Anemone? Aiptasia? Something else?

Fishtastrophy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what this is? I've found a few of them in my sump now.

Sump is so weird lately - i'm growing snails down there from tiny little specks (I've moved a few up to my display now, and left others), I had a bunch of pineapple sponges (nutrients were high, but they've been brought down over the past couple of weeks), and now this thing.

It's not as stringy as other Aiptasia I've seen (and clear with maybe orange tips?), and in my dark sump. When I shine a flashlight on it (like, to get these blurry, bigfoot-quality pics), it closes up. Was just a little lump after I was done taking pictures. Thoughts?

topdown.jpg

sideview.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fishtastrophy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, guys. I'll keep an eye on them and see if they continue to shape up this way!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Any idea what this is? I've found a few of them in my sump now.

Sump is so weird lately - i'm growing snails down there from tiny little specks (I've moved a few up to my display now, and left others), I had a bunch of pineapple sponges (nutrients were high, but they've been brought down over the past couple of weeks), and now this thing.

It's not as stringy as other Aiptasia I've seen (and clear with maybe orange tips?), and in my dark sump. When I shine a flashlight on it (like, to get these blurry, bigfoot-quality pics), it closes up. Was just a little lump after I was done taking pictures. Thoughts?

topdown.jpg

sideview.jpg
Agree on ball anemone which is actually a mushroom coral but with the balls on the tips, given its name. Many reefers actually keep these as they rarely if ever sting, multiply very slowly and have nice colors- Its your call

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what anemone it is since, in dimly-lit sumps, anemones often take on different growth forms than they do under more intense light. Have you found any in your display?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back