Anemone and Clownfish Combos: Majestic or Nah..?

Do you have a clownfish and anemone combo in your aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • NO but I want to in the future

Votes: 135 32.7%
  • NO not really interested in it

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 25 6.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We're kicking off a week of talking about Anemones and Clownfish so why not talk about them together? There is just something majestic, in my opinion, about the symbiotic relationship between a clownfish and it's anemone home. The swimming in and out, the nestling in at night, the protection they provide one another and more. Let's talk about it!

Do you share the love of a clownfish and anemone relationship and if so why or why not?

Do you have a clownfish and anemone combo in your aquarium?

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 10-19-55 Colourful clownfish carry an unusual health warning for pred...png

image via @Reinhard Dirscherl / Alamy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Funny is, I did
I have 4 breeding pairs with 5 BTA nems and once they bred, they rarely look at the anemones

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns hang around my hammer; one would be face down in the Duncan too, but I moved the duncan as he didn't seem to like it. No nem in that tank for them to host.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've never had an issue with my clowns hosting an available anemone. It's got to be my favorite thing about saltwater reef aquariums!

keep your friends close and your anemones closer5.jpg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the dynamic - something just feels great about watching a clown poke through the tentacles of a nem/coral.
I voted other, as I do not have a nem, but my clown hosts a torch coral. Hopefully I can try a nem again soon and she will move over to it.
5E69EA06-CED7-4872-BC92-B05E8F245C2F.jpeg

CookieRdReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 clownfish hosted my powerhead for a year then the back left corner for a year. Jelly discovered zoas are fun to play in one day, then a month later Peanut Butter joined him. I thought mine were broken but they turned into real clownfish :)

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are refusing to host anything but the upper corner the tank, I wish they would host mine anemone
Mine took 2 years and hundreds spent on anemone. Along with pictures taped to glass, videos played on loop, even trying to scare them into the anemone. For all of my effort all I got in return was the female turning into a piranha any time my hand is in the tank.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have both, before I took my tank down. The clowns never did live in the anemone, but they did bother it, and almost went in. I got them to start messing with it by playing an underwater livestream of some pier in Florida for a few hours each day. I guess seeing the barracudas and jacks made them nervous, and they started looking for a new home.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have both, before I took my tank down. The clowns never did live in the anemone, but they did bother it, and almost went in. I got them to start messing with it by playing an underwater livestream of some pier in Florida for a few hours each day. I guess seeing the barracudas and jacks made them nervous, and they started looking for a new home.
Never thought of that. A great idea

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns picked a rock as a host. Guess it beats a powerhead! I'd love to see them wiggling around in an anemone but I'm just a little afraid of 'nems.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns picked a rock as a host. Guess it beats a powerhead! I'd love to see them wiggling around in an anemone but I'm just a little afraid of 'nems.
Why? As long as you have the right conditions they are very hardy animals.

Mr.OK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took 2 years and hundreds spent on anemone. Along with pictures taped to glass, videos played on loop, even trying to scare them into the anemone. For all of my effort all I got in return was the female turning into a piranha any time my hand is in the tank.
Yea, i was going to try the picture thing, there are 2.5 anemone (one got sucked in the fish guard and i had to rip it out, s so it no bigger than quarter, but mouth is close), 2 torches and 1 frogspawn. The main one i want them to host they swim around near it and get close. So maybe they are warming up to it.

Chortanator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two baby black storms, they have no idea what an anemone is. I have two RBTAs, with one of them in a really nice, prominent spot. I was thinking of showing them a video once they establish their sexes because I've had that work in the past

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back