opinions.

Also included a picture of my dirty 240 gallon that's been sitting in my garage for a few months now. Hopefully I can get that sucker in by this weekend

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, like every project I start, I end up going backwards because I think of something else along the way. Decided to add a little art to my sump while the glass panels are on the way. Of course I had to rip up some baseboards again but no big deal. I also removed the black frame support because the look of it was driving me crazy haha. I will be euro bracing the top and bottom. I figured since it would only be in about 10-12" of water it shouldn't be an issue.

IMG_1095.JPG

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got the tank inside. Still needs a bit of cleaning. I plan on getting water in sometime this week. As the tank is cycling, I will be skinning the standing and adding a decent sized canopy for easy access to the tank. I'm trying to think of way I can have the canopy mechanically lift up when needed. Also just ordered a Reef Octopus Varios-8 Controllable pump, so looking forward to receiving that this week. I was going to have a closed loop system but I think I'm going to just close them up. I currently have a gyre powerhead which ill probably sell with my old setup and get either the newer model or something else.

tank1.jpg

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dude! Awesome job so far! This is going to be super nice when you're finished! Following!

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a hold of a 40 gallon tank for $15. I took it apart to make the panels in my sump. Great deal and I got it just in time to cancel my online order. Saved about $70.

7d5228c1ce8e15788b482bfdf6f5d9c4.jpg

I went at it with a razor blade and scraper for awhile but the glass panels were to close together and couldn't fit in between. Finally I got a filler gauge to fit in between and break the sealant apart.

cd72d83ce3aa42a851c4ec4fff5b62e9.jpg

190e43885187f9a95d66d9682b39bb8d.jpg

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently mixing water and it will have water in it tomorrow. Hopefully it's full by Sunday and start the cycle process! Also my LFS is giving me a great deal on rock so I'll be picking up about 100 pounds of that

OP
OP
AndrewNC

AndrewNC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got my sump up and running. Going to be putting everything inside the sump today. Waiting on some sand and lights for my display tank
dad48b7e1c89e2faeea1f27ac64fd6f4.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back