Anemone and Clownfish Combos: Majestic or Nah..?

Do you have a clownfish and anemone combo in your aquarium?

• YES

Votes: 197 47.7%
  • NO but I want to in the future

Votes: 135 32.7%
  • NO not really interested in it

Votes: 56 13.6%
  • Other

Votes: 25 6.1%

• Total voters

OCFishGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my pair of clowns and anemones. Photo t
Clowns_anemone.jpg
aken just minutes ago.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are refusing to host anything but the upper corner the tank, I wish they would host mine anemone

I've had the same problem in the past. But my current 2 clownfish went for the anemone almost immediately, before it was even able to find the place it liked they were trying to make it host. And they will not leave it either hardly. Like not even for food, only what they think is defending it.

I didn't ask if my clownfish were wild caught or captive breed. I assume captive these days, however my clownfish are not designer clowns, so it is possible.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns are divided on their favorite hosts. My male prefers to hang with my Duncans and a couple of the gonis but my female is more interested in hanging with my bta on the right side of my tank. F0E32EC2-41DF-4706-AD55-9A20EE1291E1.jpeg A6937807-3AA7-469D-9927-0617F1890F97.jpeg 584DE950-8FA9-4A30-A238-F3CFB4208CD2.jpeg

Rkdunn1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're kicking off a week of talking about Anemones and Clownfish so why not talk about them together? There is just something majestic, in my opinion, about the symbiotic relationship between a clownfish and it's anemone home. The swimming in and out, the nestling in at night, the protection they provide one another and more. Let's talk about it!

Do you share the love of a clownfish and anemone relationship and if so why or why not?

Do you have a clownfish and anemone combo in your aquarium?

Screenshot 2022-06-13 at 10-19-55 Colourful clownfish carry an unusual health warning for pred...png

image via @Reinhard Dirscherl / Alamy
My clown fish will not get near my anemones.. I wish they would…

tjcmtnbiker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took probably 9months before the first clown figured it out. It then was like she couldn't get enough while #2 remained distant. Then about a month or so later, clown#2 went in. Now my anemone grew so large it split a few weeks ago and now they each have their own! I still get mesmerized when watching them... It's so cool.
20220614_152018.jpg

JKBrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other. My clowns are hosted by a leather coral. When I frag it, they will leave for a week or so. But then one at a time they come back. One of the clowns only gets up to eat. I worried about it when I first discovered it but that was a couple of years ago. Anyone have a reason why she behaves like this? Here is a link to the camera that is zoomed in on them for now.

Attachments

• Leather Clowns.mp4
    4.4 MB

DJMCB35

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mated pair of DaVinci clowns and 2 rather large BTA’s. The clowns have never shown an interest, having only just discovered an Utter Chaos zoa colony that they now seem to have shacked up in. I’d rather they settled in with one of the nems but I’m not going to do anything to overrule their choice.

Attachments

• 44183580-A4F4-43DD-99B0-2E73EFD9E8A7.jpeg
    44183580-A4F4-43DD-99B0-2E73EFD9E8A7.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 45

Janet Belanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two clowns, no nem. They host and lay eggs on the rock.

Attachments

• 20181005_083851.jpg
    20181005_083851.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 50

UltraKelius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two pairs of clowns in different tanks, and they all live in some thing. In my experience the bigger clowns such as Spotcinctus (which I have currently that live in nems), maroons and Clarkiis tend to be straight in a nem or coral. My Percula and Occy pair took months of being glued to top corner of the tank before testing out an elegance coral. Even now they don’t fully live in it like my Spotcinctus do in their nem. Percs and Occys are just a bit weird!!

GoBlue923

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of Snowflake clowns and really want to get an anemone to host them. They’ve been in my tank for 10 months. Anyone with experience getting clowns to take to an anemone. Currently, they just hangout by my overflows (no coral big enough to host). Any advice is appreciated. I would be buying a BTA to host but don’t really want one unless they will take to it.

mandyvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 clownfish hosted my powerhead for a year then the back left corner for a year. Jelly discovered zoas are fun to play in one day, then a month later Peanut Butter joined him. I thought mine were broken but they turned into real clownfish :)
Between powerhead and return, they treat that like an endless swimming pool. I’m leaning towards the same conjecture, that it’s similar to hosting for them. LFS says aquaculture/breeding has bred out the instinct to host an anemone. I think they they work with what they they have.
Ocelleris in the 65 gallon DT and Darwins in the 73 RedSea, same thing, living between the return and powerhead. Loving life! Hungry little dudes, wanna eat whatever you put in. And, they get nosy about whatever changes you make and they want to check it out. Then they go back to where they were.

DavidDB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the watermelon anemones that don't get real big but they reproduce sufficiently in my tank. (I have around 6 of them, just started with one around 2 years ago.) I have 3 clown fish and each clown fish now lives on its own anemone. At times they travel back and forth to check out the occupied anemones. But for the most part they stick to each their own. Then they get all irritated when the anemones close at night.

But the clown fish stay loyal, even if the anemones don't.
I have a dozen or so bubble tip anemones and 3 clowns (clarcksi) and the clowns move around and try to claim different anemones, and seem to dispute over them. I also have 4 white-spot damselfish (dacillus?sp?) and they also hang around and in the anemones but the clowns are more dominant and like to chase them out.

Attachments

• 8C01BAD0-1CB6-4BC0-841A-A47C13372077.mov
    9.9 MB

EndAllTyres-Hoon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns were deathly afraid of my anemone for months, then they spent an entire week just looking at it, now I never see them in any other part of the tank except where the anemone is

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other as I do enjoy the thought of it but my favourite anemones are the Condy and Sebae anemones. I don’t believe any species of clownfish hosts them though.
Plus my clown already adores her to order mushroom rock to the point of biting anyone that touches it.
DDC8527B-1CCC-414A-AFA8-60175DB9BB96.jpeg

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pennywise started trying to host everything. Frogspawn, goniopora, blasto.. so i got him some anemones. him and his friend rarely ever leave them except to eat. dont judge my corals they just woke up
What type nems are they?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 7.1%
Back